OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 00:47 

Blade: Yasaka Synergy
FH: Dany III JUIC
BH: Stag Explosive
Hi!

Equipment:
Blade - Yasaka Synergy
Forehand/Backhand - Dany III JUIC
Serve - Stag Explosive

I have been playing Seemiller grip for a couple years now. It just suits my play style. I like to have sticky rubber for good top spin shots and accuracy, on both my forehand and backhand. Then I like to have a fast rubber for my serves to have good side spin and back spin.

However lately I have been having a really hard time playing against choppers. I play very aggressive and I end up placing a lot of balls into the net or playing too passive and floating them over to have them spike it on me. I would love to get two new rubbers since mine are getting pretty old now, 10 years :o . I would like to stick with something that is like my forehand/backhand now. But the other side I would like something that can kill the backspin of a chopper, so I can have a good controlled shot back.

If someone could help me out with suggestions, I would really appreciate it. There are so many rubbers out there and I am not sure what I am even looking at to be honest. I created the paddle on a whim a long time with no knowledge and it ended up just working.

Thanks!
Ryan

Last edited by xxsobesxx on 26 Oct 2018, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 00:50 
Super User

(In case you didn't know, it's Seemiller, named after Danny Seemiller.)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 00:52 

Miss type :) I am actually in Pittsburgh where he started.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 00:53 
Super User

Oh, very interesting.
Someone close to me adopted this grip naturally, and since she can play either rubber on the backhand side, I never tried to "correct" her.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:10 

This grip came to be because of the paddle I built above. I wasnt able to smash my backhand with the explosive rubber, so I adapted to hitting both sides with the JUIC rubber. I actually didnt know this was a known grip until I started play at a local table tennis club here in the last year or so.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Danny uses anti on the reverse side. So did Eric Boggan, his main rival during his prime (who also played with the same grip). I'm not familiar with either of the rubbers you use so I don't really know what they're like, but it does seem a shame to use inverted sandwich on both sides, especially if you're good at twiddling. If you had Anti you could do Danny's trick of forcing the other player back from the table and then doing a very, very short drop shot that bounces 3-4 times. Should work well against choppers, assuming you can loop/drive hard enough to force them a few feet back.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:26 

I just started looking into Anti spin while I was waiting some input. I have pretty good loop force but my issue is after so many shots there is so much spin I place it into the net. I think you are right swapping to an anti spin side to kill the ball would be an easy way to help with that issue. I am going to do some more research on anti spin to see which one would suit me.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 01:44 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I play Seemiller grip. The main advantage of the grip is having the option of hitting with grippy rubber on the backhand OR using anti for blocking or hitting backspin balls and serve return. Learn to hit with the inverted on the backhand. I can hit almost as hard on the backhand as the forhand. Learn to twiddle. Learn to HIT chop balls with the anti. When you hit a chop ball with anti, their backspin turns into topspin. The anti does not make spin, you are using their spin.

If you think, "But I cant do that." you just limit yourself mentally. Get some SLOW anti and practice! You can practice twiddling while watching TV. Try Super Anti with MAX sponge. Max sponge actually is slower than thin sponge. Just bump those chop balls back with anti. Run those choppers ragged in and out. If the chop ball is high enough, just smash it with anti. I suggest starting with slippery, non grippy anti. :devil:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 02:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Unfortunately the old Sriver Killer is no longer available.. :lol: Back when it WAS available several other companies made anti which would have presumably been similar. Then Super Anti came along - this was somewhat less dead than Sriver Killer so you could attack with it. I think they stopped making Sriver Killer because everyone migrated over to Super Anti and they couldn't sell much of it any more.

By the way, 10 years is a LONG time for rubbers - are you sure you're not playing with "Anti" now? If so, switching to a new sheet might prove quite a surprise.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 04:24 

I do have one more question.

Looking for a new forehand rubber and I am having some issues. So the Dany III I am using is kind of soft rubber. I was looking at Donic Acuda S1 and Tenergy 05 and I can't tell if these are harder rubbers or soft rubbers. The Dany III says for "aggressive play" on it. I am looking for the same play style as the Dany III and I am not sure what type of rubber I am looking for. The explosive I have on the other side is very plasticy looking. Almost a clear red and I cant play that side worth my life. Can you guys also help in pointing me in a direction for a rubber like the Dany III? Here is the stats I found online: https://revspin.net/rubber/juic-dany-iii.html.

I think I am going to go with the Sriver FX. Seems to be kind of what I am looking for.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2018, 07:00 

I consider Dany 111 a waste of time for an aggressive game.
Sriver FX is a much better choice. It is a favorite backhand rubber for high level Chinese players. Powerful looping rubber that works well for blocking also. Very spinny. Would be 3 levels up from Dany 111. I have used it for the forhand.

It will be very different from Dany111. Will take some practice from you but can improve your game greatly. As usual, get coaching for fastest results. :)

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2018, 00:05 

Sweet. I feel like its going to take me a couple of weeks to get used to both of the new rubbers. Thanks everyone for all the help. Been having a blast going through and reading all the post on this forum. Great community. Thanks all!

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 04:53 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
hookshot wrote:
I consider Dany 111 a waste of time for an aggressive game.
Sriver FX is a much better choice. It is a favorite backhand rubber for high level Chinese players. Powerful looping rubber that works well for blocking also. Very spinny. Would be 3 levels up from Dany 111. I have used it for the forhand.

It will be very different from Dany111. Will take some practice from you but can improve your game greatly. As usual, get coaching for fastest results. :)

I'm surprised either rubber has any grip left after 10 years. Dany III is pretty basic as rubber goes, so most things are going to be an upgrade of speed and spin.

If you decide on anti, Butterfly Super Anti is a good starting place, as is Juic Neo Anti (slightly more grip and less reversal). There are so many anti sheet available now, it's unreal.

If you decide on sticky, maybe Juic 999 Attack, or a regular Hurricane 3. There are even more sticky sheets available than anti.

What ever you choose if you have difficulty at first, don't fall into the trap of ordering something else, just give it some time and practice with the new setup.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 11:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Probably best not to get one of the newfangled zero friction antis for now - they supposedly don't last very long.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 12:45 

Super Anti is low friction and just gets better with time. :)