OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 11:15 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Title says it all. My friend is looking to start TT, and he wants to play J-Pen, a la Ryu-Seung-Min (I told him it's very hard, but he insists). He needs to buy a paddle though, and we're looking $40 USD max. Maybe up to $45, but definitely below 50 dollars. I can't really find any paddles that seems to be decent though for that price, so I'm here and asking for help. I would GREATLY appreciate it if you guys could help, because I spent hours searching the internet. Please :( I really don't want him having to buy some Butterfly Addoy premade J-Pen cause they suck. No offense, but they really do. I don't care if it's a decent pre-made or an actual custom setup, as long as the price is below $45 USD, and it's a decent J-Pen setup. Thanks!

Rating: Recreational Player

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 17:43 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
Butterfly's Nakama P7 Penhold racket comes with 1.9 mm Wakaba rubber.
https://shop.butterflyonline.com/nakama ... cket-nakp7
It is a little better than Addoy but not much. Cost $39.99.
Butterfly's beginner rubber
Sriver>Flextra>Sapphira>Pan Asia>Wakaba>Addoy
Wakaba is pretty much Addoy. Even the Pan Asia is still less spinny than the rubber on premade Stiga's racket(S5).

If I were you, I would raise my budget a little bit and go with

Nittaku Septear R Jp.Pen
It's on sale on Tabletennis11 now ($44.14)
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/ ... tear-r-pen

As for the rubber,
Donic Coppa is also on discount($23.31)
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/donic-coppa

or, Yasaka Mark V is universally recommended on forums ($32.08)

Your friend can use this setup all the way from beginner to intermediate.

I believe this would be better, as your friend will probably outgrow any below $45 setup in a few months of practice.

However, Tabletennis11 does have $9.2 shipping fee to the US if your order is below $100.
So in total it would be almost double your budget, but you can use this setup for at least a year, and you will only need to change the rubber and not the blade.

If your friend changes his mind to Chinese pen, there would be tons more of cheaper quality options, but for J-Pen I'm afraid it will be a little hard to find.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2018, 08:54 
Super User

Bump :P
I will keep in mind what you said Mimobrok, thanks; I still want to see if other people have anything to say though

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 07:37 

I have never played penhold so I'm not a reliable source.
That said, you can get the Yinhe 98X (981-989) blade series for 20-30 bucks on aliexpress. There should be a fitting blade in there. That leaves you with 15-20 bucks for rubbers, where you can again get some decent chinese stuff, like a palio CJ8000, or even some newer stuff for the forehand.
I think that'd be a better solution than a premade.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 08:14 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
The Yinhe mini blade could be used as a Jpen at an inexpensive cost $2 USD

http://ttnpp.com/store/galaxy-yinhe/802 ... ket-7.html

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 19:12 
Super User

Iguana wrote:
That said, you can get the Yinhe 98X (981-989) blade series for 20-30 bucks on aliexpress. There should be a fitting blade in there. That leaves you with 15-20 bucks for rubbers, where you can again get some decent chinese stuff, like a palio CJ8000, or even some newer stuff for the forehand.

Aaah, I didn't see this. Thanks for informing me, this is really helpful. The only thing I'm concerned about though is making sure I don't get scammed or anything, and other issues that could potentially happen. Also, doesn't AliExpress take like a month to deliver something?

Which one would you recommend (981-989)?

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 04:04 

Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Iguana wrote:

Aaah, I didn't see this. Thanks for informing me, this is really helpful. The only thing I'm concerned about though is making sure I don't get scammed or anything, and other issues that could potentially happen. Also, doesn't AliExpress take like a month to deliver something?

As I said I have no idea about penhold blades so I cannot really recommend anything. From the ratings I could find the 895 seems to be the most control oriented, so that would probably be good for a beginner. Also, it's just 15$. But they're all Off blades.

Yes, standard shipping will take a month or even longer, because it is literally shipping. But every other option is too expensive. I have not yet bought at AliExpress but other people on this board seem to not have had a problem. You can probably ask around for trustworthy sellers.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 10:08 
Super User

Iguana wrote:
Danthespearton HQ wrote:
Iguana wrote:

As I said I have no idea about penhold blades so I cannot really recommend anything. From the ratings I could find the 895 seems to be the most control oriented, so that would probably be good for a beginner. Also, it's just 15$. But they're all Off blades.

Yes, standard shipping will take a month or even longer, because it is literally shipping. But every other option is too expensive. I have not yet bought at AliExpress but other people on this board seem to not have had a problem. You can probably ask around for trustworthy sellers.

Thanks a lot! I'll talk about this with my friend.

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 21:22 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Matsushita Pro
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Dawei 388D-1
My personal record for delivery from Aliexpress is 8 days from order to arrival in England. But that's not guaranteed. The Echeng stores are fine: GH Sports, DHS Pro etc. They all have similar delivery information. Never had a problem with Chinese Ping Pong or XVT either. I have much better results with Aliexpress than with Amazon.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 02:39 
Super User

darucla wrote:
My personal record for delivery from Aliexpress is 8 days from order to arrival in England. But that's not guaranteed. The Echeng stores are fine: GH Sports, DHS Pro etc. They all have similar delivery information. Never had a problem with Chinese Ping Pong or XVT either. I have much better results with Aliexpress than with Amazon.

That's really interesting, having less problems with AliExpress than Amazon :lol:
That said, I've found a solution to this problem. Many thanks, guys. I freakin' love this forum :rock: