OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 22:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 16:20 

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso Carbo
FH: Dhs Skyline Neo 3
BH: Dhs Skyline Neo 3
Hello guys! Last 3 years I used OFF- blade Donic Waldner Senso Carbon V1. It is good in control but lacks of speed.
I used it with DHS Skyline Neo 3. This rubber was good in spin but I can't play short after opponent serves, lacks of control for me. I wanted to switch to the rubber DHS Gold ARC 8 which is good in Speed and Control. Also I ordered a blade DHS Hurricane H301 http://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.as ... tcode=H301 What can you advice me about my future setup? Is it worh it? I want to try off+ blade with great speed rubber DHS Gold Arc 8. Thank you for your time. I need control to return short balls and speed to loop ball fast.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 16:53 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I strongly suspect that if you can't touch a ball short with Skyline 3 and a DWSC, the problem is with your technique, not your equipment.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 16:58 

Yes my technique is not good, but my rubbers don't make spin anymore. It became old. I wanted to change rubbers. I decided to buy DHS Gold Arc 8. Should I use it with DSWC or I can switch to the DHS Hurricane H301.
The problem is that my rubbers lose all spin. What blade should I use for new rubbers? And how difficult to switch from All+ / Off- blade to Off+? Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 17:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

And Gold Arc 8 isn't going to help things.. it's supposedly a lot faster than H3.. :lol: Get rid of the carbon, go with a slower blade and learn to loop faster.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 18:10 
LP Collector
LP Collector

In most cases I'd avoid anything faster than if- if you struggle with control in the short game.

H3 is a fine choice. Or just get another skyline. Both are excellent for touch and loop.

One caveat - DHS blade speeds are usually 2 notches slower than their label. So a DHS off+ blade is more like an off-

I used the DWSC in my first season of league play. On reflection I think it was a little fast, but it's a fine blade with a nice feel. I'd change as little as possible, and work on your shots. Video them, and post them. Maybe join one of the tt training websites that offer feedback.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 18:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Oh you mean the hurricane 301 blade. I can't comment on that. Never used or seen one.

Goldarc is fine, if you've already bought it. Honestly, don't overthink things. I'd probably just get another skyline, since you're already used to it. But really, anything will do.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 18:44 

LordCope wrote:
Oh you mean the hurricane 301 blade. I can't comment on that. Never used or seen one.

Goldarc is fine, if you've already bought it. Honestly, don't overthink things. I'd probably just get another skyline, since you're already used to it. But really, anything will do.

I highly appreciate your response. I didn't play 1 year, since I graduated from university. I am self-learner, I hadn't coach, so I have problems with my technique. Short serves from pros is a problem for me. But I am not a beginner also. I have good loops from long distance (FH and BH), also can spin from fh and counter-spin as well, have knowledge about different kinds of serves. I won several times really good players who have practice from the school. Unfortunately my first blade was a carbon, not a pure wood. It was about 7 years ago. I went to the competition and met a good player (MS).
He gave me advice to buy carbon blade and rubbers Sriver FX. And it feels good. After 2 years I changed it to DHS Skyline Neo 3. That's my short story. Now I want to play in local tournaments to gain more experience.
The most difficult for me is to play short after my rival serves. I feel lacks of control in these situations.
A big thanks to you!

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 02:41 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Notwithstanding the general point that equipment isn't as much of a factor as is often thought, a few observations:

- I generally find the blade contributes more to the perceived speed of a setup than the rubbers. Hence I'd not be in a hurry to find something faster than you already have. Some might suggest something slower.
- the three rubbers you mention cover a spectrum from medium/slow (by today's standards) to rather fast, with skyline in the middle.
- keeping service return short requires understanding the spin on the serve (it's hard to touch a side spin ball short), taking the ball very early, and keeping the shot very small (it's called touch for a reason)
- I find tacky Chinese rubbers like skyline or hurricane are superb for short play and serving, I think perhaps the tackiness acts as s kind of brake. Of the three rubbers you mention, I'd take the skyline every time, if this was the area I wanted to work on

Hope some of that is of use.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2017, 18:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've seen it posted often that H3 is QUITE slow, at least in its unboosted state, though it has the potential for very hard shots if you really apply the energy to it. Not sure how Skyline rates in comparison, but it's part of the same family of rubbers, so it's not exactly fast, is it? Supposedly the top Chinese players use it for precisely this reason - it's got very good control for the short game, yet, when you apply full power Chinese-style power-from-the-ground full-arm-length loops (as opposed to bent-elbow European loops) it's faster than even Tensors.

Iskandar