OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 02:07 

iskandar taib wrote:
Do you mean reading serves, or dealing with the ball bouncing sideways on the table due to sidespin? To deal with the former I think you'd have to practice (or play games a lot) with someone who has really good serves, and can serve variations with backspin and topspin that look the same. I don't think there are any shortcuts. Just as I didn't get a single one of Brett's serves back, there are people I play against every weekend that I manage to fool maybe 2-3 times a game - they think I'm serving topspin when it's backspin and vice versa. Not enough to beat them all the time, though (I miss too many attacks and my doubles partner often misses a huge proportion of the easy kills which result in the misreading of my serves.. :lol: )

One great learning aid - download Brett's table tennis training app (can't remember what it's called, a search of the forum should find it) from the Android Play Store. The basic app is free, there's a paid upgrade that adds a lot more features. But one part of the app deals with serve recognition - you get to read the serves of several players (mainly Brett and William Henzel). Choose the slowed-down option at the beginning and you get to see how to actually do the serves and to disguise the spin. Brett's pendulum serve is still pretty much unreadable unless you know what to look for - the top and backspin serves look just about identical.

The ball bouncing sideways is also something that you have to practice against. The seamless plastic ball is notorious for this, it took a while to get used to it.

Iskandar

Not the serve, the actual return is deviating by a huge margin. The opponent lets the ball go down and then flicks it so that it sidespins or deviates. When the ball pitches or drops near the net, then I can wait for it to spin and then play my shot but when the ball is played is deep I'm often deceived by the deviating spin. I guess I should move back quickly to deal with it instead of going in for a block.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 17:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah.. Yeah, same idea, I suppose you just have to get used to it over time. The lucky thing is 90% of the time it's going to bounce in the same direction, since you're forcing a return from either the forehand or backhand and the sidespin applied is in the same direction. If you're having trouble with long serves then it's better to receive a half step back - as EmRatThich is fond of pointing out, it's easier and faster to move forwards (to deal with short serves) than to move back, so it's better to start a little further back.

You also encounter this problem playing against lobbers - the ball will bounce sideways quite often.

What's REALLY confusing is dealing with sidespin in pushing exchanges that begin with a sidespin serve - after two or three sidespin pushes everyone forget the direction of the sidespin and someone will push a ball that goes off the side of the table. Especially true at the lower levels of play when people don't know how to attack backspin balls and therefore always push them back.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 19:00 
Super User

[/quote]
Not the serve, the actual return is deviating by a huge margin. The opponent lets the ball go down and then flicks it so that it sidespins or deviates. When the ball pitches or drops near the net, then I can wait for it to spin and then play my shot but when the ball is played is deep I'm often deceived by the deviating spin. I guess I should move back quickly to deal with it instead of going in for a block.[/quote]

Long balls, I would be looking to attack - what ever spin is on the ball, you can override it's effect by playing heavy topspin i.e. thin / fast brush contact, creating more spin than is on the incoming ball, and therefor your spin is applied to the ball over the opponents. Presenting your bat to play a solid bat wont stop the spin, you may be able to control / use it if you have read it correctly...but again, if it's a long ball try and attack it with spin / counter top spin as described.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 20:45 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
stupet11 wrote:
Long balls, I would be looking to attack - what ever spin is on the ball, you can override it's effect by playing heavy topspin i.e. thin / fast brush contact, creating more spin than is on the incoming ball, and therefor your spin is applied to the ball over the opponents. Presenting your bat to play a solid bat wont stop the spin, you may be able to control / use it if you have read it correctly...but again, if it's a long ball try and attack it with spin / counter top spin as described.

Now, if I could just force myself to do this every time...

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 16:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

stupet11 wrote:

You still need to read the spin correctly - attacking a topspin ball isn't the same as attacking a backspin ball. Among the group I play with I'm the only one who tries to loop backspin balls, with varying success. Some days it works, other days I give up and start pushing them back, too.. :lol:

Iskandar