OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 21:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I've been asked to sort out a new bat for a club member. He's a 75 year old pusher with a few flat smashes here and there but naturally just pushes. Pretty decent at it, about RC 800 and plays in our top level.

Previously has used Rasant Grip on both a Stiga Offensive Classic WRB and a Xiom Aria Lite and quite liked them thought the Xiom may have been a little lively. Both blades are now broken.

Looking at getting him either Stiga Allround Classic or Xiom Allround S but not sure what to pair with as I'm not going with Rasant Grip this time. Do you think that any common tensor will do the job or are there ones more suited to pushing. What about sponge thickness, max or maybe slightly thinner?

He borrowed a bat last night that was Chinese blade and rubber and HATED it which I suspect was a matter of feel of harder sponge and a stiff blade.

So I suspect its just a matter of getting a slow blade with medium/soft tensor rubbers in he'll be fine. What do you think?

Pips are not an option.

Edit: Just spoke with him on the phone and he says spin is more important than speed. When he hits a smash he knows its going to be fast enough no matter what he uses but when playing well with his push game he wants the spin to do fantastic things.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2017, 22:12 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
How about the VS>401?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 04:14 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
my go-to blade for beginners is the Stiga Allround Classic.
Rakza 7 soft 1.8 for rubber, although there are numerous options.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 07:14 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Lordcope I'd thought of the Vs401 but wonder if a bit risky being tacky.

Pre you've said 'soft' and 1.8mm we these choices sure to ability or style?

I'm throwing Barracuda/big slam into the ring as it's advertised as vicious spin. Also one of the new poly ball rubbers like Joola Maxxx-P.

I think post of the battle might be in the head in that if I can show him on a packet that it's spinny, I've probably done my bit. In reality we know there is probably little difference in them all.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 07:23 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
Cobalt wrote:

hey Cobalt - if this is to me - can you translate? :D
My best guess is: "PRW - you've said soft and 1.8mm: are these choices due to ability or style?"

If I am right - both! Actually 2mm rubber would be good as well, but I find the Rakza is a great controllable rubber, which gives a lot of spin without taking as much. The soft version to allow the ball to dig in.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 08:25 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

PRW wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

hey Cobalt - if this is to me - can you translate? :D
My best guess is: "PRW - you've said soft and 1.8mm: are these choices due to ability or style?"

If I am right - both! Actually 2mm rubber would be good as well, but I find the Rakza is a great controllable rubber, which gives a lot of spin without taking as much. The soft version to allow the ball to dig in.

lol, wrote it quickly before coming to work. I read your translation and thought 'Thats what I wrote', then I read what I actually did write......... :?: The 'swype' obviously didn't behave.

I like the look of the Razka 7 Soft but would prefer in 2mm and its not available at the ooakshop right now.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 09:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Baracuda 1.8mm (or 2.0mm) should work, plenty of spin, decent for hitting. Victas 401 might be a little hard (sponge) so does not give so much of the Tensor feel when hitting, although it's very spinny for pushing. Victas VS 402 Limber or V 01 Limber also good options (1.8mm), spinny and soft. Softer Tensors tend to be really nice for hitting.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2017, 09:45 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Thanks for the input from everyone.

I'm sure all those options would be really good however as its for someone else I sort of went for a fairly safe option with a Yasaka Sweden Classic with Donic Baracuda in 2.0mm. I'm sure he'll like it, if not its only 12 months until we'll do it all again.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 14:48 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

The club member in opening post seems to have lost a bit of mojo. His comment last night was that he's getting back off the table to defend a bit as his pushes appear less effective. This is usually his weapon, consistent spinny pushes (for our level).

After buying in November and player 1.5 times a week on average, could the Baracuda gone off a bit or has he simply got his lip down after a couple of losses?

I've read that rule of thumb is if playing once a year, then change rubbers once a year, play twice a year, change twice a year. Given the amount he plays it might suggest he should change every 8 months which is where we are at about now. I personally don't subscribe to that at our level and think we can get a bit more out of them than that but could be a factor perhaps.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 14:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Does he look after the rubber, like regular cleaning using an adhesive protection sheets? That can make a big different to the surface grip, which is the major factor in spinny pushes.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 15:53 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Is he saying that the rubber has lost some spin? What does its condition look like?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 18:12 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Not sure the answers to those. Should a grippy Euro rubber use sticky protector sheets? I just clean with water then put a non adhesive sheet just for a bit of protection. Seems ok to me.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 00:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Take his bat and spin a ball straight up in the air and then angle the bat to catch the ball so the direction of spin is into the rubber (if that makes sense).

A new baracuda should reverse the spin a bit and rebound about half as high as the initial spin and drop. If it only rebounds a couple inches, or drops off the rubber, then the rubber has lost its mojo, not him.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 13:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cobalt wrote:
I've read that rule of thumb is if playing once a year, then change rubbers once a year, play twice a year, change twice a year. Given the amount he plays it might suggest he should change every 8 months which is where we are at about now. I personally don't subscribe to that at our level and think we can get a bit more out of them than that but could be a factor perhaps.

"week"?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018, 22:54 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
iskandar taib wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

"week"?

Yes, playing once a week and changing rubbers every week is also valid. ;)