OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Blade Rubber Combo
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 19:21 
Super User

Dusty054 wrote:
Compared to many sports and hobbies table tennis is relatively inexpensive if you can avoid being a massive EJ and travelling the globe to play tournaments. A person of even modest means can afford a couple of decent quality setups. No need to cheap out. The Defplay, 388d-1 & Vega Europe sounds like a reasonable combo to me.

Compared to some other racquet sports TT may seem cheaper - Still, spending $150 on a blade may not be every player's cup of tea. I'm from India, and for 150 USD translates to around 10000 Indian Rupees. Add to that, another $50-60 for decent rubbers, and the cost shoots-up to more than 15000 Indian Rupees. A good number of Indian, don't earn half as much, in a month. So, If one can get, a clone of the Real Deal, even it shares 80% similarities, as a fraction of the cost, then I don't see, why not. Another thing - For some, the impact, on the wallet, of spending $50-70, say every 3 years, is a lot less than spending $150-$200, in one go.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 19:39 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
No need to spend $150 on a blade if you don't want to. Your Defplay is an excellent example of a popular, inexpensive, decent quality original blade.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2018, 19:45 
Super User

Dusty054 wrote:
No need to spend $150 on a blade if you don't want to. Your Defplay is an excellent example of a popular, inexpensive, decent quality original blade.

I was just stating $150, as a example... I will start-off with the Defplay. I ordered the XVT, just out of sheer curiosity, and on a whim, to see what a $20 blade has to offer... (Are these the symptoms of the dreaded EJ virus ?)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2018, 07:39 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Maybe, but it's a also a sign you are enjoying your sort and having fun. Go for it!!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 07:32 
Super User

Any suggestions on how to glue on an OX rubber? A layer on the rubber, then dry? A layer on the blade, then dry?

Whats a good glue or type of glue to use?

Shall I seal/lacquer my Defplay Senso? If yes, which one?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 08:12 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
There a trick on here somewhere about it. Buy a glue sheet and lightly stick it on the pimples. With the glue sheet on, it takes the floppyness out of it and you can treat it like an inverted sheet. You'd think it would stick hard or make it stick but it doesn't. You can then stick the ox to the blade as you would an inverted sheet using glue on both blade and ox sheet. Once its stuck, just peel back off the glue sheet ensuring you also don't lift the ox sheet off the blade.

Any table tennis glue should be ok.

I seal all my blades but have always had it done by the place of purchase. Plenty of info on here so have a bit of a search and you'll find what you need.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 08:21 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ootbs wrote:
Any suggestions on how to glue on an OX rubber? A layer on the rubber, then dry? A layer on the blade, then dry?

Whats a good glue or type of glue to use?

Shall I seal/lacquer my Defplay Senso? If yes, which one?

Cobalt's trick quoted above would work, but so would actually using glue sheet directly as it was intended, that is to attach OX rubber to the blade. As a word of caution, using rubber cement on OX sheets is super tricky, since it reacts with thin rubber so much. Water based glues (WBG) are apparently easier compared to rubber cement - again, pretty much any would do here. Main reason I only use glue sheets today for OX - saves on the effort.

I did not bother to seal my last few blades, including few Defplays, and they were fine, even after removing glue sheets, so I would not worry too much about it.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 14:28 
Super User

Thanks Cobalt, pgpg,

I've never even seen a gluesheet, so I don't know.... They aren't available here.

What's available is Donic (Glue & Lacquer), Tibhar (Glue), Andro (Glue & Sealer), Stiga (Glue & Lacquer) ... Which of the above ?

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 21:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Any arts and craft stores where you are?look for glues that stay tacky when dry these are great for ox pips,you can reposition if you get bubbles

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 17:16 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
Any arts and craft stores where you are?look for glues that stay tacky when dry these are great for ox pips,you can reposition if you get bubbles
I'd prefer to use a glue by one of the companies that produce TT equipment

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 18:59 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
ootbs wrote:
Thanks Cobalt, pgpg,

I've never even seen a gluesheet, so I don't know.... They aren't available here.

What's available is Donic (Glue & Lacquer), Tibhar (Glue), Andro (Glue & Sealer), Stiga (Glue & Lacquer) ... Which of the above ?

I like Donic Vario Clean, though I usually use glue sheets for OX pimples unless it's a reasonably thick base sheet. If I try to glue the tissue thin ones the neighbours usually complain about my swearing. ;)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 20:15 
Super User

Dusty054 wrote:

I like Donic Vario Clean, though I usually use glue sheets for OX pimples unless it's a reasonably thick base sheet. If I try to glue the tissue thin ones the neighbours usually complain about my swearing. ;)

Yep, I was leaning towards Donic Vario Clean..

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 22:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
ootbs wrote:
dazzler wrote:
I'd prefer to use a glue by one of the companies that produce TT equipment

None of the tt equipment companies make glue with lp in mind hence the need for glue sheets,not sure what these water based glues are like with lp''s ,the Leeho 2 in 1 glue marker I am using is amazing for ox and dirt cheap,the glue remains on the blade so you can quickly swap between ox rubbers when testing

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 02:03 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
None of the tt equipment companies make glue with lp in mind hence the need for glue sheets,not sure what these water based glues are like with lp''s ,the Leeho 2 in 1 glue marker I am using is amazing for ox and dirt cheap,the glue remains on the blade so you can quickly swap between ox rubbers when testing

The issue is that Glue-Sheets are not available here, and the availability of even regular Glues is limited in options..

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 02:16 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ootbs wrote:
dazzler wrote:

The issue is that Glue-Sheets are not available here, and the availability of even regular Glues is limited in options..

Glue sheet is pretty much a square of double-sided Scotch tape. Nothing else. Might be worth looking for it in whatever stores that might carry such product in your area.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next