OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Blade Rubber Combo
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 21:49 
Super User

Hi,

I just came across OOAK, and this is my first post here..

I'm in the process of making a shift to Long Pips, due to injuries, that restrict my movement... My play-style, in nutshell, is as follows : -

- I play close to the table, but will occasionally move back a bit.
- I prefer over-the-table/close-to-table, pushing, chopping, with Heavy Spin
- My game is primarily push/chop on the BH, and slow-medium paced, spinny Loops/Topspins on the
FH.
- On the BH, I also Drive the ball, when the opportunity presents itself.
- I typically dead-block top-spins to my BH .. But, if I happen to be away, I'll also chop back (Rather inconsistent at that, though)
- I want control, and then some more..

Based on the above, I did some reading-up and asking-around (on various forums, reviews etc), and have purchased the following :

- Donic Deflplay Senso V3 Blade
- CCT National Pogo Long Pips
- XVT Balsa Hinoki Carbon Blade
- Dawei 338D-1 Long Pips
- Xiom Vega Europe Max

Yes, you might wonder, why I got 2 Blades and 2 Long Pips ...
..Well, first, it's because all the above came recommended, and I could not make-up my mind. Second, I got a super deal, of less than 75USD, for all the above.

Please suggest which rubber & blade combo to pair,-up, and also on an inverted rubber, preferable a cheaper Chinese rubber .. Something offering the possibility of hitting controlled loops and topspins, and effective blocking.

Suggestions would be much appreciated...

Post subject: Re: Blade Rubber Combo
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 18:48 
Super User

Hi,

This topic has had 35 views and 0 responses ...

Have I asked an incorrect question, or done something wrong unknowingly (violated forum rules, code of ethics etc. ) ? I'm sorry I have, as I am new over here..

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 19:22 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Could be so far none of us have played with the said combination of blades and rubbers mentioned thus couldn't answer your questions. Just have to be patient a bit.

Alternatively, just put them on and try them yourself. It's not permanent pairing, you could change between them until you find most suited for you.

To get you started my choice would be:
- Defplay with Vega and 388D-1

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 19:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Defplay, Vega /388d-1 would be my choice out of those also

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 19:53 
Super User

Oh... I thought, It'd be Defplay+Pogo+Vega ... Anyway, 388D-1 it is ...

Any recommendations for an FH inverted for the second setup ?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 22:28 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Why don’t you start with one. If you like it you can use the same on the other blade. That way if you want to experiment with LP, you just change LP rubber while not changing other variables. Changing 2-3 variables at once is confusing.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 01:15 
Super User

Gotit... I was just hoping someone on this forum has a setup that made-up of the blade and rubbers I have...

Say, has anyone tried any XVT blade ? (or is this a topic for a new thread ?)

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 01:49 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

ootbs wrote:
Gotit... I was just hoping someone on this forum has a setup that made-up of the blade and rubbers I have...

I kind of stay away from XVT because it's one of the company that blatantly copy others...

I tried meeting with them when I went to China but got the round about and some other not cool things, but that's another story for another day...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 03:16 
Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
ootbs wrote:

I kind of stay away from XVT because it's one of the company that blatantly copy others...

I tried meeting with them when I went to China but got the round about and some other not cool things, but that's another story for another day...

I don't have a problem with a company that blatantly copies others ...

I want to know how they play, their quality, and durability ... To be honest, although, I've ordered my XVT balsa, I'm yet to get in my hand.

Also, how do they compare to the blades of companies they blatantly copy ?

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 14:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I've no experience in LP's but I'd also recommend the defplay, xiom and either of the LP's. In fact I'd suggest using one for a while and then maybe after a month swapping it over and letting us know the results. I'd avoid at this stage in complicating things too much by introducing another blade as if the LP's really are different you might not know if its purely the LP or if the blade as had a big influence.

In regards to copying, I don't mind it either, unless they are breaching patents in on the whole Chinese companies tend to do whatever they want. Counterfeit is different though, not good. You'll find that most reputable brand have similar product lines so they all must be copying each other at some point. having said that, its not an expensive sport so for example rather than buy a HRT Clipper, why not just buy the real Stiga Clipper which you know what you are getting and the quality control will mean you get what you paid for. In the Chinese copies there can be large variances in each batch, or may not even be much like the original to start with.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 15:31 
Super User

Cobalt wrote:
I've no experience in LP's but I'd also recommend the defplay, xiom and either of the LP's. In fact I'd suggest using one for a while and then maybe after a month swapping it over and letting us know the results. I'd avoid at this stage in complicating things too much by introducing another blade as if the LP's really are different you might not know if its purely the LP or if the blade as had a big influence.

I get your point ... I think, I'm coming down with a case of mild EJ

Cobalt wrote:
In regards to copying, I don't mind it either, unless they are breaching patents in on the whole Chinese companies tend to do whatever they want. Counterfeit is different though, not good. You'll find that most reputable brand have similar product lines so they all must be copying each other at some point. having said that, its not an expensive sport so for example rather than buy a HRT Clipper, why not just buy the real Stiga Clipper which you know what you are getting and the quality control will mean you get what you paid for. In the Chinese copies there can be large variances in each batch, or may not even be much like the original to start with.

Yep... Copying/Cloning is fine ... Counterfeiting/Faking is not ...

If a blade like Timo BOLL ALC costs $150, and if I'm getting a somewhat similar'ish Chinese clone for under 50 bucks, why not ... and cheaper, does not necessarily mean bad

Bigger, more renowned companies like Butterfly don't charge us exorbitant rates, just for the build quality and materials, a lot of other costs get transfered to the end-customer, such as : -

- Companies like Butterfly, Andro, etc, invest a lot in research and Development. That cost gets transfered to the end-buyer

- Marketing, Advertising, Syndication, Sponsorships etc... I don't know what the going rate for purchasing top players (Like Jike, Boll etc) is, these days, but I'm sure they don't come cheap. Once again, this cost gets transferred to the end-buyer.

- Better Quality Control (??) - I am assuming that the above companies have somewhat better quality control. The cost of which, once again, gets transfered to the end-buyer

Now, a lot of these Chinese companies simply produce equipment, based on equipment already researched & developed by the likes of Butterfly. Thus eliminating the cost involved in the first point above. Same for point number 2... As for the quality control - I'm sure there is, to some measure, but probably not like the bigger companies.. All in all, reducing/eliminating costs based on the above factors, plus, perhaps using/sourcing slightly cheaper materials (may not always be the case), probably reduces the cost transfered to the end-buyer.

The question people should probably asking, while comparing a clone to the real-Mccoy is, not how its built, and/or how it plays, but how long it continues to play (durability).

...just my 2 cents..

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 17:46 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

There’s copying... and there’s copying...
When one includes copying same design and/or name for me that’s quite too far. Unfortunately, many fall on this point, but many moved on and do their own things later on. XVT in so many words during our conversation stated that they were to insist on doing so. Besides, aside from that point aside, the shady kind of activity made me wary of them.

I was in north China and contacted them for a meet. They told me their factory is in xx city. I told them I was fairly nearby (an hour or so by train) and could go there. Then they told me the factory is too remote and not convenient for a meet. Then they told me they can meet at their office in Beijing. I said, okay, about two hours or so by bullet train, doable to me. Then they told me their office is in between moving so not convenient to meet there. They wanted to meet somewhere by subway station somewhere. I finally cancelled. Not exactly convincing to me, the running around and all the excuses.

Around the same time I went my round and visited 4 other chinese manufacturers, all of them welcomed me to visit their offices and factories and I did.

I finally got some info later on with one of the four companies that the person at XVT was at a time an employee of theirs. The Boss told me that he knows which person that was.

Anyway, for many of you, yeah, whatever works the cheaper the better.
But, for me, at least I do my part to support better companies.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 18:03 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

In regard to durability and playability...
Unfortunately I have to say even the cheap no brand names would be playable and somewhat durable. For many of us, we moved on to other blades fast enough long before the blade could deteriorate.

Playability and feel... it’s like riding cheap cars with cheap shock breakers. It gets you anywhere and get the job done, but not exactly enjoyable ride. We then pacify ourself with, oh well, it’s very cheap and gets the job done.

Anyway, like pointed above previously, there’s plenty cheap(er) equipments from more reputable companies that’s tried and true. Many reviews and many other people already played with them to gain feedback and knowledge. No need to save even a little more so with questionable stuff.

My few 2 cents...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 18:32 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
Compared to many sports and hobbies table tennis is relatively inexpensive if you can avoid being a massive EJ and travelling the globe to play tournaments. A person of even modest means can afford a couple of decent quality setups. No need to cheap out. The Defplay, 388d-1 & Vega Europe sounds like a reasonable combo to me.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 19:11 
Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
There’s copying... and there’s copying...
When one includes copying same design and/or name for me that’s quite too far. Unfortunately, many fall on this point, but many moved on and do their own things later on. XVT in so many words during our conversation stated that they were to insist on doing so. Besides, aside from that point aside, the shady kind of activity made me wary of them.

I was in north China and contacted them for a meet. They told me their factory is in xx city. I told them I was fairly nearby (an hour or so by train) and could go there. Then they told me the factory is too remote and not convenient for a meet. Then they told me they can meet at their office in Beijing. I said, okay, about two hours or so by bullet train, doable to me. Then they told me their office is in between moving so not convenient to meet there. They wanted to meet somewhere by subway station somewhere. I finally cancelled. Not exactly convincing to me, the running around and all the excuses.

Around the same time I went my round and visited 4 other chinese manufacturers, all of them welcomed me to visit their offices and factories and I did.

I finally got some info later on with one of the four companies that the person at XVT was at a time an employee of theirs. The Boss told me that he knows which person that was.

Anyway, for many of you, yeah, whatever works the cheaper the better.
But, for me, at least I do my part to support better companies.

Strange indeed! Why would they want to meet near a subway station ... I'd probably get weirded-out too...

I now have 2 setups (Both from the so called "Better Companies") - My current one - Butterfly Joyner H (The original made in Japan one, with the metal tag), and the new Donic Defplay Senso V3. However, I do believe in giving the smaller lesser known brands a chance, as long as they're not producing/selling fakes.