OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 20:32 

Blade: Sanwei Fextra
FH: Sanwei Target
BH: Sanwei T88
Hi

Am more of a defensive block/chop recreation player... play maybe 2-3 times a week for half to one hour.
Have always used premade rackets: GKI Dragon, Kungfu and now OffensiveXX (GKI is a very popular brand in India).

I am happier with the KungFu handle (compared to Offensive).

Started playing more often since last few months and so thought of getting myself a better racket. Did a lot of browsing on the net (including this forum) and decided on an assembled racket from Aliexpress: Sanwei M8 + 729 General rubbers.

I found that much lighter, slower, and with vibration... something quite different from what I used to, and could not continue with it. (Fortunately found a younger player who wanted to buy it off me).

Wish to move onto a higher grade racket... on a string budget from Aliexpress :)

I need your opinion on these 2 blade/rubber combos:
1. Yinhe 896 + Mars II
2. Yinhe 9s + Mercury II

I would like the racket to have maximum control, and deliver spinny serves. I don't see myself hitting hard.

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 23:02 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'd be happy to use option 1. I've used Mars ii and have seen that combo advertised and it really interested me. We are different styles and standards though.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 01:37 

Should the fact that we are different styles, standards worry me (that these options may not work for me)... :?:

Or, these are fairly versatile, should work for many styles, and perhaps I should not over-think? :D

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 21:00 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Depends how good you are. If recreational as you say it shouldn't make a difference. If a high level player then it might. Don't over think it, you'll get used to both and h they won't make a difference to your win/loss ratio. Both decent enough.

PostPosted: 20 May 2018, 21:55 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Either of the ones you suggest will be a good choice, and a sensible step up for a recreational player. If you are specifically focused on control strokes (you mention block/chop), you may also want to look at the N9s with 9000 rubbers. They are a bit slower than Mars/Mercury, and I believe they also reduce vibrations a little better (which you mentioned as an issue). The 9000 rubbers are not totally dead, so any countering/attack stroke is still possible, just requires a bit more effort. Possibly not noticeable until you advance a level or three ;-)

Also note that the KungFu handle (and also the Dragon) looks a bit closer to conical shape. Most chinese blades, including the M8, N9s and 896, come with "flared" handle similar to the OffensiveXX (judging from pictures on the web - I cannot recall trying any of the GKI bats myself). Conical and straight handles (which I prefer) are rare. You should be able to convert flared to conical by using a hand plane (or knife) and sandpaper. Use masking tape over the handle lens so you don't roughen the lens surface.

PostPosted: 21 May 2018, 00:29 

Thanks Cobalt and keme.

Yes, I do feel sometimes I'm overthinking this... and maybe should play more during that time :D

I have searched for straight handles on Indian websites and AliE... they are rare, and pricier.

Another option I have considered is to replace the rubbers of the KungFu blade. However, I have never done this (peeling or gluing rubbers), and not sure what rubbers to choose for the KungFu blade (perhaps the same options as now, as budget would decide to an extent).

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 03:49 

Didn't get myself to purchasing yet, as the handle shape is dwelling on my mind...

With some search, have yet another short list of blades... based on amount of flare visible on pics online, and reviews online.
Palio TS3
Palio King Yue
Palio KA
Palio C86

Blades with ST handle (available on AliE) are
Yinhe 980
729 W1
Sanwei Defence
Sword 309 Chop

Would then need a rubber to match... should be less tacky, not slow (and cheap).
Considering Sanwei T88 Ultraspin, Yinhe Mercury II...
Too many Palio CJ8000 to choose from.

Which combo for max control without losing speed?

All suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2018, 03:02 

Finally decided on Yinhe 980 with Mercury II on both sides.
It arrived yesterday.

Feels very different from what I have been using... will take time to get used to it.
Hollow sound in some areas... can't predict where my return will land... most seem to balloon upward.
And visible spin seems less compared to my previous.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)