OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 04:03 

Hello.

After reading several threads here and elsewhere I'm considering the following blades (from tabletennis11, fwiw):

* Stiga Allround Classic
* Donic Appelgren Allplay
* Andro Super Core Cell All+

The Andro in particular has a Product Description that sounds pretty ideal to me:

Quote:
The basic idea for this blade’s construction was finding a perfect mix of comfortable playing, low mistake level and top technique. Playing the CELL ALL+ every stroke gives the impression of having hit the ball just perfectly in the centre of the blade. The inner veneers are thinner than in the ALL version which results in a very soft feeling. The CELL ALL+ adds more continuity to the play and transmits a feeling of perfect control. The high ball flying curve forgives a lot of easy mistakes.

Is that description accurate? Is the Andro any better at those qualities than the Stiga or Donic?

My friends and I are active back-patio players, competitive amongst ourselves - but there's no league or anything, and we're certainly beginners in any real sense despite a fair amount of casual play, and thusfar we've been playing on super cheap Stiga premade setups available from the local sporting goods store. But the other day another friend came by with an even nicer pre-made Stiga that retails for almost $70 US, and everyone of us played demonstrably better with that upgrade. I immediately noticed more control and better spin, and that's what sent me looking for a nicer setup...

In any case, while I don't want to literally waste money or get the wrong thing, it doesn't matter if this new setup costs me $30 or $90, as long as it's quality and offers the correct attributes for a player such as myself. I want Quality, Control, Spin, and Power, in that order, I think...

As for Rubber, I've read numerous suggestions to stick to 1.8 so that's fine, and I understand that the Yasaka Mark V is well loved (albeit old technology). Is there demonstrably better rubber for players such as myself?. I like the idea of using a different Rubber on each side, perhaps one for Serving and one for everything else. Is that a smart / beneficial choice?

We're still using Celluloid balls, mostly the Orange ones available locally, fwiw.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 05:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't think the Andro will be any better for you than the other two, they just pay better writers. Any of those three blades will be fine.

Mark V would work, but so would much cheaper rubbers.

If you are in the US, there is a guy named Cole Ely, colestt.com who sells good rubbers (and also blades) for players like you. Another good source for low priced, very good rubber would be zeropong.com.

Gambler reflectoid is one that sounds like a good fit for you and a bit less expensive than Mark V. Or one of the 729 rubbers, or if you want to splurge, Hurricane 3-50 at $18.50 per sheet.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 05:29 
Super User

I agree with everything BRS said.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 05:40 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
BRS wrote:
I don't think the Andro will be any better for you than the other two, they just pay better writers. Any of those three blades will be fine.

Mark V would work, but so would much cheaper rubbers.

If you are in the US, there is a guy named Cole Ely, colestt.com who sells good rubbers (and also blades) for players like you. Another good source for low priced, very good rubber would be zeropong.com.

Gambler reflectoid is one that sounds like a good fit for you and a bit less expensive than Mark V. Or one of the 729 rubbers, or if you want to splurge, Hurricane 3-50 at $18.50 per sheet.

+1, especially on the 'better writers' part :). You can get a very decent setup from colestt/zeropong for much less than that 70$ Stiga Premade goes for.

Also, if you ever want to get more serious - try finding a club or may be some better players nearby. You get better with stronger competition.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 09:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Buy one of these. You'll be surprised. :lol:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 74001.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2018, 16:17 
Super User

A cheap chinese blade (Like the one recommended by Iskander ) + Cheap Chinese Rubber like LKT Pro XP