OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 19:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 16:32 
Super User

Wow. This is hilarious. I thought the thread was a review of Yasaka Shining Dragon!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 16:56 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
Skip the stuff that is out-of-context pls :-) I know we need to keep on topic I guess I will refrain from posting off-topic here and instead post my questions on the General Equipment forum.

:up:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 16:59 

Blade: XIOM ZETA TETRA QUAD
FH: 729 08 PRETUNED
BH: YASAKA SHINING DRAGON
I will try the 729 faster 1 which is like YSD sticky top sheet on transcend sponge, Donier Balsa Carbon blade with balsa core of 4mm so little slow and let u know how it works over all,if its not going to work i am done with these blades.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 17:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
anand0077 wrote:
Hi Haggisv had a question unsure whether any answers present.
Why do they use a single ply thick of balsa core which is more soft and rigid compared to multiple thin plies which can also be used,if multiple plies used it adds some degree of flex to the blade as the rigidity is broken.

I'm not sure why. I'm also not so sure if multiple plies will give it more flex.. I suspect the opposite is true, which is how it works for non-balsa blades. Multiple plies also add glue layers (to glue the plies together), which will likely add rigidity.

anand0077 wrote:
also with regard to hardness i like the data from revspin as most of the people who write are not pro and we get a average review of the rubbers which acts like a double blind controlled study and easy for amateur players to follow it,This is my opinion

Yes, that's why I like that site for reviews as well, because from the reviews you can usually get some idea of the level and style of the player. However asking a player to give a rating for the rubber hardness, when for example they've only ever used a k-mart special bat, is not likely to be meaningful. Regulars to the forums usually have a decent understanding, but I think the majority of players at a club do not.
Say for example you start playing tennis and have just bought a new racket, and you're asked to give a rating out of 10 on how tightly the strong and strung, or rate how rigid the frame is. You'll know if the racket is fast or not, but I doubt most people can give a meaningful rating on the other aspects. Anyway it's up to you. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 22:39 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
anand0077 wrote:
Hi Haggisv had a question unsure whether any answers present.

Why do they use a single ply thick of balsa core which is more soft and rigid compared to multiple thin plies which can also be used,if multiple plies used it adds some degree of flex to the blade as the rigidity is broken.

also with regard to hardness i like the data from revspin as most of the people who write are not pro and we get a average review of the rubbers which acts like a double blind controlled study and easy for amateur players to follow it,This is my opinion

I have played with h3neo on the fh and skyline 3 neo on bh on donier balsa plus,h3neo is close to 7.5 to 8 and skyline 3 neo around 7.5 after playing with this set up i had to put lot of effort into the shots and thats when i got the table tennis elbow.

Also i am going to use ipong and try this blade with 729 faster today and will report the results.

There is nothing 'blind' or 'controlled' here, so I'm not sure I follow your logic.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2018, 02:10 

double blindness happens when amateurs buy rubbers without guidance and having no information about hardness of blade or rubber,
when they use soft rubber on hard blade and hard rubber on soft blade vice versa.
For Ex i have yeo p7 i read the best info about table tennis blades and rubbers on this website
https://thoughtsontabletennis.wordpress.com/

even with this info the rubbers made by manufactures have no uniform degree of hardness for ex
t05 is 36 degree
h3neo is 37 to 38 degree
rakza 7 is 45 to 50 euro/38 degree (in standardization with butterfly)
729 08 pretuned is 49 degrees /41 degrees
729 battle 2 is 45/47/49 degrees 39/40/41 degree hard
729 battle 1 is 42/40 degrees 36/34 hardness approximate

For an amateur this info is too much unless he makes an effort to understand the science behind it,but when they use it without that knowledge and post the results which they were not expecting its great info to know how the blade and rubber respond.I have gone through this journey and thats my experience which i was relating to.I wish i had read it before buying would have saved some money.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2018, 11:07 

Tried playing boosted shining dragon with 3 layers of xtreme revolution booster
speed increase by 10% spin by 20% no loss of control very stable plays like chinese rubber not hybrid and with more force can direct the ball wherever u want.Its a very good rubber for a intermediate player but not for those going up the ladder with refined strokes.
Good for learning stroked and picking up backhand chops to loop
i am playing this on xiom zeta quad with 729 08 on fh

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 02:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Where do you buy this magical "miniwax"? :lol:

haggisv wrote:
anand0077 wrote:

I'm not sure why. I'm also not so sure if multiple plies will give it more flex.. I suspect the opposite is true, which is how it works for non-balsa blades. Multiple plies also add glue layers (to glue the plies together), which will likely add rigidity.

Consider that when you add more plies the grain on the additional plies is at 90 degrees to the core ply. This makes the blade stiffer across it's width (and less stiff along it's length). Also consider that all this gobbledygook about "flex" is poorly defined. I'd assert that no one really knows what this "flex" is, what direction the blade is supposed to be flexing and by how much, or whether it's the surface of the blade deforming like a drum's skin - no one actually says (or knows, or considers it..). Add to the fact that if you actually try to flex a blade you'll break it (at the handle's neck) before it flexes any appreciable amount. I'd also suggest a lot of nonsense has been posted on this subject in the past, most is highly subjective and based on feel, and no one outside of Butterfly has actually done any research into the actual physics, and they aren't telling.

Revspin seems to be what used to be tabletennisdb, and I wouldn't trust any of the ratings on there to any great degree for the reasons Haggis has gone over. I also find the reviews rather funny, too - THIS rubber is great for looping, but terrible for blocking, THAT rubber is great for blocking but useless for lobbing, and when I try both of them I can't tell the difference between them.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2018, 03:08 

iskandar taib wrote:
Where do you buy this magical "miniwax"? :lol:

haggisv wrote:
anand0077 wrote:

Consider that when you add more plies the grain on the additional plies is at 90 degrees to the core ply. This makes the blade stiffer across it's width (and less stiff along it's length). Also consider that all this gobbledygook about "flex" is pretty much undefined. I'd assert that no one really knows what this "flex" is, what direction the blade is supposed to be flexing, and how much, or whether it's the surface of the blade deforming like a drum's skin. Add to the fact that if you actually try to flex a blade you'll break it (at the handle's neck) before it flexes any appreciable amount. I'd also suggest a lot of nonsense has been posted on this subject in the past, most is highly subjective and based on feel, and no one outside of Butterfly has actually done any research into the actual physics, and they aren't telling.

Revspin seems to be what used to be tabletennisdb, and I wouldn't trust any of the ratings on there to any great degree for the reasons Haggis has gone over. I also find the reviews rather funny, too - THIS rubber is great for looping, but terrible for blocking, THAT rubber is great for blocking but useless for lobbing, and when I try both of them I can't tell the difference between them.

Iskandar

Flex is a function of the blade whether it will bend or not when anything is dropped on it either at the middle or at the edges ,most effective at the edges hardness amounts to when a bullet or any projectile shot through a blade can it prevent it. with some exceptions one is balsa blade which is way different than others as its quality differs from place to place and from each tree. Flex very impt if u play with hard rubbers as it adds a trampoline effect to the shot and the ball gets very spinny and fast this is why the chinese do it and they have mastered it over long time.Well if u play a player with ranking more than 2000 frequently u can definitely understand the difference in control and blocking. Also its not bogus science japanese know they cant counter the chinese forehand rubbers with their tensors so they are trying to take out oil from rubbers for tokyo 2020 they are making machines which will detect oil in the rubber.I have played a guy more than 2000 rank in usa very frequently he played with xiom on both sides and he couldnt counter my chinese style forehand at all due to the enormous sidespin it gave me especially 729 08 and he was shocked and he came to see my rubber . HE told me that there was significant sidespin movement before the ball hit the table and immediately on the rise. This effect comes from the trampoline effect, There was a guy named marcellus from germany/sweden i dont know excellent website to understand the science of blades and rubbers u need brains to understand what he wrote and it was amazing proven stuff with experiments.But he has not made his website accessible to all now for unknown reasons.
The miniwax is polyurethane miniwax oil its cancerous so use a mask while applying it and do it outdoors and its available in home depot or any of the DIY stores in usa.

Balsa blade is only used for centre ply bcoz its hard as a whole but outer surface is too soft and doesnot engage the sponge a lot, if u play chinese rubbers on a complete balsa blade u will understand it. I did and it was terrible as the ball wouldnot move to opposite side due to lack of engagement.(Donier balsa 0ff with skyline 3 neo)