OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 22:46 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
When watching the World teams, there were player profiles shown on screen but didn't show the equipment they use. They never do but I wonder why not. Surely it would help to sell more equipment. We in here speculate but why not just tell us? The officials know, the other players know as they get to inspect but the fans are kept in the dark. I don't see the point.

Darts do it to a point. They have age, country and darts but only the brand and the weight, not the exact model. They too could go a little further.

The only thing I think of is that when players change their equipment, the broadcaster may not be able to keep up then could get in trouble for showing wrong information. Would have thought sponsors would be in favour.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 May 2018, 22:56 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Cobalt wrote:
When watching the World teams, there were player profiles shown on screen but didn't show the equipment they use. They never do but I wonder why not. Surely it would help to sell more equipment. We in here speculate but why not just tell us? The officials know, the other players know as they get to inspect but the fans are kept in the dark. I don't see the point.

Darts do it to a point. They have age, country and darts but only the brand and the weight, not the exact model. They too could go a little further.

The only thing I think of is that when players change their equipment, the broadcaster may not be able to keep up then could get in trouble for showing wrong information. Would have thought sponsors would be in favour.

I was wondering about that myself: in golf I remember reading a regular column at Golf Digest or some other publication that was called "Winner's Bag" or similar, which would list all 14 clubs (and ball) used by the winner of the recent PGA Tour event, down to exact shaft they used on their driver, angles of the wedges etc. You could see that lot of players had a 'mix-and-match' approach: driver/irons from this brand, wedges from another, and putter from a totally different one. Somehow sponsors did not mind...

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 01:10 
Super User

With table tennis being very much an equipment based sport, I've wondered this myself too. As you say, it would likely give the equipment top pros use (or at least 'endorse' ;) ) a bump in sales. Not everyone is the type to search it online. However, for those that do, you may not always find what you're looking for (like Ma Te's equipment...). It feels like everything is under a curtain in table tennis. I don't like it. It could really do with some more effort put into it being a more open (and better) spectator rather than player based sport in my opinion.

In tennis, while pro equipment isn't detailed during matches either, name a player and you can find their exact setup (info gathered from pro stringers and those who've landed themselves pro rackets). You can even find what strings and tension ranges they use etc.

The equipment tennis pros use is rarely what they 'endorse' though (and is often highly customized versions of what's available to public as well), so even if they stated the equipment table tennis pros use before a match, it might not actually be what they use. Ma Long for example uses DHS Hurricane 3 Neo on his forehand supposedly, but the blue sponge underneath isn't commercially available (a lot of fakes out there for sale, though some perhaps are genuine).

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 02:57 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
I agree that they should be mentionned but the pro used often special equipment made for them. Their rubber, blade are often not on the market. Now how ittf qualified their equipment specially rubber as they list the approve rubber. If some change their carateristics how. It can be under witch rubber ? In stock car they just mention the overall car. Like toyota, ford, chevrolet. It can be not exactly the specific rubber or bladed but we can have a general description of the bladde.this way we understand better his style his strategy etc.

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 07:39 
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
There are also allegations that pro players use blades that suit them - whatever brand, but put the handle of one of their sponsor's blades to make it look like they are using their sponsor's equipment.

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 07:41 

Oh and by the way we also need to know which booster they use ;)

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 16:38 
I am Legend
I am Legend

probably something to do with the commercial rights/sponsors/etc... I can't think of any sports other than the example given that does it? (excluding motorsports)

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 19:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Nothing is secret nowdays ...

http://tabletennis-reference.com

Be happy

PostPosted: 12 May 2018, 20:17 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
In Boxing Match style,

Ladie~s, and, Gentlemen,

From the blue corner,
wielding Timo Boll Spirit + Tenergy 05 2.1 mm both sides
TIMO~ BO~LL!!!

And from the red corner,
wielding Viscaria + Tenergy 05 2.1 mm FH and Tenergy 05 1.9 mm BH
DIMA~ OVTCHARO~V!!!

Lets get ready to PADDLE~!!!

[And The Donic Reps Walk Out Fuming]

I am wanna see something like this. Obvious problem with sponsorship. :P

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 13 May 2018, 06:42 

From what BeGo wrote:
In Boxing Match style,

Ladie~s, and, Gentlemen,

Quote:
From the blue corner,
wielding Timo Boll Spirit + Tenergy 05 2.1 mm both sides

The Timo Boll Spirit coming in at 92 grams, having had the shoulders sanded down by 1- 2 mm from stock, with resonant frequency of 102.7 kiloHertz.
Both rubbers coming from the core of the batch, weighing in at 92 grams each, definitely on the heavy side.
The bandanna is of pure cotton, hand dyed, and shoes are Lezoline Rifones.
Quote:
TIMO~ BO~LL!!!

And from the red corner,
wielding Viscaria + Tenergy 05 2.1 mm FH and Tenergy 05 1.9 mm BH

The Viscaria being a classic model no longer available retail coming in at 90 grams, no mods, with resonant frequency of exactly 100 kiloHertz.
The 2.1 rubber coming in at 92 grams and the 1.9 rubber coming in at 85 grams, so no surprises there.
Quote:
DIMA~ OVTCHARO~V!!!

Lets get ready to PADDLE~!!!

[And The Donic Reps Walk Out Fuming]

I am wanna see something like this. Obvious problem with sponsorship. :P

Note that the info added I have just made up.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 18:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Cobalt wrote:

I'm thinking it might be embarrassing because a player sponsored by, say, Andro might be playing with Tenergy 05, as 80-90% of top players do.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 19:20 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
The rubber should be disclosed for every match played in a tournament for each player.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 20:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

DO ASK FROM A WOMAN.

Just make friends with someone associate to the rubber testing Team. A good many female umpires are now engaged in the racket Control working personnel. Thus could you know the whole truth about actual players' equipment.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 02:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LOOPOVER wrote:
The rubber should be disclosed for every match played in a tournament for each player.

Just curious about why you think this should be the case. It is disclosed to the opponent, of course, and they keep records in Racket Control (and it has to be checked it off against the LARC), but why would the public need to know? I mean, it IS fun to pore over this stuff, of course, but then..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2018, 03:56 

It would certainly be nice to know, from a knowledge standpoint. I am not sure my technique would get the most out of a pro set up, but it would be interesting to know.