OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 23:29 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
The very fact that you either visit or are a member of this forum suggests you are interested in more than simply playing table tennis, be that tips on how to play, source for watching videos, general chat or choosing equipment. That in turn suggests the results of my question are skewed because people who visit here are more likely to think about what equipment they use than your average club or basement player.

With that in mind,

1. How much thought do you put in to choosing your table tennis equipment and
2. What sources do you use
3. What information is it that you like to seek out that helps you choose your equipment
4. What information is no use to you

Thank you

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 05:07 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
I find videos of players that I want to play like. If it seems practical then I use their same or similar equipment.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 07:19 
I am Legend
I am Legend

1. Lots. Find a class of blades, find a class of rubbers, pick one then consider how it works with the rubber, etc
2. Google
3. experienced reviews particularly neutral/negative.
4. anecdotes. gotta vet reviews.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 10:25 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
Online reviews have been reliable overall, but a realistic self assessment of what features of the equipment are most important to ME, is telling in how well it'll work. Because of this, copying famous players I see is not the best approach, but it can be like e.g. "I hit more than him, so I need a faster LP"

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 10:34 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

A fair bit usually, but I am prone to an impulse buy for "Shiggles"

Generally If I read reviews and the rubber reviews read like how I "like" - it intrigues me, so I google and read as much info as I can find within my short attention span.

Then i'll ask a few mates at the club/other players (Silver cops it)

Then I'll usually buy it even if people tell me not to :rofl:

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 11:14 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
I tend to look at the reviews posted by some of the more senior members here, ie Haggisv, leatherback etc. Especially when their reviews match my experiences with the same rubber or LP. Some members submit really comprehensive reviews here but because of the inherent variables of player, blade, playing style, manufacturer's quality control etc I have had some very different experiences. I also enjoy watching the videos from Croudy at Geoblock TT and Alexei at TT Maximum unfortunately they make pretty much every rubber or blade look good :clap:

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 11:33 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I generally look at the online reviews and take a sample of the good-bad and then try to make an assessment based on my findings. Something in the realm of is there more bad or good reviews on an item. I will spend a month of irregular reading on equipment, although this is really only for rubbers. Blades i'm happy with ALC and/or 7-ply wood blades. It's what I've always used in my time playing so I don't wander far there at all.

I feel that I generally know what will work for me through experience (sponge hardness and thickness for example) so with that and the reviews people make I can purchase. I will test it if I can but generally ive only been disappointing in one rubber that I've purchased using this method.

I also disregard some reviews based on language, if a person cant quantify their statements its a bogus review.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 13:38 
I am Legend
I am Legend

SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
A fair bit usually, but I am prone to an impulse buy for "Shiggles"

Generally If I read reviews and the rubber reviews read like how I "like" - it intrigues me, so I google and read as much info as I can find within my short attention span.

Then i'll ask a few mates at the club/other players (Silver cops it)

Then I'll usually buy it even if people tell me not to :rofl:

I don't want to venture into the realm of your weird stuff :P

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018, 15:13 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I am following a rule which is applicable in our daily life.

To be successful, go for one change at a time. For example, if you are eyeing to work in another company, do it if the position or work requirement is the same with your current one. This will ensure success. You may opt for 2 to 3 changes at a time, but the probability of failure becomes higher.

I apply that principle to my table tennis set-up. If ever I will choose a new set-up, I may replace only one rubber maintaining my other rubber and blade. This will not entail a lot of adjustment, but only to the affected rubber. If I make a major blade replacement, I will keep my current set of rubbers.

But that is just me. Sometimes the ghost of EJ hunts me and I forgot about life principle :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 19:22 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
1. Too much thinking ... makes me not buy stuff

2. I use TTStore.us site where they have this Flash-based ratings, refer to the TTDB.com, lookup stuff on TTD.com, OOAK reviews, TT11.com reviews, sometimes just general googling about player equipment and players' personal reviews and not necessarily World Ranked players.

3. My preferences tend towards All-Round, Off- blades, lightweight, somewhat OverSize, harder outer-ply, softer-core, outer-composite ( carbon or non-wood layer closer to top-ply or in the top-ply ) , more flex, bigger sweet-spot, springy, etc.
And similarly I go for soft, mid-hard, medium-low throw, all-round rubbers. Tacky/Non-tacky doesn't affect me as much as I think it does. Mostly I prefer 729 rubber or Yasaka rubber. Still hate DHS or Palio though right now I am using those.

4. Blade thickness, sound of ball bouncing on the blade, logos , blade speed ratings, is it being used by Top-100 player?, etc.
Indication of gears for rubbers, hardness ratings, manufacturer rating for speed/spin/control, tackiness, grippy descriptions, etc.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2018, 19:35 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
1. How much thought do you put in to choosing your table tennis equipment:

Too much probably. But lately I've been much better at sticking to one main set up.

2. What sources do you use:

Forums mostly (this one in particular) and then I'll google around a bit seeking out reviews.

3. What information is it that you like to seek out that helps you choose your equipment:

I try to pick out common traits between rubbers I tend to like (harder sponges, tacky topsheets, soft pips, etc.) so I narrow the field a bit. I then look for people who have a reliable track record of liking things I tend to like. I'll give these people's reviews more weight.

One way I like to do this is to go back (after having purchased and used the rubber) and reread a few of the more notable reviews. If I still agree with the description of the characteristics and performance of the rubber, I know we have a similar perspective and will be likely to agree with each other on future rubbers.

4. What information is no use to you

If the reviewer seems biased or inexperienced in his or her assessment of the rubber, I tend to disregard it.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!