OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Alibaba's Top-Chop
PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 23:20 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I understand that you'd like to buy the AK47 but since it's not the best choice for chopping or defense you have hopes on the biotech version. But biotech really isn't more than just factory tuning.

You may look for Palio Hidden Dragon (36-38°) instead, that rubber would fit the needs somewhat better than AK47, and have a look at Drunken Dragon (40-42°/42-44°) if it really needs to be tacky.

May I ask what's wrong with Yinhe 9000, Corbor or CJ8000? You may order one or two together with the more expensive one and just try them out.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 02:23 
Super User

Red wrote:
I understand that you'd like to buy the AK47 but since it's not the best choice for chopping or defense you have hopes on the biotech version. But biotech really isn't more than just factory tuning.

You may look for Palio Hidden Dragon (36-38°) instead, that rubber would fit the needs somewhat better than AK47, and have a look at Drunken Dragon (40-42°/42-44°) if it really needs to be tacky.

May I ask what's wrong with Yinhe 9000, Corbor or CJ8000? You may order one or two together with the more expensive one and just try them out.

huh ? whatever gave you the impression that I'm hot for the AK47, and not for the Yinhes and Corbors etc...I was just asking around...

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 02:26 
Super User

So guys, I think I've narrowed it down on what type of Rubber I think I want to use on the Defplay FH...

I want something like the XVE, but just less bouncy, and a lot cheaper..

PostPosted: 08 May 2018, 14:38 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Cheap rubber? Lots of $5 sheets out there. One of my favorites:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

It's sold as being a slower, control rubber. I suppose it is, but I don't think it's all that much different from others, and the price is right. If you want slower, well. H3 would be slower (but would cost more).

Iskandar

Hi.. Seems like there are 4-5 variants of the 9000... Which variant have you recommended, and have you actually used it ? ... The above link does not make any mention of it.. Also, what sponge thickness would you recommend ?

A point to note - My loops/top-spins, tend to be medium-slow, and extremely spinny; and I almost never-ever brush the ball.

PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 18:32 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
That being said, the 388D-1 (or the 388D) both chop very well and work well on the Defplay. I actually think you should get a little bit of sponge (maybe 0.5mm) to add some grip if you are planning on chopping more than blocking. If you are going to block more, stick with OX.

I think Dawei 388D-1 with XVE on a defplay is an excellent setup. If you really hate the XVE jump back to Reflectoid.

Good luck.

Reactivating Post

So, I switched to the 388D-1 (OX)... Seems to be pretty different from the Pogo.. Dunno why, but I feel it's bouncier...Finding it hard to keep the ball low with this... Also, I find that my chops (over and away from the table) seem to have less backpspin, as compared to when I used to chop with the Pogo... Would the 388D-1 require a different chopping technique ?

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 02:26 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

ootbs wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Cheap rubber? Lots of $5 sheets out there. One of my favorites:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

It's sold as being a slower, control rubber. I suppose it is, but I don't think it's all that much different from others, and the price is right. If you want slower, well. H3 would be slower (but would cost more).

Iskandar

Hi.. Seems like there are 4-5 variants of the 9000... Which variant have you recommended, and have you actually used it ? ... The above link does not make any mention of it.. Also, what sponge thickness would you recommend ?

A point to note - My loops/top-spins, tend to be medium-slow, and extremely spinny; and I almost never-ever brush the ball.

Sorry, didn't see this the first time around. Anyhow... I recommend the current 9000 two-pack. Price is right, and the rubber is relatively light, and I've used several sheets (mind you, there's no guarantee that the 9000 2-pack you get today is the same rubber I got a year ago). I did try the retail-packed 9000D and 9000E - both had a tan sponge (slightly different shades of tan), and were heavy. IIRC both also came with two different sponge hardnesses. And to be honest I can't tell the difference between ANY of them. I can't even tell if there's a difference between the D and the E in the catalog! Anyhow.. I think the 2 for 1 packs are surplus from Yinhe's pre-made bat line. In the past they actually sold sheets that were oval-shaped (quite a bit bigger than a blade). Some photos on Yinhe's web site in the past showed the sponge for these molded in those shapes, I suppose it saves material, and I don't know why they quit doing it that way.

Thickness?? Like a lot of Chinese rubber, it ONLY comes in one thickness - Max.

By the way... how do you do slow, spinny loops without brushing? Sounds like a recipe for hitting the ceiling if you're putting any degree of racket head speed into the shot.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 02:58 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:

By the way... how do you do slow, spinny loops without brushing? Sounds like a recipe for hitting the ceiling if you're putting any degree of racket head speed into the shot.
Iskandar

Umm.. Perhaps I'm not describing it correctly... I wouldnt call it a brushing action... The contact to the ball is much fuller(if that makes any sense)

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 31 May 2018, 06:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Is it a loop at all, or a topspin drive? The definition does seem to have changed over the years.... everything seems to be a "loop" these days unless it's a really flat hit.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 14:04 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Is it a loop at all, or a topspin drive? The definition does seem to have changed over the years.... everything seems to be a "loop" these days unless it's a really flat hit.
Iskandar

Nope... I'm pretty sure it's not a drive.. There's a sh*t-load of spin on it, and not much pace.. However, I don't think my action is the typical "brushing-the-ball" action. On second thought, I think I'm using the correct terminology, but not being able to explain myself properly..

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 21:42 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ootbs wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Iskandar

Nope... I'm pretty sure it's not a drive.. There's a sh*t-load of spin on it, and not much pace.. However, I don't think my action is the typical "brushing-the-ball" action. On second thought, I think I'm using the correct terminology, but not being able to explain myself properly..

I kind of gave up on trying to understand written descriptions of strokes, more or less from everyone, not singling you out.

That's why people on the forum usually ask for videos, and yes, they are not always feasible/available.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 23:14 
Super User

True.. I know so many players, including ones playing 1st or 2nd division, calling an over-the-table push, a chop.. Similarly, most players I know call a LP an Anti.. For them, the actual anti "smooth anti"

I don't mind video'ing my games, but at our club, phones are not allowed on the playing floor, and thank god for that...

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk