OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 22:27 

Blade: Killerspin Jet200
FH: Some Rubber
BH: Some Rubber
Dusty054 wrote:
I've had a couple of bats lacquered and assembled by TT11 for myself and others. They do a decent job. They use normal water based glue so no problem getting the rubbers off when the time comes.

Do they provide their own edgetape or do I need to purchase one with the order for them to put it on?

Thanks
Ayon

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 22:28 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
ion84 wrote:
Hi Guys
I am starting to play TT again and recently purchased a cheap pre-made racquet (Killerspin Jet200) however I am not very happy with it and wanted some suggestion on what to invest in. I don't want a pre-made racquet because I want to be able upgrade the rubber as I progress with my skill and retain the blade for a longer time. So far I have only been able to decide on the blade: Stiga Allround Classic.
I need suggestions for rubber. Here is some more information about me to help you guys understand better.

What is your skill level?
No USATT rating. I consider myself to be a beginner even though I have being playing TT for almost 5 years but on and off and with big gaps in between. I was never formally trained.

What style do you play?
My primary game is BH placement with some top spin. I seem to be a bit weak on the FH. My style of game is to set up the opponent with some good BH stroke and finishing off with FH. However lately I've been trying to improve my FH game. However my biggest weakness is footwork. I tend to stand relatively close to the board as I find it difficult to control the shot from far.

What are your goals for this new equipment?
I feel that with the cheap paddles that I play with (Jet200), I never get any spin. Also I don't seem to get a good feel while hitting the ball and be confident that it will land in the spot I want. Its all very vague.
I want more spin and control. I want to feel the ball when hitting with the racket.

What are you currently using, and what don’t you like about it?
Mentioned above.

Thanks for your help!
Ayon

Stiga ALL Classic. The regular one. Fit that with 2.0 Mark V on both sides and sorted. It's a great starter which can lead you to advance and will also allow you to be a little more confident in deciding what you want next. This setup is a jack of all trades master of none.
I would personally recommend to get it all from a shop and have it assembled

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 22:49 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Ion, certain water based glues are very adhesive and makes it hard to remove rubber.

If you glue the blade, you will not ruin it. It's easy. I was worried too at first. Also there are tutorials on Youtube and various table tennis stores/sites.

My recommendation: Use water based glue (WBG) on the sponge of the rubber, and rubber cement on the blade. Let both dry completely then assemble rubber to blade. RC is technically illegal in TT as it is a VOC glue, but honestly it doesn't affect anything and unless you are pro-level nobody is going to test your racket for VOCs. (There used to be a thing called speed glue and that's why VOCs are banned). Many people use RC and really it's a non-issue.

If you decide to use WBG on both wood and sponge, do not use the Xiom WBG. It's almost impossible to remove the rubber without damage. Use Butterfly Freechalk or Tear Mender (google those) as they both remove fine without damage. Tear mender is less expensive and just as good as any TT glue, but it isn't specifically meant for TT.

Also, buy sealant for your blade.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 23:19 

You can get some spin with killerspin paddles but not worth it, you can get a much better paddle for same price. At least for me, the paddles I find in sports stores which are stiga and killerspin, you'd have to spend like 100 dollars to get a paddle that is decent. And you can get a better paddle for 20 dollars online with a 729 paddle for example. But the stiga and killerspin paddles are usually liked more by people who play recreationally or who play tennis strokes, they are less affected by spin but you won't be able to serve spinny or hit really fast spinny balls with them.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2018, 00:39 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
I have ordered from tabletennis11
Their assembly service is great.
They use water-based glue, and they put edge tape on for you.
It was very easy to peel when I changed my rubber.

Cutting rubber yourself, especially the first time, is an exhaustive process. Just let the shop do the job. I love how clean the shop cut the rubber.

I think you have a solid setup but for that I personally cannot play with anything less thick than 2.0mm. If you're fine with it go fot it.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2018, 01:22 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Dusty054 wrote:
I've had a couple of bats lacquered and assembled by TT11 for myself and others. They do a decent job. They use normal water based glue so no problem getting the rubbers off when the time comes.
depends on the rubber and blade. Also depends on the glue they use at the time they assemble.

I had to essentially destroy FL3 and Vega Europe. And that was put together by TT11. I love TT11, but this can happen with any retailer that assembles (except zeropong, they only use RC for this very reason). I have also had to destroy a Omega IV assembled by them. I also had great results. It really just depends. And this is true of all retailers.

Eventually, you will need to buy replacement rubbers and will have to assemble glue it yourself...may as well learn.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2018, 01:53 

Blade: Killerspin Jet200
FH: Some Rubber
BH: Some Rubber
I just shot TT11 an email asking them if they are willing to use Falco WG for my order. I know that they use Donic Formula First glue and I read on another thread here that it is really difficult to get it off later. haggisv - Any comment?

Mimobrok - So would 2.0mm rubber suit me better to 1.8mm? Or is it all about personal preference? I don't want to have a setup that is easy to adjust to in the beginning but limits my game as I progress. Would like to keep the same setup for as long as possible.

Thanks
Ayon

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2018, 02:27 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
It's personal preference but seeing that you're already playing with 1.8 a step up to 2.0 wouldn't be uncontrollable. You are already getting an allround blade and a not-so-fast rubber.

Another reason to step up to 2.0 is that many rubbers are not offered at 1.8 thickness and one day you'll have to move up for more spin and speed anyway. The question is when do you want to make that change?

From your description that you want to keep using the racket for a long time, if I were you I would go with thicker from the start. My first racket was an off- blade with 2.0 Mark V and I have no problem adjusting to it coming from a premade.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 15:29 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I'm not a beginner... but now the season has ended, and my life circumstances have changed such that I can't commit to league or tournament play over the summer, I'm going back to basics, and have just bought myself a Donic Appelgren Allplay blade, with 2 x 2.1mm Donic Bluestorm Z2. This is literally the first time I have owned a "beginner setup". I've played with LP on my BH for most of my playing life, and a mixture of SP and inverted on my FH. I've also never owned a 'classic allround blade' before... I've used slow, over-sized defender's blades, and fast attacking blades.

The blade I selected, and that Cobalt often recommends, is a very well-regarded all-round control blade. I've been delighted with it so far.

Personally I'd go with a modern, current generation Tensor from the get-go. On a sensible blade it won't be massively faster than a "classic" rubber, and you'll be using what you'll probably end up using after 6 months to a year. Go for the thinnest that's offered, which is usually around 2.1mm. Equipment is vastly over-thought, and its impact on your play will be a tiny fraction compared to your physique, fitness, footwork, relaxation, eyesight, lighting, humidity, ball and table quality and mood.

As for which one to use, they're basically almost identical, made in the same factory, with the same materials, to the same spec, with the same quality contol, just a slightly different sponge, and brand name. I went with Donic because I get a good price on Donic through a sponsorship arrangement.

Once you've got a good quality all-round blade, and current genersation rubbers, in not too thick form, just get out and practice control shots FH and BH. Look to be able to keep the ball on the table and place it in a consistent area, with good form, and a relaxed body.

Take your time! And have fun!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 16:48 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Welcome to the Appelgren club. Got a nice feel to it hasn't it.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 17:07 
Super User

I play with a Yasaka Sweden Classic. Love it! Very similar feel to the Appelgren I believe! Might get myself an Appelgren too one day :P Certainly not an EJ ;)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 22:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

DHS No.15 liquid glue, white colored.
China National Team is now consuming this product a lot.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Dhs ... 50638.html

Be happy.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 02:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Japsican wrote:
My recommendation: Use water based glue (WBG) on the sponge of the rubber, and rubber cement on the blade. Let both dry completely then assemble rubber to blade. RC is technically illegal in TT as it is a VOC glue, but honestly it doesn't affect anything and unless you are pro-level nobody is going to test your racket for VOCs. (There used to be a thing called speed glue and that's why VOCs are banned). Many people use RC and really it's a non-issue.

I see no reason not to use rubber cement (the abovementioned RC - I use Elmer's Rubber Cement but Best Test is supposedly better) on both the rubber and the blade. It's a LOT easier to use, no really long waits for the stuff to dry, and no OH HECK moments when you accidentally touch the rubber and a small part of the layer peels off... Rubber cement is NOT illegal to use - what IS illegal is failing the VOC test. Which your racket will pass anyway if you wait a few days before testing. Not that many of us would ever have to have our rackets tested, ever.

As far as the thickness of the sponge - I don't think there's any reason for beginners not to start with max sponge (usually 2.2mm). In the old days when the ball was smaller, yes, beginners started with 1.5mm sponge, and most serious players never went beyond 2.0mm. These days the ball is bigger, not to mention it's got even bigger very recently. A lot of rubber are ONLY available in 2.2mm sponge.

Suggested blade? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 02:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I know this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but buying a cheap premade bat (with grippy rubber/and sponge) for a beginner isn't the worst course of action.
It'll wear out in a few months and you can decide then on what to buy and have a little more understanding of your own game.

There is another type of beginner, the type who will get training and is serious about the sport. For that beginner I recommend asking the coach or going with some slower rubber(again I would ask the coach: soft euro or hard chinese rubber?) and a wood blade. Pretty much every company makes this equipment on the cheaper side but is good enough to progress with for 1-2 years.

One thing that I have learned recently is that "slow" equipment can become too fast if you improve your technique. You may find yourself returning to your beginner setup from time to time as you work on technique. Many players with poor technique go with the fastest equipment to try and get extra speed. You'll see these heavy hard blades with very bouncy rubbers.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 01:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose a Sardius with two sheets of Tenergy 05 would be worse than a bad premade.. :lol:

CHEAP premades of the right sort are actually quite good. You know, like this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 74001.html

Should be better for the beginner than, say, this very expensive one: :lol:

https://www.killerspin.com/collections/ ... ed-edition

Iskandar