OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 14:58 

Blade: 729 C-5 FL
FH: 729 Super FX Max
BH: DHS H3 Neo 2.15
Recently I've been shopping for a Chinese Penhold Blade, as I am getting into RPB and have developed my technique enough to warrant a proper penhold blade. I've narrowed down (not really) my choices to these 4:
Yasaka Goiabao 5
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive (Called YEO?)
Stiga Offensive Classic
DHS Di-18 (Dipper 18)
I am a player who tends to back away from the table and move around a lot, jumping around to get a loop in, or just plainly for showmanship. I really admire CNT player Xu Xin's playstyle, and sometimes try to implement some of his style into my play. Close to the table, I like to make my opponent move around with fast, spinny, short-stroke rpb. I have relatively weak arms, so something light is preferable. I'm so sorry for such a vague question, but which of the given blades would you guys recommend? You aren't necessarily limited to those choices, so if you have something else in the around or below $50 that you prefer, feel free to say it. Also, are my rubber choices okay for my playstyle? I'm planning to have DHS Skyline TG3 on forehand, and DHS Hurricane 3 on backhand.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 15:55 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
YEO or Malin Soft Carbon

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 19:33 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I'd skip the stiga OC. I've never really liked them.

If your bat ends up too heavy investigate a japanese or german rubber for the rpb - double chinese rubbers will make most bats reasonably heavy.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 07:09 

Silver wrote:
I'd skip the stiga OC. I've never really liked them.

If your bat ends up too heavy investigate a japanese or german rubber for the rpb - double chinese rubbers will make most bats reasonably heavy.

Do you have any recommendations for Japanese/German rubbers thst wouldn't make a bat too heavy?

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 09:09 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Really, anything softer should be lighter. A cursory glance at the weight tables the newer german tensors are heavier than the earlier versions. Mark V and Sriver FX are fine, older tensors like Donic Acuda S3 or S2, softer chinese rubbers too. These should be up to 5g lighter than a sheet of H3.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 13:06 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
YEO should work. I have one but haven't played it much. I love xu xins stiga intensity but it's outside your price range.

For what it's worth YEO isnt great at away from table. Think ma lins game. Though probably more psychological for us amateurs.

I once weighed my tg2 and acuda s2 of same size and the tg2 was actually a bit lighter. I'm using hurricane 3 for rpb now and it's definitely more tolerant and spinnier than s2. Xu xin has a softer h3 neo for rpb to increase consistency. I think h3 neo is worth a try if blade isnt heavy

Or swap the tg3 and h3 on fh/bh depending on preferences...

Disclaimers: i use an anti on fh so its lighter than double inverted. And i tpb more than rpb

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 13:26 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

A simple set up to try, for close to the table play:
-Blade: YEO
-FH: one of the DHS rubbers you mentioned.
-BH: 729 Focus 3 snipe, or Bty Sriver EL, or even good old Mark V.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 14:30 

Ma_Xin wrote:
YEO should work. I have one but haven't played it much. I love xu xins stiga intensity but it's outside your price range.

For what it's worth YEO isnt great at away from table. Think ma lins game. Though probably more psychological for us amateurs.

I once weighed my tg2 and acuda s2 of same size and the tg2 was actually a bit lighter. I'm using hurricane 3 for rpb now and it's definitely more tolerant and spinnier than s2. Xu xin has a softer h3 neo for rpb to increase consistency. I think h3 neo is worth a try if blade isnt heavy

Or swap the tg3 and h3 on fh/bh depending on preferences...

Disclaimers: i use an anti on fh so its lighter than double inverted. And i tpb more than rpb

You mention that the YEO isn't great for away from the table... Would anything else on my list or another blade in the price range work, or is the YEO my best bet?

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 15:12 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are frequently stepping back and doing massive loop to loop rallies...

PostPosted: 07 May 2018, 01:19 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
Silver wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you are frequently stepping back and doing massive loop to loop rallies...

True.

At this price range, YEO is kinda a must-try.

A few more points about YEO:
* Composition of the 5 plies is the same as Intensity, which I believe is great for penhold
* It's a little harder than Intensity. It has a flatter trajectory and requires better technique, but also more deadly.
* Very good for RPB.

The Stiga OC is too slow for the new ball. I'm not familiar with the other 2 blades listed.

I forgot...another good blade is Hurricane 301, which has two arylate carbon layers. This (well, the more expensive 301N) is used by all CNT penhold guys now except XX. Basically like a Hurricane Long 5 but way cheaper, because it doesn't have a player repping it. I personally find arylate carbon a bit too hard, though. But the 301 is said to be very good.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694