OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 06:50 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
If you like tacky, the skyline or hurricane rubbers are good and only around $30 usd. Chinese defenders generally use those, while the euro choppers or korean use tenergy. I hate having a rubber coated in dirt/dust after so little play time!

Tenergy has good durability/longevity and is nice, even for the price imo.

Bluefire is kind of a big ol' chunk of rubber, same with the JP series. Shiono chopped with one of the bluefires or JPs, I forget which one. Any of them will do fine. I like tenergy fx for the high spin, light weight, and consistency. It just has a different feel compared to the others, and so far, it's the one I play the best with since I've adjusted to how it functions and whatnot. I'm curious to try the mx-s rubber, for no real reason other than to experiment as I'm perfectly happy with the tenergy.

Why not try MX-S? By the sounds of it, you'll probably stick with your Tenergy but still, you don't know till you try :).

I'm not sure what I will like yet (tacky Chinese style rubber or Tenergy). I'm assuming I will prefer Tenergy, but that's not based on actual experience. We will see.

I think Shiono uses Donic BlueFire Jp01. This is basically an 'upgrade' of Bluefire M1, no?

As it has been a long time since I used inverted, I've forgotten how long they maintain decent performance. I've ordered a sheet of Victas VS > 401 1.8mm as it's meant to be very durable and it supposedly is around the same speed as my 802. I'll stick with this for a few months till I get used to inverted again and then I'll decide whether to test one of the Bluefire/Tibhar rubbers or just go straight for a version of Tenergy. The problem with Tenergy copies according to online reviews though is that they aren't as durable. This could potentially cancel out the difference in cost (which is what you've implied as well), so I might just go straight for Tenergy...

Longevity will surely be a key factor as inverted doesn't last as long as pips out. I'm used to be being able to get many miles out of pips.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 08:49 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Snowman89 wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:
If you like tacky, the skyline or hurricane rubbers are good and only around $30 usd. Chinese defenders generally use those, while the euro choppers or korean use tenergy. I hate having a rubber coated in dirt/dust after so little play time!

Tenergy has good durability/longevity and is nice, even for the price imo.

Bluefire is kind of a big ol' chunk of rubber, same with the JP series. Shiono chopped with one of the bluefires or JPs, I forget which one. Any of them will do fine. I like tenergy fx for the high spin, light weight, and consistency. It just has a different feel compared to the others, and so far, it's the one I play the best with since I've adjusted to how it functions and whatnot. I'm curious to try the mx-s rubber, for no real reason other than to experiment as I'm perfectly happy with the tenergy.

Why not try MX-S? By the sounds of it, you'll probably stick with your Tenergy but still, you don't know till you try :).

I'm not sure what I will like yet (tacky Chinese style rubber or Tenergy). I'm assuming I will prefer Tenergy, but that's not based on actual experience. We will see.

I think Shiono uses Donic BlueFire Jp01. This is basically an 'upgrade' of Bluefire M1, no?

As it has been a long time since I used inverted, I've forgotten how long they maintain decent performance. I've ordered a sheet of Victas VS > 401 1.8mm as it's meant to be very durable and it supposedly is around the same speed as my 802. I'll stick with this for a few months till I get used to inverted again and then I'll decide whether to test one of the Bluefire/Tibhar rubbers or just go straight for a version of Tenergy. The problem with Tenergy copies according to online reviews though is that they aren't as durable. This could potentially cancel out the difference in cost (which is what you've implied as well), so I might just go straight for Tenergy...

Longevity will surely be a key factor as inverted doesn't last as long as pips out. I'm used to be being able to get many miles out of pips.
Shiono afaik use BlueFire JP3,

Which so far the best all rounder rubber for current ball.

Sadly, He use it on DefPlay, which a great block and chop blade, which of course poor on loop. It is His wish to cut more though.

I feel that His Forehand more lethal when He still use Tenergy on VKM back then

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 20:59 
Super User

BeGo wrote:
Shiono afaik use BlueFire JP3,

Which so far the best all rounder rubber for current ball.

Sadly, He use it on DefPlay, which a great block and chop blade, which of course poor on loop. It is His wish to cut more though.

I feel that His Forehand more lethal when He still use Tenergy on VKM back then

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

JP3 is meant to be slower than JP1 isn't it. I remember reading an interview with him where he said he is still trying to improve his defense before really working on his offense (something along those lines any way). I assume that's why he doesn't have the fastest setup, but yea, mixing up defense with offense is vital for defenders. It's too easy for high level attackers to get into a rhythm against even the most solid defense, and I feel the defenders way of breaking that rhythm is to throw in some attacks and generally just giving them something else to think about.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 00:27 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Though on the amateur level I think classic defense still works out fine, it's just boring to me! Some games I will purposefully do nothing but pushes and chops and limit myself to only those for practice. It messes up a lot of people as they get too impatient and attack the wrong balls. I can't play that way normally, as I've got too much blood lost to attack :p

But doing spin variations with the pushes and all that is definitely doable. I've known a number of over 2000 usa rated players who rarely attack at all. I kind of wish I could enjoy that style, as it does frustrate many players. Yet when i face someone who indulges my push wars... so boring!

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 04:47 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
For those who aren't familar with Snowman89 MNNB started a thread on him here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22285&hilit=preston

It includes video footage of when he played OX Yasaka Cobalt on both sides.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 07:55 
Super User

skilless_slapper wrote:
Though on the amateur level I think classic defense still works out fine, it's just boring to me! Some games I will purposefully do nothing but pushes and chops and limit myself to only those for practice. It messes up a lot of people as they get too impatient and attack the wrong balls. I can't play that way normally, as I've got too much blood lost to attack :p

But doing spin variations with the pushes and all that is definitely doable. I've known a number of over 2000 usa rated players who rarely attack at all. I kind of wish I could enjoy that style, as it does frustrate many players. Yet when i face someone who indulges my push wars... so boring!

True. Even at a pro level, classic defense can still work. It definitely requires a patient mind, but if you can do it well, you will win many matches by making your opponent beat themselves (making them lose control of their emotions). To be fair, modern defenders win that way too sometimes :).

However, I believe that, in order to maximize their potential, defenders must have a lot of variety and never give the same ball twice in row (placement, spin, etc.). That could come in the form of mixing up hits and chops, but it's also about varying the spin, forcing the opponent to constantly think. If you can get your opponent out of autopilot, they will make more mistakes I think. This is one of the concerns I have with modern defenders using long pips on their backhand, as even the mighty Joo Sae-Hyuk (he uses Curl P1R) himself admits that he doesn't vary the backspin on his backhand chop. Long pips like Curl P4 and Feint Long 3 allow for some variation, but those aren't being used as much as Curl P1R. I'm curious as to why that is. Curl P1R is for that reason on my list of rubbers to try in the future.

Debater wrote:
For those who aren't familar with Snowman89 MNNB started a thread on him here

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=22285&hilit=preston

It includes video footage of when he played OX Yasaka Cobalt on both sides.

I miss the Preston league. It was good fun :).

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Last edited by Snowman89 on 16 Apr 2018, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 08:01 
Super User

I tried an old sheet of Tackiness Drive today briefly and I was able to pretty much generate as much backspin on my chops as with my 802 short pips and hit just as fast (hitting was also easier). That erases my fear for now that my chopping might suffer with inverted. Will wait and see how long of a transition it will be when I try Victas VS>401, and then likely Tenergy or a copy of it.

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!