OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 15:35 

Blade: 729 C-5 FL
FH: 729 Super FX Max
BH: DHS H3 Neo 2.15
Okay, so I am going to put a bunch of different posts into one because I don’t feel like posting a ton. To start things off, let me just say one thing: I hate RPB. If at all possible, I avoid it. I am also a fan of short pips (think Tasaki Toshio). I am wondering what the most spin resistant, classic hitting pip is. I am not a looper, I just want something I can really drive the ball with, and execute great TPB punches and Kim Taek-Soo-esque backhand fast drives. I have heard recommendations for numerous pips: TSP Spectol/Spinpips, 729 802, etc..., but I would like to get some of your guys’ opinions on the subject.

Secondly, I would like to get some possible information on a blade nobody seems to be talking about. It’s called the DHS Wind Series W3020, and it is the penhold variant of the W3010. It seems to regularly be the cheapest option for penhold blades on many websites, but there are never countless reviews for it. It is a five-ply all-wood blade rated as All+, and All++ by DHS. Would it be good for a short pip hitting style game? If any of you have information on it please let me know.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 18:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Maybe one that's been around a long time? Like Spectol? Or one of the older DHS or 729 offerings? Remember that pips out penhold hitting was THE Chinese style until maybe the late 1970s..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 03:05 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Perhaps Spectol red or blue may work for you as you do not want to create a lot of spin.

Spinlord Keiler is an interesting option as it is fast and quite dangerous, excellent for blocks but not too sensitive to spin. Waran although good for hitting is quite spin sensitive.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 08:41 

iskandar taib wrote:
Maybe one that's been around a long time? Like Spectol? Or one of the older DHS or 729 offerings? Remember that pips out penhold hitting was THE Chinese style until maybe the late 1970s..

Iskandar

I am wondering if OX might be the way to go for hitting. I’ve heard of people saying that no sponge is better for consistent predictable hits. What do you think?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 09:56 

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: RITC 802-1 OX
BH: Spinlab Vortex 0.5mm
I'm playing with OX right now and it is very easy to drive the ball. Especially against backspin, and especially on serve return.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 10:22 

conradyoung wrote:
I'm playing with OX right now and it is very easy to drive the ball. Especially against backspin, and especially on serve return.

What is your favorite OX pip for driving the ball? Also, what blade are you using?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 20:49 
Super User

Hi, not familiar with the w3020 but DHS has a tendency to wildly overestimate their blade ratings, the DHS PG9 has a rating of off+ but is actually quite slow and flexible, acoustic frequency barely crosses 1200 putting it at all+ at best (IMO). For short pips on the cheap get yourself a Galaxy N9, thick hardwood core 5-ply actually faster than the stiga clipper. You won't have much fun with a DHS all-round blade and hitting.

As a philosophical suggestion, I think single side pips attackers would benefit more from a spinny pip than the classical spectol styles. Without a repertoire of topspin drives and opening loops you are really giving up on attacking initiative. Personally I wouldn't accept anything with less spin than 802. If you are just starting 802 would be a perfect introduction, cheap, decent spin, decent speed, very versatile and you can choose your direction from there.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!