OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 18:38 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
notfound123 wrote:
I posted about VKM vs JSH before... and imho VKM has a lot more control overall when it comes to defense. JSH is pretty hard and stiff and needs either a thicker LP or a softer LP. I was struggling playing with a dense thin P1R. On the other hand, VKM should work with just about anything. Surprisingly it's pretty powerful even from mid-distance but for me its high throw + high throw of Tenergy 05 gave me a ultra high-throw setup. I am sure I just needed a bit of patience but oh well -- I went right back to the JSH.

Yeah I still remember most of people's opinions. I mean like I said I don't actually need anything but I'm sure you all understand what it is or would be like to go to a big big tournament and see stalls setup with the beautiful bats and rubbers out for display and touch lol.

I will try to hold myself back but IF I ever did just decide to get something it would either be same blade with P1R or vkmo/jsh with same pips. I prefer the idea of faster blade simply because i have no issues with my pips.

I have never had the opportunity to try P1R or FL3 and I don't really have a strong desire to do so either tbh as I understand it's better to stick to 1 pips (for chopping)

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 01:00 
Super User

Well.....they have 2 stalls setup. Bribar and teesports. Bribar didn't bring their Victas blades to the stall. Teesports however DID bring the JSH ST handle. I tried it, blade weight was absolutely fine but wasn't keen on the handle. Had a sigh of relief and said to the guy it's good you only brought the st. He pulled out the other which was FL. Tried it...felt so nice :@ and I could feel my BP going up as I knew my wallet wasn't happy with my excitement lol.
Got it with FL2 1.1. Now my BP is even higher coz I can't play with it till next week Wednesday ;(

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 01:03 
Super User

Also Germany won the first 3 matches so Filus never got to play his singles match ;(
Oh boy in the doubles when he did chop he is a joy to watch. I shed a tear of happiness and CHO a few times when he won a few sick chops :Chop:

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 03:13 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Ndragon wrote:
Also Germany won the first 3 matches so Filus never got to play his singles match ;(
Oh boy in the doubles when he did chop he is a joy to watch. I shed a tear of happiness and CHO a few times when he won a few sick chops :Chop:

I think he has the most eye-pleasing style of all the choppers today. Just my opinion. He may not win the most, but it's the prettiest style. His stance is very low and wide, looks like he's doing karate sometimes. Before him, I would say Koji had the most eye-pleasing style.

FWIW, I think lesser known Aida is 3rd on the list for me, strictly in terms of aesthetics.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 03:20 

Also food for thought...

Filus cuts down his JSH per several sources, including a member here (Ridderz) who got coaching from him for a camp in Germany.

So, to tone down your temptation and thoughts of playing the same setup he does, unless you are willing to shave it down to the same size, you are not going to really be playing Filus' setup. ;)

Does that help with the EJ pangs? :rofl:

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 13:37 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
I recall seeing German players' equipment photos, either here or at mytt, and from what I remember Filus' JSH looked quite "normal" I.e. oversized.. I would believe that he prefers and chooses a certain weight, but I don't think he goes as far as sanding down his blade etc etc. Just seems very unlikely unless he's extremely obsessive over his equipment.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 18:15 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Ndragon wrote:

I think he has the most eye-pleasing style of all the choppers today. Just my opinion. He may not win the most, but it's the prettiest style. His stance is very low and wide, looks like he's doing karate sometimes. Before him, I would say Koji had the most eye-pleasing style.

FWIW, I think lesser known Aida is 3rd on the list for me, strictly in terms of aesthetics.

I would have to agree with you about Filus. I will always put Chen on my top 3 because I just love watching him play. But since he no longer plays much now I put Filus and Gionis as my faves. Ever since years ago actually. Gionis has such a laid back chill kind of style but really switches his FH on when he wants.
In person Filus chop actually looks so so nice though. Like such a ninja. The whole motion. It's art. For me....

I have also had the pleasure of watching right beside court and talking to Satoshi Aida. How he does that with 2xMark V HPS amazes me

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 18:16 
Super User

Regarding his JSH head size. I will have a closer look today when they put the rackets on the table. It didn't look too big though but I'll have a lookout to compare it with the regular blades

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2018, 23:14 

notfound123 wrote:
I recall seeing German players' equipment photos, either here or at mytt, and from what I remember Filus' JSH looked quite "normal" I.e. oversized.. I would believe that he prefers and chooses a certain weight, but I don't think he goes as far as sanding down his blade etc etc. Just seems very unlikely unless he's extremely obsessive over his equipment.

Well, all I can say is that ridderz spoke and played him, posted video of his game too. But he's not the only one to say that. Something that atleast supports the idea that he likes normal sized blades is that he used to play with a Timo Boll Spark.

I have no hard evidence that it is in fact shaved down, other than people who have met him saying it is. I'm facebook friends with Ruwen, maybe I'll ask.

At the time, Ridderz also played with a JSH blade, and got advice on switching to FL3 to P-1R from him as well...because of his playing style. here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31656

But the shaving down comment was in a PM when I was considering buying his blade:

"JSH, I've now used this for 2 years. I have tried other blades in this time but always gone back to the JSH. Yes it is heavy, I noticed this when I changed to it 2 years ago, but now I don't really notice it. One reason for exploring 0.5 curl is to keep the weight down a bit, and I also use 1.9 Tenergy instead of 2.1 to keep the weight down. You can also cut the head size down a bit, which is what Ruwen actually does!!"

So he said "a bit" maybe it's not shaved down too too much then.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 02:02 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
I have no hard evidence that it is in fact shaved down, other than people who have met him saying it is. I'm facebook friends with Ruwen, maybe I'll ask.

Maybe ask him if he prepares his JSH in any way (shaves it down, etc) or if it's just a vanilla JSH. To me it would be too much work for a pro to cut down several match/backup/training blades. It might be easier to switch to a Korbel which is essentially a smaller JSH

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 02:05 
Super User

Check this out.. his JSH looks normal to me
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?7663-Bats-of-the-German-League-Players-Gallery!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 06:50 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Japsican wrote:
Ah, the Joo Se Hyuk blade. I bought it twice, and sold it twice. I was tempted by the faster forehand...but it's a double edged sword. As is the weight. That blade almost always comes in over 100g. I asked for the lightest Megaspin had in stock, and the lightest they had, out of 20 blades, was 101g.

I didn't win more with it. But I won more offensive points with it. I tried everything on the backhand, and was like Goldie Locks with every damn rubber on the planet. Personally, I feel like that blade is too touchy with different rubber combos, and only really works well with certain rubber types...for me of course. But, there are many people on this site that will tell you it's the best blade ever.

The VKM on the other hand, works with almost any rubber, I never had trouble adjusting. The defplay can be hard to pair rubbers to it as well, but it was usually for the opposite reasons; I always wanted to add weight and faster rubbers. Because of it's dampening ability, it's a very forgiving blade on defense.

So, opinions are like you know what, but for me the JSH was the hardest blade to acclimate to, and caused me to change my game too much to win points. Distance from the table, and tactics are different.

I have a 95 gram JSH blade that I was pretty proud of! Problem is, even with 1.7 tenergy fx on one side and an OX LP on the other -- it still felt heavy! And I have other defensive blades that actually are heavier setups, yet they feel lighter. To me, the joo has a strange head-heavy kind of clunky feel to it. Even with very light rubbers I still guessed it weighed around 180 grams, just going by how it played in my hand. I think it's the balance of the blade on top of its usual heavy weight (a previous one of mine was 110g...) that makes it undesirable for many.

Of course you could get used to it, naturally. But for many swapping over to the mythical JSH blade, it's easy to see why they quickly discard it.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 18:22 
Super User

So Germany played China in the quarter finals. Ruwen played 1 game and was against ma long. He lost 0-3 so didn't get to see too much as ma long is just a beast and doesn't really allow him to get his chop and loop going too well. But it was short and sweet to see snippets of Ruwen play

Regarding the blade....don't take this too literal as I am not really close up but it didn't look too different to Ma Long's blade head size. I didn't notice a difference if there was one.

On a side note, I had a little knock and couple of games with the JSH I bought :) it's got FL2 1.1 / stiga mantra S on it. It is quite a bit heavier than the VKM, almost if not the same weight as my clipper with 2 inverted lol. I don't mind that weight however and I actually played so well with it. My FH was back to being as strong as before and my chops were just fine. It actually felt a little easier. But it could have been the atmosphere plus I was hyped up.

I may film a whole training session with it.

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 18:27 
Super User

I also had the pleasure of watching Kim Song I again but this time winning. Beautiful to watch. Her chops are so elegant

My Vlog / Blog

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2018, 18:45 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
At 152 X 165 the JSH is very long blade but not really wider than a standard blade so taking about 5mm off the length might help both weight and balance without altering the blades basic characteristics. Re balance adding some weight to the bottom of the handle may also help.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!