OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Is this legal?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 20:32 
Super User

Hi,

I'm a penhold pips out player. While I infrequently use RPB, I have always attached a full sheet of rubber on the back. In order to save some weight and focus more of traditional backhands is having a bi-colored backside with color sheet and top part sponge (for comfort) legal? Please refer to picture attached.

Attachments:
File comment: Sponge cover
Screenshot_20180628-190039-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20180628-190039-01.jpeg [ 215.71 KiB | Viewed 1434 times ]

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Is this legal?
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 20:34 
Super User

BTW I copied the shape from cork portions of Jpen blades, considering cork was never an issue should I anticipate any judgement for this mod?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 21:40 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new, but if I have read the T4 Racket Coverings document on the ITTF website, you would unfortunately contravene a number of rules:

Quote:
Definitions
“ITTF logo” (Regulation 3.2.1.3) is to be used on all authorised racket coverings, and within a frame
for new and changed racket coverings. Ref. C. and D.4. below.
“ITTF number” (Regulation 3.2.1.3) is the unique identification for new racket coverings

I didn't see either of these on your image ?

Quote:
5. The racket covering
The rubber surface of the racket coverings should be uniform and without coating.
The appearance of the racket covering on the blade must be uniform in colour; it is not permitted for
markings on the sponge or the blade to show through.

its not uniform or uniform in colouring ?

Quote:
5 Changes in racket coverings
The ITTF authorisation applies to a racket covering as originally submitted and tested; its subsequent
alteration, by a supplier, a player or anyone else, is not permitted (Law 2.4.7).

I guess you did alter it :lol:

Then there is the T9: Racket Control document...
Quote:
Surface Regularity – The racket covering must be flat, continuous, and have a regular
appearance such as in texture and color.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 21:54 
Super User

Hi Medax,

Thanks for the very detailed reply!

Considering Yoshida Kaii puts a large sheet of extra sponge on his black side, would mine be very different?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 22:01 
Super User

BTW this is meant for single-sided penhold, don't intend to hit with it lol.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2018, 23:53 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

I think you're good to go and play, as long as the rubber you use is red. Rubber requirement is only for sides used to strike the ball.
Technical Leaflet T4: Racket Coverings wrote:
“Ordinary pimpled rubber” (Law 2.4.3.1) and “Sandwich rubber” (Law 2.4.3.2) can both be
referred to as “Racket coverings”; the rubber, with or without a sponge underneath, used to strike a
ball
[...]
A thin layer of paint or plastic laminate is permitted on an uncovered non-striking side of the blade, for
the purpose of having a proper red or black side.

So technically, that black sheet needs to be either plastic laminate or paint. You don't specify the type of material you have, and I'm not sure whether other types of covering sheet would be disallowed in practice, on any tournament level. As I see it, you are at least within the intentions of the rule, which should suffice in most contexts.
ITTF Handbook 2018 wrote:
2.4.3 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm.
[...]
2.4.4 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material.
[...]
2.4.6 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, bright red on one side and black on the other.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 11:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes I agree, it should be fine, especially since some penhold blades are manufactured just like this, with cork and black paint, as you mentioned.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 12:55 
Super User

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 14:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NOT FOR STRIKING THE BALL ...

Since the black rubber avoiding of any identifying markings, you may not use this black racket side in play.. Sorry.

Yet, there is no objection for this sponge extra-layer to stand there , as it is shown on the picture. Not for striking the ball.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 15:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
lasta wrote:
BTW this is meant for single-sided penhold, don't intend to hit with it lol.