OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2018, 05:41 

Hi all.

I’m new to the forum and have only been playing table tennis properly for a few months. I love it!!

My dad used to play in a local league, and found out his old bat which he handed to me a few weeks back. It has Yasaka Mark V rubber that has sadly gone brittle, and I emailed Yasaka to ask more about the bat itself.

They have replied saying: “This bat was made in Sweden with Yasaka Mark V rubbers. The blade is Kjell Johansson Stiga Allround blade, and the handle is ”conic” shape”.

Does anybody have any further information. Is it a good bat?

Also, I’ve been watching a number of restoration videos and have managed to get the old rubbers off after several hours of painful (and careful!) picking!

I have also purchased two Yasaka Mark V 1.8mm rubbers to fully restore the bat, and wondered if it will be decent or if nostalgia is just playing a part.

We believe the bat was made circa 1974 as that is the date on my dad’s case and he only ever used it to hold this bat.

Any info, advice and further detail would be greatly appreciated. I have preferred some glue and Yasaka side tape too.

Last edited by Matchstickgeezer on 08 Sep 2018, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2018, 05:53 

Ive started the restoration... picking at first...

This took ages on the first side as the rubber is 44 years old!

Eventually I got the top layer off. Messy!

Next I tried to get as much of the lower doinge off as possible without damaging the bat. This was hard!

And

Eventually after about 4 hours over two days I gave in and handed the bat to my dad who managed to get the rest of the rubber off with solvent. I am now waiting for the glue as I have the rubbers (1.8mm black and red) ready to use.

Do you think it seems okay so far? The bat itself seems as good as new in terms of stufyness despite its age!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 07:19 

Looks good. Blades last years and years if taken care of. But 4 hours... must have been a lot of work. After applying the new rubbers you'll have a high quality beginners bat. :up:

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 08:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great job cleaning it, that's really hard work, I know! :( :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018, 10:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You can still get Mark V, too... Do use the proper glue to attach the rubber - either the newfangled water-based stuff or (I recommend) Elmer's (or Best Test, if you can get it) Rubber Cement. DON'T use any other stronger contact cements. You might want to consider varnishing the blade, too, before you apply the new rubber. Just a light coat of oil-based polyurethane varnish applied with a paper towel, wipe off the excess and allow to dry overnight. This will prevent fibers from getting ripped off the surface when you replace the rubber (usually every six months or so). This is assuming it isn't already varnished - bats from that era were heavily varnished, especially around the handle. I think I still see Kjell Johansson's face on the handle.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 05:31 

Thanks all. It’s super clean now ready for rubbers. I took advice on glue and am awaiting its delivery. The rubber is here waiting!

I think it has already been sealed / heavily varnished.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 18:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I just noticed on the original picture, the text on the rubber appears to say "back side"? Is that right? I wonder why?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 22:18 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

"Backside" referred to which way the pimples ran - diagonally or vertically. I forget which one was backside. (I think around that time Sriver used 'S' and 'L' on the rubber to indicate which way the pips ran)

Those blades before Stiga differentiated between defensive, all-round and offensive were beautiful. The OP should check if his blade has a hair-line fracture near where the handle meets the bat proper. Such a fracture was very common with those Stigas.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2018, 00:54 

Update: I’ve been waiting 3 weeks due to a delay with the glue, but the tape and the rubber glue is finally on its way.

The bat had no hairline cracks that I can see. It was well looked after thankfully even though the rubber went off.

Been seeing the blades on eBay for £70+ from this era which has surprised me. I need to keep it super safe now!!

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2018, 12:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Don't know if this is the reason (all the photos seem to be broken now), but if you check the LARC there actually IS a rubber called "Backside", sold by Andro (03-106). :lol: (In case someone doesn't get it.. the term "backside" is a term used in certain parts of the world to refer to someone's kiester.. :lol: )

Iskandar