OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Cream Transcend hardness
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2018, 21:16 

Blade: Waldner Allplay
FH: Coppa standard 2mm
BH: MarkV standard 2mm
I've been playing with Donic Waldner Allplay + Yasaka Mk 5 1.8 FH/1.5 BH for quite a while now and want to try a true looping setup now since the current one is not fast and spinny enough for my improved strokes now.

Gonna try Galaxy 896 or Galaxy W6 + Cream Transcend 2.0 both sides and wondering which hardness I should get for each side. 2.0 comes in 40 and 42 deg (Friendship scale). Better to take the harder 42 on FH and 40 on BH, or 40 both sides? And for starting out, would the 896 or W6 be better?

Thanks in advance.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 01:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Given what it costs - get one of each, mount one on each side and then you can decide what's best... If you decide you want one hardness on both sides it's then a simple matter of ordering one more sheet. (My guess... you'll be hard pressed to even tell the difference.. :lol: )

Why 2.0? Unless you're a blocker or chopper I'd go for the Max sponge. It's not 1998, people are complaining about the plastic ball as it is, we're no longer using the 38mm ball.

Also instead of the W6 or 896 I'd suggest the Sanwei M8. I've played with all three, and like the M8 the best. The W6 I thought was a little slowish plus it was too heavy, the 896 had an unpleasant feel due to its vibrations.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 01460.html

(Wait a few days and save 47 cents.. 11.11 is coming! :lol: )

Heck.. given what all of these blades cost.. get ALL of them and try them out, like I did.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 01:15 

Blade: Waldner Allplay
FH: Coppa standard 2mm
BH: MarkV standard 2mm
iskandar taib wrote:
Given what it costs - get one of each, mount one on each side and then you can decide what's best... If you decide you want one hardness on both sides it's then a simple matter of ordering one more sheet. (My guess... you'll be hard pressed to even tell the difference.. :lol: )

Why 2.0? Unless you're a blocker or chopper I'd go for the Max sponge. It's not 1998, people are complaining about the plastic ball as it is, we're no longer using the 38mm ball.

Also instead of the W6 or 896 I'd suggest the Sanwei M8. I've played with all three, and like the M8 the best. The W6 I thought was a little slowish plus it was too heavy, the 896 had an unpleasant feel due to its vibrations.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 01460.html

(Wait a few days and save 47 cents.. 11.11 is coming! :lol: )

Heck.. given what all of these blades cost.. get ALL of them and try them out, like I did.. :lol:

Iskandar

I don't really have money to throw around just like that, so I just wanna buy one setup and experiment. If it doesn't suit I can get something else after I saved a while.

I want 2.0 because that's already a big step up from 1.8 FH and especially 1.5 BH. More speed but not too much you know. Then in a few months perhaps I can go for 2.2/max if I get used to 2.0.

Sanwei M8 is a good ALL/ALL+ speed blade (I tried it with Mk V at my club, they have it as a club blade) but I would really like a true looping OFF- range blade which I hear the 896 and W6 are. 896 has bad vibrations, but W6 doesn't, no? W6 is basically better quality 896.

So yeah idk if 40 or 42 Friendship hardness matters much on this rubber but I'm still wondering what other people think who use this rubber.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 01:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I wouldn't say the W6 is a "better 896". A N11 would be a "better 896". The W6 is thinner, heavier and slower than either, the M8 is slower than the N11 (which I think is a little bit too fast, to be honest) but faster than a W6. Or at least I can generate more speed with it (the W6 is quite a bit heavier).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 17262.html

You can get a sheet of 729 Cream Transcend here for $9.33. Wait a few days (until the 11/11 sale) and it'll be $9.11 a sheet, including shipping. That's about a third of what a cheaper Tensor would cost. So experimenting a little isn't going to break the bank. Yeah, I'm sure 2.0 sponge would work OK, but your fears that the 2.2 would be too fast are, I think, unfounded - ever since the ball size increased to 40mm even $5 beginner rubbers (which, by the way, should play about as well as the Transcend Cream) are ONLY available in 2.2mm sponge. (Cream Transcend is one of the few that is even available with thinner sponges.) The 2.2 will give you more spin and speed and you won't suffer in the short game unless you get some super fast blade.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 09:28 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually.. looking at that Eacheng item on AliExpress.. there's a 45 degree sponge as well... :lol:

Unfortunately the 2.2 is only available in 45.

By the way, 42 is the usual hardness for "training rubber", 40 would be softer, 45 would be fairly hard stuff.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2018, 11:33 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I'd suggest go for 40deg, that's going to be closer in hardness compared to your Mark V.