OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 22:26 

Although I've been playing non-club TT on and off for around 40 years I'm only just considering a custom bat as my youngest son (18 years old) is close to beating me, so I need an advantage ;)

I've purchased a few ready made Stiga bats in the past and my favourite (and latest) was the Stiga 4 star Supreme. This has the following ratings:

Speed: 95/100; Spin: 86/100; Control: 47/100

I've had the bat for about 18 months and for the last 6 (at least) it appears to have lost all the characteristics I enjoyed when I first got it, which I assume is down to the rubber perishing. When first purchased I really enjoyed using it and felt able to put much more spin on the ball than with any previous bat I have owned.

I would class myself as an attacking player with a stronger forehand than backhand. My favourite shot is a topspin forehand and although I can perform the same backhand shot it isn't as consistent.

I suspect it isn't difficult to build a bat that is better than the Stiga Supreme, but would very much appreciate some advice on where to start. My budget is between £100 and £150. I like the idea of being able to change the rubbers when they are worn, without having to change the blade. Not being a club player makes it difficult for me to try different bats to get a feel for what suits me :(

PostPosted: 10 May 2018, 22:59 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Hi milleniumaire, you've come to the right place. Your budget is high although I'd say unnecessary. The general recommendation is to get a 5 ply all wood (no carbon) blade of between All and Off- speed and just some rubbers that aren't too fast. There are some good Chinese blades however given your budget of be getting a nice Euro blade.
Some suggestions from the major manufacturers are:-
Stiga Allround Evolution
Donic Appelgren Allplay
Yasaka Sweden Classic
Xiom Allround S
Andro Temper Tech All+
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha Off-

Just get the one you like the look of.

As far as rubbers go. You could pay for a Euro rubber like Yasaka mark V or Nittaku Magic Carbon however I think you would do just as well with Galaxy Mars II or LKT XP Pro. You could get max thickness in these rubbers.

I've played with Appelgren/ MarsII and Temper Tech/ XP Pro and they were both really nice but any combo would do just as well.

I'm assuming you are in UK so looking at Thornton's, you can get Appelgren plus LkT Rapid soft for about £55.

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 02:35 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Any combo Cobalt suggested will far outdo your Supreme.
Learn to change rubber yourself. Its easy with lots of vids and help on line. :)

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 05:07 

Hi Cobalt,

Thanks for the useful information you gave. I used that as the basis for reviewing some blades and rubbers and ended up purchasing the following:

Stiga Allround Evolution blade (£34.71 from Amazon.co.uk)
1 x black + 1 x red Yasaka mark V rubbers (£48 for the pair from ebay)

Because this is my first custom bat, I also purchased the following for assembly:

Xiom I-Sure blade protection sealer 25ml (£6.99 from Customtabletennis.co.uk)
Xiom I-Bond Glue 25ml (£6.99 from Customtabletennis.co.uk)
Olfa XA-1 X-Design auto lock cutting knife (£5.64 from FFX Tools)
A pair of rubber protectors.

I'm really please with the outcome and used it for the first time tonight and thrashed my son!!!!! It looks like I'm back to being The Master :D

I saw some "cheaper" Galaxy Mars II rubbers (on ebay or Amazon) for £10 each, so may purchase these and use them to replace the rubbers on my old Stiga Supreme (pre-assembled) bat just to keep my son happy!

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 08:37 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Well done, great choice. I had the Evolution and wish I'd never sold it. Tried to buy it back but got snubbed. You can get preassembled Galaxy 896 with Mars ii from AliExpress for about Aus 30. You just need to wait a few weeks for delivery.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 08:49 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
The rubbers on your old Stiga might not be easy to remove. Depends on what glue they used.

If difficult, tear off what you can and use the rubber pieces you tore off like sandpaper. Have to rub hard but most of the time it will remove the chunks of sponge and old glue without hurting the blade.

Have fun! :)

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 03:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Try a rubber block pencil eraser. (I'll betcha someone's going to read this and go at it with the eraser at the end of a pencil... :lol: )

Iskandar