OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 11:10 

Blade: Yinhe 982
FH: Yinhe Moon H (Black)
BH: None
So. Table tennis took off in our school about 2 years ago when we got a table. Since then it's mostly me and a few classmates left playing. We are using my rackets to play which are: Atemi 900 and Cornilleau Nexeo X90. Atemi is a light racket with a lot of grip and not so bouncy rubber. While the Cornilleau is heavy, has a lot of grip and rubber is super bouncy (Because it has no sponge). My main problem when playing Cornilleau is that when you receive a harder than average shot and you don't stand back the ball is guarantied to fly too far. That is a strategy used against me. I sometimes use it when friends play Cornilleau. So anticipating the next school year I removed the back (I don't know what it's called properly) rubber and I want to replace it with something to receive a sudden hard and spinning shot while not stepping back from the table.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 11:47 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Spookex wrote:
So. Table tennis took off in our school about 2 years ago when we got a table. Since then it's mostly me and a few classmates left playing. We are using my rackets to play which are: Atemi 900 and Cornilleau Nexeo X90. Atemi is a light racket with a lot of grip and not so bouncy rubber. While the Cornilleau is heavy, has a lot of grip and rubber is super bouncy (Because it has no sponge). My main problem when playing Cornilleau is that when you receive a harder than average shot and you don't stand back the ball is guarantied to fly too far. That is a strategy used against me. I sometimes use it when friends play Cornilleau. So anticipating the next school year I removed the back (I don't know what it's called properly) rubber and I want to replace it with something to receive a sudden hard and spinning shot while not stepping back from the table.

Umm, that Cornilleau thing is an outdoor racket, which I suspect not a lot of people here are familiar with and likely no one would have any idea what to do with. It is most likely illegal for TT competitions, since blade is plastic/carbon, which probably explains why it's so fast. Not sure if you can put anything on it to make it decent, perhaps some really slow rubber... Are you guys playing outdoors?

Atemi is a more conventional premade (wooden blade, some almost dead rubbers), IIRC, so what stops you from using it? Looks like it won't have this 'ball flying off' problem.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 12:00 

pgpg wrote:
Spookex wrote:

Umm, that Cornilleau thing is an outdoor racket, which I suspect not a lot of people here are familiar with and likely no one would have any idea what to do with. It is most likely illegal for TT competitions, since blade is plastic/carbon, which probably explains why it's so fast. Not sure if you can put anything on it to make it decent, perhaps some really slow rubber... Are you guys playing outdoors?

Atemi is a more conventional premade (wooden blade, some almost dead rubbers), IIRC, so what stops you from using it? Looks like it won't have this 'ball flying off' problem.

We are playing indoors and the reason for not using Atemi is because we play by looser switches out rule. I'm not concerned about the racket meeting TT rules because we play in between classes and using a very short game format (first to 6)

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 12:01 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Hi Spookex,

Welcome to OOAK forum. There is a new to the forum topic around somewhere where you could introduce yourself.

It sounds as if you are a relatively new player. It also sounds like you have only what is described as "pre-made" rackets, though the fact that you could get the rubber off one side of one of them is unusual as they are usually put together with an almost permanent glue rather than either specific table tennis glues or contact cement that is used by most players.

What you describe happens to a lot of people. They have a particular problem and immediately look for an equipment solution.

Instead I (and many here) would recommend getting reasonable separate blade (Sanwei M8?) & normal spinny rubbers, get used to them, try different things against the shots that give you trouble (racket angle, standing further back from the table, not letting the opposition be in a position to play such shots etc), and getting coaching. Or could you put the original rubber back on the back hand and do the above?

If you were to go down the equipment route to "fix" your back hand, then you would be after rubber that is either long pimples or anti spin. Both of these types of rubbers would make it less likely that the ball would fly too far, but have their own downsides - mostly that you can't put much if any of your own spin on the ball, and you can get pinned down on the (I assume) back hand by players who know what they are doing.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 12:15 

Retriever wrote:
Hi Spookex,

Welcome to OOAK forum. There is a new to the forum topic around somewhere where you could introduce yourself.

It sounds as if you are a relatively new player. It also sounds like you have only what is described as "pre-made" rackets, though the fact that you could get the rubber off one side of one of them is unusual as they are usually put together with an almost permanent glue rather than either specific table tennis glues or contact cement that is used by most players.

What you describe happens to a lot of people. They have a particular problem and immediately look for an equipment solution.

Instead I (and many here) would recommend getting reasonable separate blade (Sanwei M8?) & normal spinny rubbers, get used to them, try different things against the shots that give you trouble (racket angle, standing further back from the table, not letting the opposition be in a position to play such shots etc), and getting coaching. Or could you put the original rubber back on the back hand and do the above?

If you were to go down the equipment route to "fix" your back hand, then you would be after rubber that is either long pimples or anti spin. Both of these types of rubbers would make it less likely that the ball would fly too far, but have their own downsides - mostly that you can't put much if any of your own spin on the ball, and you can get pinned down on the (I assume) back hand by players who know what they are doing.

The original rubber is destroyed and it took a lot of work with a scraper and sandpaper. I'm basing it on equipment because if I play using the Atemi I can receive and return them quite well. I don't want to build a racket because I don't know where to get the awesome Michelin rubber. I will look into anti-spins but I'm kinda sad because my one of my favorite things is to flick with the back hand.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 17:19 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
If I were you I'd be getting the cheapest playable premade bat there is. In the environment you speak, its likely to get treated a bit rough. Go onto Ali Express and buy a Galaxy 01b premade bat. It will be 10 times better than anything you would buy at a sports store and half the price. It looks like they tend to slap some random rubbers on a cheap blade. Worst you can get is 9000 rubbers which are good anyway but if lucky you might score some Big Dipper like in the picture which on its own costs nearly double the price of the whole racket on its own.

If you are looking at getting a replacement rubber then you also need table tennis glue pushing the price up to that of the complete bat. If you really do want a replacement rubber then just buy the cheapest thing you can from 729, Galaxy or Reaktor (Corbor). Anything else could be really dodgy.

If you do however get the above premade bat, I warn you that everyone will want to be using the 'Good Bat'.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 21:16 

Cobalt wrote:
If I were you I'd be getting the cheapest playable premade bat there is. In the environment you speak, its likely to get treated a bit rough. Go onto Ali Express and buy a Galaxy 01b premade bat. It will be 10 times better than anything you would buy at a sports store and half the price. It looks like they tend to slap some random rubbers on a cheap blade. Worst you can get is 9000 rubbers which are good anyway but if lucky you might score some Big Dipper like in the picture which on its own costs nearly double the price of the whole racket on its own.

If you are looking at getting a replacement rubber then you also need table tennis glue pushing the price up to that of the complete bat. If you really do want a replacement rubber then just buy the cheapest thing you can from 729, Galaxy or Reaktor (Corbor). Anything else could be really dodgy.

If you do however get the above premade bat, I warn you that everyone will want to be using the 'Good Bat'.

Got one of the friends that I play with to order 2. That leaves me with the choice of rubber. The glue here is quite cheap (7 euros). What is your opinion on this: https://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.ph ... cts_id=287 ?

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 22:57 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Although I have fitted new rubbers to good quality premades with decent results, I would think changing rubbers on that blade with unknown results could be waste of time and money.

Better at this stage to get a couple more good quality premades such as an M8 with rubbers fitted.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2018, 09:55 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

I'd strongly suggest you stay away from anti spin. Table tennis is an attacking game and against your mate you will have more fun doing smashes and spinny shots than just looking the ball around which is what anti soon is designed for. You should be trying to play with not spin, not less. Don't buy it.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2018, 17:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, the Galaxy 01b or Sanwei M8 would be excellent, far better than anything at Walmart. No point in changing the rubber, it's already excellent. Actually, if I were you I'd buy four of the things.. after you start beating your friends they will want one as well and you can sell the others at a nice profit.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 13:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
If you're in Europe, I'd recommend getting some of the decent 'made-up' bats from Japsko:

http://www.japsko.se/en/rackets/442-jap ... super.html

Less than €30, and good enough up to a very decent level. Very good quality, and will come in a couple of days, whereas something from Aliexpress will be cheaper, you'll be lucky to get it this side of Christmas... (it'll take several weeks at least).

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 16:57 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Depends on the postage. I've waited nearly two months with regular China Post. Last time I got free shipping with Epacket and it took 7 working days to Australia. Ali
Express standard shipping I'd in the middle.

I've noticed some places offer free Epacket whereas some charge $2. I'll be paying the extra in future if given the choice. No guarentee it will be as quick next time though.