OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 13:32 

Blade: Killerspin Jet200
FH: Some Rubber
BH: Some Rubber
Hi Guys
I am starting to play TT again and recently purchased a cheap pre-made racquet (Killerspin Jet200) however I am not very happy with it and wanted some suggestion on what to invest in. I don't want a pre-made racquet because I want to be able upgrade the rubber as I progress with my skill and retain the blade for a longer time. So far I have only been able to decide on the blade: Stiga Allround Classic.
I need suggestions for rubber. Here is some more information about me to help you guys understand better.

What is your skill level?
No USATT rating. I consider myself to be a beginner even though I have being playing TT for almost 5 years but on and off and with big gaps in between. I was never formally trained.

What style do you play?
My primary game is BH placement with some top spin. I seem to be a bit weak on the FH. My style of game is to set up the opponent with some good BH stroke and finishing off with FH. However lately I've been trying to improve my FH game. However my biggest weakness is footwork. I tend to stand relatively close to the board as I find it difficult to control the shot from far.

What are your goals for this new equipment?
I feel that with the cheap paddles that I play with (Jet200), I never get any spin. Also I don't seem to get a good feel while hitting the ball and be confident that it will land in the spot I want. Its all very vague.
I want more spin and control. I want to feel the ball when hitting with the racket.

What are you currently using, and what don’t you like about it?
Mentioned above.

Thanks for your help!
Ayon

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 14:33 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
I've tried most of the recommended beginner rubber.
Get any of these 2.0 or MAX hardness and you should be good about spinning
Here are my thoughts:

Mark V
Pros:
Least spin sensitive
Easy to control
Cons:
Expensive(~$34)
Least spin and speed of the three compared

Xiom Vega Intro
Pros:
Speedy and Spinny
Cheap Tensor($30)
Cons:
Speed>>Spin, so a little hard to lift off the net
Weird feeling(Speed glue feeling?)
Spin-sensitive

Palio CJ8000 36-38 degree
Pros:
High spin to speed ratio
Can be powerful enough if needed
Extremely cheap($10)
Cons:
Is semi-tacky, so if you don't have a full stroke will be a little hard to utilize properly
Is semi-tacky, so hard to block, and also a little harder to control in general unless you are used to using tacky rubber
Probably not a good backhand rubber. A little too hard I think.
Not very forgiving

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 14:36 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Go to: North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook, read the lengthy introduction. It will give you some ideas. A lot of short video technique links there in one place.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 14:51 

I had looked at the Yasaka Mark V HPS during my research. Does it overcome any of the Cons that you mentioned about the Mark V?

Also the Palio CJ8000 rubber is what comes on the Palio Expert 2 pre-made racquet and apparently it gets 10/10 for control. How is that?

Thanks
Ayon

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 15:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Have a read of this thread, which discusses in detail what to look for as your first competition bat:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2349

Mimobrok's suggestions are excellent. No, Mark V HPS is likely too fast for a beginner.

Don't look at ratings...10/10 for control is meaningless.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 15:41 
I am Legend
I am Legend

That thread needs an update, but the general gist is still the same - buy an "all" to "off-" range blade and 1.8mm rubbers. 2.0 if you can't find 1.8, definitely not 2.1 or max.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 18:24 

Blade: Nittaku Latika Flared
FH: Xiom Vega Intro 2.0mm
BH: Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm
I just want to clarify that just because I say Mark V has the least spin and speed of the three doesn't mean it's lacking. I would say that the speed is definitely enough provided that you're physically normal and using your body in the shot(which if you are not already doing-- do it).

The speed requirement to kill a shot depends on the playing level of a player, but I believe that Mark V is definitely enough up until at least 1800.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 19:50 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Hi Ayon, your choice of blade is a good one however don't get the WRB version of Stiga Allround Classic as I've used it with Mark V and it's dead. I think the normal version is ok but I'd prefer the Appelgren Allplay or Yasaka Sweden Classic which are very similar. From the Stiga range I'd suggest the Allround Evolution.

If you are starting with control rubbers I agree you could go an ALL+ blade and possibly OFF- but no higher.

In regards to rubbers, I've got a friend that never uses protector sheets which you should if using tacky rubbers. For this reason we got him non-tacky. His Appelgren with MarsII is a great combo. Another great combo is Andro Temper Tech All+ with LKT XP Pro. I could easily use these in competition. A little slower than with tensors but you can do all the shots really well. If you are going with a tensor then don't go thicker than 2.0mm. If non-tensor anything would be ok but 2.0mm is good middle ground for all.

Don't get bogged down too much, just pick a blade you like, put some rubbers on and PRACTICE.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 20:50 

Yes I was planning to get the Stiga Allround Classic (non-WRB) as I figured a top heavy blade would affect my BH play? Also I picked the classic over the evolution because it has some flex, apparently its the way to go with blades (a colleague of mine from china advised). Do you think the I would need the flex more or the faster speed of the evolution given an already medium speed rubber (I'm pretty fixated on the Mark V at this point). Has anyone played both these combos and can compare?
Stiga Allround Evolution + Yasaka Mark V (1.8 )
Stiga Allround Classic + Yasaka Mark V (1.8 )

*Bonus*
Yasaka Sweden Classic + Yasaka Mark V (1.8 )

Thanks for the link to the other thread, above combo seems to be recommended there as well.

Thanks
Ayon

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 20:59 

Blade: Primorac Carbon
FH: Donic Bluegrip
BH: Dornenglanz
Stiga Allround Classic with mark v is good, i played with that before going to pimples on backhand
Almost everyone in my league playes with tha combo

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:10 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
ion84 wrote:
I had looked at the Yasaka Mark V HPS during my research. Does it overcome any of the Cons that you mentioned about the Mark V?

Also the Palio CJ8000 rubber is what comes on the Palio Expert 2 pre-made racquet and apparently it gets 10/10 for control. How is that?

Thanks
Ayon

I have recently used the HPS extensively for a double inverted modern defense game (chopping and then topspin attack).

In pure topspin attacking, it seems to lack spin compared to other tensors. It's very fast and powerful, and I liked it, but it was..."strange" for lack of a better word. So I put it on my attacking blades and the lack of spin still felt apparent. I feel like I would have had to change my topspin technique (which is far from perfect) to compensate for the lack of spin and extremely low throw. My serves also suffered. For reference, I played with Xiom Omega VI Asia on the opposite side and also Barracuda. Night and day in terms of spin. HPS is much faster than regular Mark V, and so I felt out of control a lot of the time.

However, it was a beauty for chopping, and I see why Satoshi Aida (modern defender) plays with it. One of the best chopping rubbers I've tried, just lacked spin for serves and loops to me.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:25 

Thanks Guys!

I read some more and seems like for someone like me you can't go wrong with a Stiga Allround Classic and Mark V (1.8 ) combo. I am placing the order on tabletennis11.com with their blade lacquering and assembly service. Has anyone used them? How is their workmanship?

Thanks
Ayon

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:46 

Blade: Primorac Carbon
FH: Donic Bluegrip
BH: Dornenglanz
I would recomend to polish and glue yourself.. When I order with gluing, it has been hell geting the rubbers off..

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 21:57 

Z0BBE wrote:
I would recomend to polish and glue yourself.. When I order with gluing, it has been hell geting the rubbers off..

I have never done if before and afraid that I might ruin it. If their work is that bad I gan go to a local shop and hope they do it better.

Thanks
Ayon

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018, 22:22 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I've had a couple of bats lacquered and assembled by TT11 for myself and others. They do a decent job. They use normal water based glue so no problem getting the rubbers off when the time comes.