OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Alibaba's Top-Chop
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 14:59 
Super User

Hi,

First things first - I think I'm coming down with a mild case of the EJ virus. I'm a very budget concious (stingy, miserly, scrooge) patient, and a firm believer of Alternate Medicine, especially Chinese medicine, available @ AliExpress, with Free Shipping..

Around a month ago, I made the switch to playing with LPs, and have just about begun to get the hang of playing with them. My current primary setup is

Donic Defplay Senso V3
Pogo OX LP
Xiom Vega Europe Max Thickness (XVE)

Ever since I've made the shift to LPs, it just so happens,that I prefer moving away (mid-distance) from the table, and chop the ball (rather, try to)... I don't make a concious effort to do it, and I don't do it on all points, but do it often enough, especially on my BH... Anyway, I'm not sure if the Pogo is meant for this style of play.. I mean, I do manage to get most of the balls to land on the other side of the table, but I doubts the effectiveness of those balls...They don't seem to trouble the opponents... I'm not ruling out that it could be a technique thing (??), but from what I've read, the Pogoi is more of a close-top-table hitting LP (??) I'm thinking of shifting to the Dawei 388D-1 OX... I'd bought it along with the Pogo, but since the Pogo came highly recommended, I did not use the Dawei.

Would the 388D-1 work well with the Defplay Senso V3 ?

Now, for the FH - The XVE (Max) + Defplay combo is really awesome for Top-spinning/Looping from close and away from the table. However, it's way to bouncy for chopping, and even blocking.... Is there a better alternative, that can do all 3 - Top-spin, Chop, and Block ? ... I'm not much of a hitter... Please do recommend a sponge thickness too.

I also have a XVT Balsa, Hinoki, Carbon blade that around 10cm thick... I bought it on an absolute whim (remember, that mild case of EJ, I mentioned above ? )... I'm planning on re-gluing the pogo onto that. That'd take care of the BH... Now, once again, I need a recommendations for the FH side... Top-spin, Chop, Block...

Please do bear in mind, that I am looking for low-cost rubbers, ≤ $15 (inclusive of shipping costs)...

Post subject: Re: Alibaba's Top-Chop
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 21:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
re f/h-Yasaka Mark V (Max) i tried that for a while-its good but i went to short pips as i block a lot.
i like the defplay for control.
im always on e bay buying cheap items and re selling-do you do that?

skilless_slapper wrote:
Damn, she was breaking that ass down! :rofl:

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 01:34 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
re f/h-Yasaka Mark V (Max) i tried that for a while-its good but i went to short pips as i block a lot.

Yes, I thought of Mark V (around 1.5 - 1.8mm), but it's well out of my Budget @ $20 - 25

peterpong wrote:
im always on e bay buying cheap items and re selling-do you do that?

nope, I don't re-sell

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 03:27 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Possible fh rubber: Very cheap: CJ8000 36-39° in 1,5 or 2.0mm (I prefer 39-41° now on my stiffer blades but I barely chop with it), Globe Magic Wand >=1.5 is quite hard and unbouncy, nice chopper but topspin needs training, extremely cheap: Reactor Corbor medium-soft (max only) which feels somehow like using Tibhar Varispin, nice chop and drive but hitting is a plague.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2018, 14:46 
Super User

Red wrote:
Possible fh rubber: Very cheap: CJ8000 36-39° in 1,5 or 2.0mm (I prefer 39-41° now on my stiffer blades but I barely chop with it), Globe Magic Wand >=1.5 is quite hard and unbouncy, nice chopper but topspin needs training, extremely cheap: Reactor Corbor medium-soft (max only) which feels somehow like using Tibhar Varispin, nice chop and drive but hitting is a plague.

Yep, I did consider the Palio CJ8000 38-41°, but dont know anyone (in Physical or Virtual domain) who's using it for the chop & top-spin...Have you ?

Say, has anyone played with the Palio AK-47 Biotech ? This is the one with the Orangey-Yellow, flame coloured packaging...

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 07:29 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
ootbs wrote:
Quote:
First things first - I think I'm coming down with a mild case of the EJ virus. ...

Take 2 coaching lessons and see me in the morning.
- Dr Anti-EJ

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2018, 21:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cheap rubber? Lots of $5 sheets out there. One of my favorites:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-Gala ... 53505.html

It's sold as being a slower, control rubber. I suppose it is, but I don't think it's all that much different from others, and the price is right. If you want slower, well. H3 would be slower (but would cost more).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 00:00 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
You can learn to chop with anything, but the XVT balsa is not really ideal. Defplay is one of the best blades for chopping...ever.

I agree that not-EJ'ing is a good path, but Pogo isn't optimal either. As you said, Pogo is a blocking pip, and not really designed for chopping away from the table. (Again, you can chop with anything thought).

That being said, the 388D-1 (or the 388D) both chop very well and work well on the Defplay. I actually think you should get a little bit of sponge (maybe 0.5mm) to add some grip if you are planning on chopping more than blocking. If you are going to block more, stick with OX.

The XVE is actually a pretty forgiving rubber for chopping in my opinion, perhaps you just haven't gotten used to it. I'd try it in 1.8mm or 2.0mm, but there is no reason you can't get used to the bounciness for chopping with time. I actually prefer bouncy for chopping. However, can 100% recommend Reflectoid for non-bouncy chopping rubber. And it's cheap. It works on the defplay but may feel anemic at times (it's pretty slow and the sponge is very pace absorbing) when attacking. When using slower rubbers with sponges that are soft, I recommend thinner sponge as they are actually faster in these cases because the wood is more involved and ads some rebound. The Reflectoid is best in 1.5mm.

I think Dawei 388D-1 with XVE on a defplay is an excellent setup. If you really hate the XVE jump back to Reflectoid.

Good luck.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 03:51 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
You can learn to chop with anything, but the XVT balsa is not really ideal. Defplay is one of the best blades for chopping...ever.

I agree that not-EJ'ing is a good path, but Pogo isn't optimal either. As you said, Pogo is a blocking pip, and not really designed for chopping away from the table. (Again, you can chop with anything thought).

That being said, the 388D-1 (or the 388D) both chop very well and work well on the Defplay. I actually think you should get a little bit of sponge (maybe 0.5mm) to add some grip if you are planning on chopping more than blocking. If you are going to block more, stick with OX.

The XVE is actually a pretty forgiving rubber for chopping in my opinion, perhaps you just haven't gotten used to it. I'd try it in 1.8mm or 2.0mm, but there is no reason you can't get used to the bounciness for chopping with time. I actually prefer bouncy for chopping. However, can 100% recommend Reflectoid for non-bouncy chopping rubber. And it's cheap. It works on the defplay but may feel anemic at times (it's pretty slow and the sponge is very pace absorbing) when attacking. When using slower rubbers with sponges that are soft, I recommend thinner sponge as they are actually faster in these cases because the wood is more involved and ads some rebound. The Reflectoid is best in 1.5mm.

I think Dawei 388D-1 with XVE on a defplay is an excellent setup. If you really hate the XVE jump back to Reflectoid.

Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions..

Ive wanted to buy a Reflectoid for a while now, but it's not available on Aliexpress.. Also, the stores its available in, charge exorbitant shipping fees...

Aliexpress does not charge for shipping to India. Hence, I want recommendation available from there.. Of course, if you know of a store where the Reflectoid is available, with very lower (<5 USD) shipping Charges, then let me know. I even don't mind a Reflectoid clone, thats available on Aliexpress.

Yes, I should have gone with my gut instinct and started off with 388D-1 on the Defplay.. However, I was told that the Pogo would be easier to Control, hence went with that..

I'm thinking of switching to the 388D-1 on my Defplay, and gluing the Pogo on the XVT, as a second block-hit type setup. I also want a FH inverted rubber recommendation...Something that'll work with the thick XVT blade.

I find the XVE very forgiving for loops/topspins, lifting backspin, even fishing ... But, when I try chopping (especially against topspins), the balls just shoots of high or long.. Yes, perhaps, it's my technique, or perhaps max thickness is too much.. It may have been better with 1.8

I think I'll continue with it, for some more time. But just incase, any recommendations for a similar cheaper rubber (to use on my Defplay), available on Aliexpress...

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 04:02 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
ootbs wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions..

Ive wanted to buy a Reflectoid for a while now, but it's not available on Aliexpress.. Also, the stores its available in, charge exorbitant shipping fees...

Aliexpress does not charge for shipping to India. Hence, I want recommendation available from there.. Of course, if you know of a store where the Reflectoid is available, with very lower (<5 USD) shipping Charges, then let me know. I even don't mind a Reflectoid clone, thats available on Aliexpress.

Yes, I should have gone with my gut instinct and started off with 388D-1 on the Defplay.. However, I was told that the Pogo would be easier to Control, hence went with that..

I'm thinking of switching to the 388D-1 on my Defplay, and gluing the Pogo on the XVT, as a second block-hit type setup. I also want a FH inverted rubber recommendation...Something that'll work with the thick XVT blade.

I find the XVE very forgiving for loops/topspins, lifting backspin, even fishing ... But, when I try chopping (especially against topspins), the balls just shoots of high or long.. Yes, perhaps, it's my technique, or perhaps max thickness is too much.. It may have been better with 1.8

I think I'll continue with it, for some more time. But just incase, any recommendations for a similar cheaper rubber (to use on my Defplay), available on Aliexpress...

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

Sorry, I missed the part where you are in India (Apologies, I don't mean to be a stupid American). I should have read more closely bhai.

For a slow cheap rubber, you can try any one of the rubbers Iskandar was speaking about. Any cheap tacky Chinese will perform similar, but have a harder sponge. 729 FX-C is pretty good, slow, low throw. note the -C. It used to be on AliEx.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 08:26 
Super User

I barely chop with the CJ8000 anyway but it is easier with the softer version. The AK47 yellow is somewhat different from the blue or red version, it possibly behaves more like a CJ8000 on steroids.
I decided to stay with the CJ8000 this year and - likely - next year as well. This cheapo is available in numerous versions and will allow me to crank up (or down) my equipment by just a notch if necessary.

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 14:39 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Sorry, I missed the part where you are in India (Apologies, I don't mean to be a stupid American). I should have read more closely bhai.

For a slow cheap rubber, you can try any one of the rubbers Iskandar was speaking about. Any cheap tacky Chinese will perform similar, but have a harder sponge. 729 FX-C is pretty good, slow, low throw. note the -C. It used to be on AliEx.

Easy peazy Japsi.. no worries.. you just missed it ... nothin stupid bout it.. happens to all of us. :)

I've been looking for the 729 FX-C, on Aliexpress, after seeing it listed on your Inverted Chopping Rubber Database. However, I can't find it... I've found several other variants of the 729 FX, but not the -C

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 14:47 
Super User

Red wrote:
I barely chop with the CJ8000 anyway but it is easier with the softer version. The AK47 yellow is somewhat different from the blue or red version, it possibly behaves more like a CJ8000 on steroids.
I decided to stay with the CJ8000 this year and - likely - next year as well. This cheapo is available in numerous versions and will allow me to crank up (or down) my equipment by just a notch if necessary.

I'm not asking about the AK-47 with the Yellow Sponge ... It's the AK-47 BIOTECH version, that seems interesting to me (on paper, atleast)... Unlike the other AK-47s (Red, Blue, Yellow), this ones pretty tacky, has a softer sponge, and is a lot slower, in comparison...

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 16:15 
Super User

ootbs wrote:

I'm not asking about the AK-47 with the Yellow Sponge ... It's the AK-47 BIOTECH version, that seems interesting to me (on paper, atleast)... Unlike the other AK-47s (Red, Blue, Yellow), this ones pretty tacky, has a softer sponge, and is a lot slower, in comparison...

Be careful with revspin-reviews as they totally reflect a limited viewpoint, especially so if there's just a small number of reviews on a product. You may look through this thread http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28532&p=301070 for more information on AK47.
Biotech = Factory tuning. It's still basically a standard AK47, very likely the yellow-version, but factory tuned. A tuned rubber that is slower than the untuned version make me feel quite uncomfortably, to be honest. Downside of this tuning is it wears off quite quickly in less than 2 month, and if you order a 2nd sheet it may behave different from what you got the first time. Additional side effects like bubbles on the topsheet after a while are also quite common.

Blue and red versions of the AK47 are using a tensorlike sponge, the yellow one does not afaik.

PostPosted: 01 May 2018, 19:07 
Super User

Red wrote:

Be careful with revspin-reviews as they totally reflect a limited viewpoint, especially so if there's just a small number of reviews on a product.

which is precisely why I enquired 'bout it, over here...

Red wrote:
.You may look through this thread http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28532&p=301070 for more information on AK47.

...Nothing on the Biotech version on the above-mentioned thread..