OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 15:01 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Long 5
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Xiom Vega Europe
I got back into table tennis about 6 months ago after nearly 20 years of absence. I had played for about one year when I was in Grade 7, and since then I have not really touched the sport.

I immediately got hooked up again and I feel like currently I'm in that phase of "wanting to try out all sorts of new blade and rubbers". I'm doing my best to not do that as it can get quite expensive. I have been playing with Andro Treiber Z + R47 (FH) 2.0mm + R42 (BH) 2.0mm during the last several months and have been quite pleased with it. However, with my birthday coming up, I decided to buy myself a new set up which is as stated in my title.

I was expecting this new set up to be noticeably faster and spinnier (at least on my FH considering it's max thickness T05) than my previous setup. However, I have played for about 2 hours so far and my initial impression is that this isn't the case (speed and spin are about the same). I probably need more time to really tell but I do feel slightly disappointed because I've done quite a bit of research prior to getting the new setup. The new set up is also noticeably heavier too. Another thing I noticed was that the sound it makes when I hit the ball (both FH and BH) is very dull compared to my old setup, which doesn't feel as satisfying. This may be due to thicker rubber.

I was hoping if anyone with more experiences can chime in to see if I should in fact be experiencing this, or perhaps I may have messed up when glueing the rubber or got a bad batch of rubbers/blade. Appreciate your opinions.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2018, 17:01 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Could be a number of things however since I'm assuming that you are a developing player, I'm not surprised you haven't noticed a lot of difference. Upon having a quick look, the two set-ups aren't miles apart.

If you got yourself an Appelgren Allplay with 2 x LKT XP pro on it you would see a big contrast in speed. Still nice to use but yours would be much faster, however since your two setups are already at the higher end of the speed scale you may not really notice a couple of fractions here and there.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 04:35 
Super User

vik2000 wrote:
I got back into table tennis about 6 months ago after nearly 20 years of absence. I had played for about one year when I was in Grade 7, and since then I have not really touched the sport.

I immediately got hooked up again and I feel like currently I'm in that phase of "wanting to try out all sorts of new blade and rubbers". I'm doing my best to not do that as it can get quite expensive. I have been playing with Andro Treiber Z + R47 (FH) 2.0mm + R42 (BH) 2.0mm during the last several months and have been quite pleased with it. However, with my birthday coming up, I decided to buy myself a new set up which is as stated in my title.

I was expecting this new set up to be noticeably faster and spinnier (at least on my FH considering it's max thickness T05) than my previous setup. However, I have played for about 2 hours so far and my initial impression is that this isn't the case (speed and spin are about the same). I probably need more time to really tell but I do feel slightly disappointed because I've done quite a bit of research prior to getting the new setup. The new set up is also noticeably heavier too. Another thing I noticed was that the sound it makes when I hit the ball (both FH and BH) is very dull compared to my old setup, which doesn't feel as satisfying. This may be due to thicker rubber.

I was hoping if anyone with more experiences can chime in to see if I should in fact be experiencing this, or perhaps I may have messed up when glueing the rubber or got a bad batch of rubbers/blade. Appreciate your opinions.

If there anything wrong with the setup itself, its probably the glueing...

Playing with this setup may require some technique adjustments... 2 hours is too soon to dismiss a new setup... Give it some more time... If anyone else uses a similar setup @ your club, then ask them to play with yours, and get their take on it.

The long 5 blade, typically weights more than 92gms, and it's a known fact that the T05 is a heavy rubber...

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 04:37 
Super User

vik2000 wrote:

If there anything wrong with the setup itself, its probably the glueing...

Playing with this setup may require some technique adjustments... 2 hours is too soon to dismiss a new setup... Give it some more time... If anyone else uses a similar setup @ your club, then ask them to play with yours, and get their take on it.

The long 5 blade, typically weights more than 92gms, and it's a known fact that the T05 is a heavy rubber...

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 09:33 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Cobalt wrote:
Could be a number of things however since I'm assuming that you are a developing player, I'm not surprised you haven't noticed a lot of difference. Upon having a quick look, the two set-ups aren't miles apart.

If you got yourself an Appelgren Allplay with 2 x LKT XP pro on it you would see a big contrast in speed. Still nice to use but yours would be much faster, however since your two setups are already at the higher end of the speed scale you may not really notice a couple of fractions here and there.

+1 on this - your new setup is not THAT different, so I would not expect to see that much difference in speed, and spin comes mostly from technique, so there is that. Given your cumulative TT experience, I suspect you need to work on your technique.

As far as sound - again, I would not pay too much attention to that (rubbers/blades are somewhat different and softer rubbers will sound louder, I think). If you glued it yourself, then may be it's a bad glue job, but if it was done for you, then it's probably how it sounds in general. IMHO, sound does not really matter, it's more about putting ball on the table one more time than your opponent.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 18:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you're worried about bad glue jobs get a can of Elmer's and forget the water based stuff. I never had trouble with rubber cement in the old days, but water based glues drove me up the wall when I got back into table tennis. And really, no one is going to test your equipment for VOCs.. not until you get really good and start playing in international tournaments, anyway.

Iskandar