OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Equipment problem
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 09:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

1.2 MM SPONGE is the thing to try for.

http://m.eacheng.net/descript-11146.html

Be happy.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 18:21 

Blade: Waldner Allplay
FH: Coppa standard 2mm
BH: MarkV standard 2mm
Ranger-man wrote:
I believe that your main problem is that you have gotten so used to how your premade plays that now the new setup is a bit of a learning and adjustment curve. I would assume the premade is almost dead now and almost plays like a hardbat, or close to it so a brand new grippy rubber with a thicker sponge is a serious change. I don’t think there is any rubber out there with 1.5mm sponge that will play even close to your premade.

So, first off, and this is just my opinion but I would not recommend that you use the old blade anymore, not even with new rubbers. The wood will splinter and peel when you try to change rubbers. I feel the Waldner Allplay is by no means a crazy fast or hard-to-control blade and your coach should be able to tell you how to adjust your strokes so that you start to develop the technique you need to control it. So I don’t really believe that the blade is the problem here.

I believe the same to be true with the rubbers. The rubbers are in the Sriver range – maybe marginally faster – but still pretty good for players to develop their strokes on. So you should be able to manage it as well since you are more advanced than a beginner. Also, I think 1.5mm is thin enough. Any thinner and you run the risk of bottoming out, which will bring the wood into play, which will actually lead to a lack of control on your shots and returns and blocks.
This is my opinion.

I would suggest that you increase your time practicing your technique – a bit more than you already do to speed the process up. Maybe adjust your table tennis time in a way that is skewed bit more in favor of practice and less towards actual games, above what you already do. The reason I am saying this is because in matches when winning is the target we often tend to fall back into old habits and try to get the point “by any means necessary.” In practice, you will do what needs to be done to improve your technique since you won’t be chasing points.

It won’t hurt to try the Gewo rubber too, and you can switch later on when your strokes are developed according to the new setup. But stick with the Donic blade.

If you find the handle is too thin then you can get grip tape for it. They have that for table tennis rackets just like tennis and badminton.
I have seen players at the club where I usually hang out go through similar phases and they have come out brilliantly. I am pretty sure you will too.

Here are some places that sell the Gewo rubber.

https://www.tt-megastore.de/gewo-return-drive.html

http://www.misterping.com/gewo-return-drive.html

http://www.ittfshop.ru/product/gewo-return-drive

http://fletcherstewart.com/view-by-divi ... stewart_gb

I think you're right, I'm too used to the old racket. However I absolutely do try with the new racket. In fact, I constantly play with it right now, since the competitive season ended, and when the competitive season was running I trained probably 3-4 times between every match day and on these training evenings I would mostly use the new one.

Could you explain more about thin sponge losing control to the blade?

Thank you for the links to that rubber.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 18:22 

igorponger wrote:
1.2 MM SPONGE is the thing to try for.

Be happy.

999T is more a Chinese type rubber no? Hard sponge and tacky surface, will this not be too fast even with the thin sponge? I also read the old Chinese type like Globe rubbers need a boosting to be good, but I may be wrong.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 21:14 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
ambition_tt wrote:

If you are a push blocker who plays close to the table then a thinner sponge is good. A thinner sponge is usually slower. But if you are a looper you need to generate topspin to get the ball to dip on to the table. A thicker sponge means there is room for the ball to dig in and maintain contact, increasing dwell time - time the ball stays on the rubber - and this increases the amount of topspin you can impart on the ball. This means that even if the sponge is faster, with proper technique it will dip on to the table.

If the sponge is thin, there is more chance that the ball will sink into the rubber, make contact with the wood and rebound faster thus decreasing your dwell time. This results in less spin and less dip on to the table. This is why hard Chinese rubbers are not good for looping unless they have been boosted. They are tacky so they do hold on to the ball longer but being harder they don't let the ball sink in. You usually need flexible blades to make them work better. They can be so tacky at times that they will actually lift the ball off the table and hold it there for a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMVs3u0kJXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkdAxfA_3wE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BNkWN9s1E

They can be insanely spinny if you get used to them. I use 729 Super FX on my one-play blade.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 22:42 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
ambition_tt wrote:
I played for 15 years with a premade racket casually ('Tibhar Samsonov Top', which has 'Tibhar Norm' rubbers on it, 1mm I think) and recently joined a club, where everyone immediately started to tell me: you need to get better equipment, this won't do!

So I did it. A TT store guy sold and glued me a basic combo for a nice price: Donic Waldner Allplay blade + 2x Donic Vario 1.5mm rubbers.

However, after many months of trying to learn playing with it, I just can't get as good results as with the Tibhar racket. Whenever I prepare for a match or play one, I just use my old premade racket: great control and if I hit and brush hard I got enough gears to make a very spinny serve and kill shots, loop just fine, great blocks, much control, I can push and receive push very well, even sometimes chopping. I just can't adjust to the speed and sensitivity of most modern rubbers I tried (I tried many rackets from clubmates and friends, the tension rubbers are the worst, like the first time shooting a gun with no training lol). And I'm not even bad with the premade racket: I finished my first competitive season with 72% WR (top 5 in the pool), me and the team were 2nd in the pool.

At a point I heard of antispin rubbers and since many people said that premade racket rubbers (especially the old ones) are basically like antispin rubber, I tried a clubmate's antispin (Yasaka Anti 2mm on ALL blade), and it's not the same at all.

So now I wonder: should I replace this anyways, and with what? Even if I still improve, this racket is indeed quite old, the rubbers lost much grip, it's dirty. All I know is I'm at least looking for very thin and I think soft/medium hard sponge, 1mm maximum, and a blade with high control and good feel, but most things I tried yet I feel don't come close to this cheap Tibhar racket I got. I hope you understand my problem. :sweat:
1.1 mm basically are the thinnest available rubber currently, except,

If You buy a replacement sponge. ;)

I can't recommend to use something thinner than 1 mm though, but it possible.

Kokutaku BLutenkirsche Japan sponge play like Tackiness Chop 2, so soft but springly, and available from 0.3 mm to 2.1 mm ;)

That means You could make cheap Tackiness Chop 2 using Pro XP top sheet (Pro XP is available at 1.5 mm) and replace the sponge to make it livelier.

And btw, most LKT Rubbers share a trait, very controllable. ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 00:02 

Ranger-man wrote:
ambition_tt wrote:

If you are a push blocker who plays close to the table then a thinner sponge is good. A thinner sponge is usually slower. But if you are a looper you need to generate topspin to get the ball to dip on to the table. A thicker sponge means there is room for the ball to dig in and maintain contact, increasing dwell time - time the ball stays on the rubber - and this increases the amount of topspin you can impart on the ball. This means that even if the sponge is faster, with proper technique it will dip on to the table.

If the sponge is thin, there is more chance that the ball will sink into the rubber, make contact with the wood and rebound faster thus decreasing your dwell time. This results in less spin and less dip on to the table. This is why hard Chinese rubbers are not good for looping unless they have been boosted. They are tacky so they do hold on to the ball longer but being harder they don't let the ball sink in. You usually need flexible blades to make them work better. They can be so tacky at times that they will actually lift the ball off the table and hold it there for a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMVs3u0kJXo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkdAxfA_3wE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BNkWN9s1E

They can be insanely spinny if you get used to them. I use 729 Super FX on my one-play blade.

I see, that makes sense. I wonder since some Chinese rubbers have a very thick topsheet, this doesn't help with more 'bounce' and can prevent engaging the blade, no?

Yes it sounds right the hard Chinese sponges suck for looping, a thin hard sponge must be awful. However, with Chinese rubbers, there are for example the Globe 999T which igorponger recommended in 1.2mm, I read it has a softer sponge than typical Chinese rubbers. And there is also even softer 999T with Japanese sponge, which is really soft and a popular looper rubber, and there is a thinnest 1.5mm option. This is also a good option, maybe? And may not need boosting (I prefer not to do this, never done it and feels wrong, also against the rules).

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 00:25 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Ranger-man wrote:
I believe that your main problem is that you have gotten so used to how your premade plays that now the new setup is a bit of a learning and adjustment curve. I would assume the premade is almost dead now and almost plays like a hardbat, or close to it so a brand new grippy rubber with a thicker sponge is a serious change. I don’t think there is any rubber out there with 1.5mm sponge that will play even close to your premade.

So, first off, and this is just my opinion but I would not recommend that you use the old blade anymore, not even with new rubbers. The wood will splinter and peel when you try to change rubbers. I feel the Waldner Allplay is by no means a crazy fast or hard-to-control blade and your coach should be able to tell you how to adjust your strokes so that you start to develop the technique you need to control it. So I don’t really believe that the blade is the problem here.

I believe the same to be true with the rubbers. The rubbers are in the Sriver range – maybe marginally faster – but still pretty good for players to develop their strokes on. So you should be able to manage it as well since you are more advanced than a beginner. Also, I think 1.5mm is thin enough. Any thinner and you run the risk of bottoming out, which will bring the wood into play, which will actually lead to a lack of control on your shots and returns and blocks.
This is my opinion.

I would suggest that you increase your time practicing your technique – a bit more than you already do to speed the process up. Maybe adjust your table tennis time in a way that is skewed bit more in favor of practice and less towards actual games, above what you already do. The reason I am saying this is because in matches when winning is the target we often tend to fall back into old habits and try to get the point “by any means necessary.” In practice, you will do what needs to be done to improve your technique since you won’t be chasing points.

+1
I think this is very good advice. The new bat you have is relatively easy to control in the scheme of things and if there is a problem then it is more to do with your technique than the equipment. In the beginning you may play worse but if you intend to make looping a part of your game you should be able to loop easily with the new bat. No need to buy need any more equipment for now.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 01:33 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

I personally do not boost either. But then I don't use the super tacky, super hard sponge rubbers either. The 729 Super FX though is one my favorite rubbers but it could be the fact that it is on a one ply blade. It would not work on a slower or very stiff blade. Although it could depending on what you want to do with it. If your game is close to the table pushes, blocks and placement, it could work on a stiff blade too.

As for boosting, let me quote Baal and what he said on another forum and this makes a lot of sense:

"If the manufacturer soaks the sponge in some booster chemical, and then puts it in the package it is legal for you to use it. If you buy the same booster chemical and put it on the sponge, it is illegal, even if all you are doing is restoring a factory boosted rubber to its original condition.. Nobody seems to be able to justify this but that is the rule all the same. Originally Adham Sharara said the ban on boosters was a safety and health issue, but of course, one of the main ingredients is the same as baby oil -- something we rub onto the skin of babies."

I feel the top Chinese players can probably loop with anything though, boosted or not. So, you can boost if you want, but I am in the same boat as you. I prefer not to.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 02:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ranger-man wrote:
Originally Adham Sharara said the ban on boosters was a safety and health issue, but of course, one of the main ingredients is the same as baby oil -- something we rub onto the skin of babies."

You know, I don't know what Sharara said or when (he's been quoted as saying that ALL cellulose was bad, when it was actually the nitrate part that made balls flammable; or he might've been misquoted, which is much more likely), but the health concerns actually applied to speed glues rather than boosters. In the 1990s the sort of stuff people were putting on rubbers WAS indeed dangerous - stuff like carbon tetrachloride and halogenated aromatic hydrocarbons in glues. Known carcinogens. You had to apply these every time you wanted to play, because the effect only lasted 2-3 hours if that. People would glue up at indoors at tournaments and gyms where there were kids in attendance. So yes, they were banned, and there was a gigantic uproar about it (I was around at the time and remember). Boosters and Tenergy and Tensors were the result of that ban. There isn't a ban on boosters per se, the ban is on altering the properties of the rubber after it left the factory, and it applies as much to people rubbing epoxy on the tips of long pips as it does to people rubbing baby oil on inverted rubber. Yes, everyone admits it's impossible to police boosting, and "everyone does it", but repealing that rule would have unintended consequences, such as the aforementioned use of epoxy on long pip tips. Which is my guess as to why the rule hasn't been repealed.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 04:41 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

iskandar taib wrote:
Ranger-man wrote:
Originally Adham Sharara said the ban on boosters was a safety and health issue, but of course, one of the main ingredients is the same as baby oil -- something we rub onto the skin of babies."

You know, I don't know what Sharara said or when (he's been quoted as saying that ALL cellulose was bad, when it was actually the nitrate part that made balls flammable; or he might've been misquoted, which is much more likely), but the health concerns actually applied to speed glues rather than boosters. In the 1990s the sort of stuff people were putting on rubbers WAS indeed dangerous - stuff like carbon tetrachloride and halogenated aromatic hydrocarbons in glues. Known carcinogens. You had to apply these every time you wanted to play, because the effect only lasted 2-3 hours if that. People would glue up at indoors at tournaments and gyms where there were kids in attendance. So yes, they were banned, and there was a gigantic uproar about it (I was around at the time and remember). Boosters and Tenergy and Tensors were the result of that ban. There isn't a ban on boosters per se, the ban is on altering the properties of the rubber after it left the factory, and it applies as much to people rubbing epoxy on the tips of long pips as it does to people rubbing baby oil on inverted rubber. Yes, everyone admits it's impossible to police boosting, and "everyone does it", but repealing that rule would have unintended consequences, such as the aforementioned use of epoxy on long pip tips. Which is my guess as to why the rule hasn't been repealed.

Iskandar

I was around at the time of speed glue too and hated it since I never used it. Been around since the 38m ball actually (yeah yeah I am old :punch: lol). So, according the ITTF VOC is banned, and therefore any booster (no speed glue since that is already gone) that contains VOC is also illegal, because VOC is illegal. That is why there is now a proposal to legalize non-VOC based boosters in the next AGM. The rationale is that these cannot be detected anyway, so the rule is pretty much useless.

https://d3mjm6zw6cr45s.cloudfront.net/2 ... itions.pdf

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 06:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

USING THE Zippo Fuel AS AN ADHESIVE REMOVER.

Disassembling those premade rackets is an exciting experience, indeed ..
First of all, you need some chemical stuff to remove the rubber, those factory glues (polyuretane bonding) very difficult to detach and may cause the outer veneer splitted.

Some petroleum distilates will do the job very well.

A while ago, I did upgrad two vintage Stiga rackets from my stock, using some Zippo fuel.

Be happy.

----------------------

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 14:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

What Zippo fuel has to do with what we're discussing, I have absolutely no idea, unless it's to help the original poster remove the rubber from his pre-made (which I don't think he wants to do, since the LIKES his bat).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 14:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ranger-man wrote:
This is why hard Chinese rubbers are not good for looping unless they have been boosted. They are tacky so they do hold on to the ball longer but being harder they don't let the ball sink in. You usually need flexible blades to make them work better. They can be so tacky at times that they will actually lift the ball off the table and hold it there for a few seconds.

Unless you can loop like Ma Long (i.e. extremely powerful loops). Then they produce more spin than anything else. One of the surprises I've had since I started to play again is that a lot of people actually say harder rubbers spin the ball more than do soft rubbers, you just have to loop hard enough to use them. For middlin'-club-and-rec players like a lot of us, soft rubbers might be better. Never heard anyone ever say this in the old days. Back then, Chinese rubbers were cheap curiosities, not something you'd use if you were serious, you'd use something like Sriver or Mendo and those would be speed glued if you were REALLY serious. Didn't even know you could speed-glue Chinese rubbers, never heard of anyone doing it. This was way before H3 (or even H2).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 06:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ambition_tt wrote:
igorponger wrote:
1.2 MM SPONGE is the very thing.

Be happy.

999T is more a Chinese type rubber no? Hard sponge and tacky surface, will this not be too fast even with the thin sponge? I also read the old Chinese type like Globe rubbers need a boosting to be good, but I may be wrong.

Try for non-tacky version. It is worth trying , anyway...
http://m.eacheng.net/Globe-999-p11145.html

PostPosted: 02 May 2018, 03:22 

Alright thank you for all the help guys.

So, I will keep practicing with the custom racket. Honestly I do keep getting better with it and although I still think I play maybe 70% as good as with the Tibhar racket and seriously I also think even my spin is better with it, I will simply ignore it and play matches with it anyways. I should care more about improving with modern rubber than with the old one and winning for now, if I get better with this I should in the end get better results, and this is more important than winning in the short term.

I should follow on the better spin of the old racket however because this is really true, and maybe in the old racket this is simply the one thing it does better. It is much slower than the new one however and one of the best characteristic of the new one is sensitivity to the incoming spin but also speed. It makes return the push and blocking much easier (the balls bounce off faster and thus deeper), and strangely while I feel the spin capability is weaker 'lifting' a returning spin ball from for example a strong push or chop, or return spin service much easier with a top spin attack. With the Tibhar racket I can do it as well but not as good, which is why I will usually just push back or 'block' with the racket open.

I checked some reviews for this Gewo rubber, it looks good and while it would be hard for me to get it or quite expensive to order online, my club mates have said Gewo is a good maker of 'strange' rubbers. A guy uses a hard sponge (maybe a tension type) Gewo rubber on BH side with offensive 1 wood blade, I think abachi, and it's really powerful.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!