OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 22:36 

Cobalt wrote:
Just put one rubber from each blade to test. Put a rakza on the M8 and a 729 on the YSE, have a play around and see what you think.

Thought of doing exactly that, but since the YSE that I have now is not mine - can't do it. Yet another reason to get a YSE of my own :)

Alex

PostPosted: 03 May 2018, 22:39 

+1, but I would even go further and say that play with Sanwei combo 'as is', don't go down EJ route. It sounds as if you are struggling with the fact that you liked the 'lesser brand' setup better, even though you might have expected Yasaka combo to be superior (marketing worked!). That's why blind tests are preferred, by the way.

Brand names should not matter, the only important thing is how you play with it.[/quote]

To me it's not about brand name for sure, but EJ is part of the appeal of me coming back to the TT, that's true.
I enjoy doing the research on all of the equipment and see how it helps tto improve my game.(understanding the its very much secondary to actual the training/practicing).
I think I'm trying to do a little bit of both, be smart about getting the equipment that serves my improving (hopefully) game, but also feed EJ just a little bit.
So I'm thinking of going two routes in parallel: stay with the M8 with 729, but also getting my own YSE with probably Mark 5 on both sides to start out with. And continue to play and experiment with both.

What do you guys think?[/quote]

I'm not sure how you can do these experiments continuously - at some point you need to pick one and try to master it. I guess you can devote ~10% of your time to messing around with different setups just to see what else is out there, but if it gets to 50-50, I wonder if it will mostly hurt your play.[/quote]

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing, it just looks like I need a little more playing time/options/ before making that pick

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 01:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

AlBaron wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
Just put one rubber from each blade to test. Put a rakza on the M8 and a 729 on the YSE, have a play around and see what you think.

Thought of doing exactly that, but since the YSE that I have now is not mine - can't do it. Yet another reason to get a YSE of my own :)

Or get a Stiga Allround Classic or similar - I think it's about half the price. Or get three or four more M8s at the same price... :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 84830.html

(The price has gone up a buck since I got mine - and I bought a lot of them! :lol: Maybe I should revisit all those other much more expensive blades I've bought - a Darker, a Septear, three Yinhe Kiso 7s.. haven't touched them in a long while.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 01:37 

iskandar taib wrote:
AlBaron wrote:
Cobalt wrote:

Or get a Stiga Allround Classic or similar - I think it's about half the price. Or get three or four more M8s at the same price... :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 84830.html

(The price has gone up a buck since I got mine - and I bought a lot of them! :lol: Maybe I should revisit all those other much more expensive blades I've bought - a Darker, a Septear, three Yinhe Kiso 7s.. haven't touched them in a long while.)

Iskandar

YSE is actually only $30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 08:15 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
What thickness rubbers are they all? That could be part of the problem.

If the Use of not yours and you are considering buying one, I think the Yasaka Sweden Classic is worth looking at. Just a little slower and would help tame the Rakza. Forum member BRS uses one and is a very high level.

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 08:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Cobalt wrote:
What thickness rubbers are they all? That could be part of the problem.

If the Use of not yours and you are considering buying one, I think the Yasaka Sweden Classic is worth looking at. Just a little slower and would help tame the Rakza. Forum member BRS uses one and is a very high level.

I don't know about a very high level, I'm 1885 usatt at the moment. But I do love my sweden classics with 2 x t05, all six of them. (I feel like Iskandar saying that)

Every setup has pros and cons. I can't play away from the table with my ALL blade, but I don't want to be far back anyway, I don't move well enough for that. The slowness really helps me on serve, receive, loop consistency and blocking. I've tried a lot of more expensive "better" blades, and I don't play better with them. Going the other way, I've tried a lot of less expensive rubbers than tenergy, and I like the extra spin and bounciness I get from 05. I could play about the same with something else, but why should I?

There is no better or worse equipment, it all depends on you. That said, I think mark v is absolute garbage with no redeeming qualities, but most forummers love the stuff. I would suggest rozena, or baracuda, or vega euro, or hexer, all before mark v. But that is because they suit me better. For you they might be terrible.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 09:16 
Super User

I can vouch for the Yasaka Sweden Classic. Moderate to slow speed, soft feel with oodles of control. Cannot go wrong with this blade choice :up:

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 12:44 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
BRS, I live in country South Australia, which is one of the 7 states of Australia. Your level would make you one of, if not the best rural player in our state. We have a few around RC1300. They are stronger in Victoria but you would still be a very handy player at country level. There is always someone better to bring us down to earth, unless you are Ma Long that is, but don't sell yourself short.

In regards to rubbers, I wasn't impressed my Mark V either but I think I'm having a preference for softer rubbers. If you go to a tournament, there's a reason why most better players are using Euro tensors, they are better for that style of play. Those still using Chinese rubbers may boosting but are few and far between. Those that are able to properly loop and just use standard Chinese rubbers are pretty well non existent in my experience, or at least very rare. Others may argue against but this is my experience.

In summary, buy a Sweden Classic, put your Rakza 7 on it, learn to loop, practice, and climb the ranks.

PostPosted: 04 May 2018, 20:07 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
AlBaron wrote:

Red,
What would a good example of such " in between" blade?
Mark 5? Something else?

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed, I've thought of some rubber M5- or Sriver-alike first, then maybe followed by some tension-sponge version of a rubber.
The 729-topsheets elasticity is quite low, like the one of Yinhe 9000. The sponge is medium-hard, at least.
There are countless rubbers available that would suit and it's kind of hard to recommend a few that may turn out to be useless for you.

I started with Palio CJ8000 in autumn 2016 and I'm still keeping this type of rubber, due to the low price and the various versions available. Since I've had a CJ8000 way back in 2001/2002 (shy before the 13+- yrs time-out) I knew that the topsheet would be quite elastic, almost like the well known Euro/Japan rubbers available and at $6+- a sheet it was a no-brainer for me.

Over time I went from 36-38° 1.8mm up to 2.2mm 38-41° now and 40-42° on another setup, 4 different versions in total so far excluding the Biotech-experience. Since 2016 I've climbed 4 divisions; I just need to pass 2 more divisions on my way to reach national-level while using a (sub) $30-setup.
Coming from the 729 I would suggest to try 40-42° and 38-41° first, just to get a clue about the direction you need to go without spending much, not to primarily encourage the very rubber to you.