OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 10:47 

Dear all,

I’ve been playing jpen (Nittaku AP + T64) for several years and I am trying to make a move to cpen.

I’d like to ask for some recommendations regarding equipment - after some research, I am think about going for YEO+Rozena on both sides. I’d like to go for a tpb push + rpb/fh loop game close/mid distance from table.

Any suggestions from the experts?

Also, should I worry about potential wrist/elbow/shoulder pain?

Tks!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 13:30 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
I would advise going with same rubber T64 for now at least. And use only one side for starter too. After you complete your migration of changing jpen to cpen and be at ease then try adding the bh rubber and start learning rpb.

This would ease up on the challenge of changing different blade, and also the change of weight, thus safer on your concern regarding physical problems.

instagram: rokphishtt

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 21:22 
Super User

I also suggest keeping the T64, atleast for the RPB. Reverse penhold has very limited motion, so T64 or other speed oriented low-throw rubbers is more suited to a flip/punch game on the backhand (full swing loops are not very effective for RPB). If you want to try something new, Xiom Vega Asia (not the DF which is too soft) is a good match, stlightly harder sponge, but still soft topsheet, a little more direct feeling but otherwise similar to T64. Forehand you can experiement, but FYI I didn't like Rozena after trying, very suceptible to moisture and a notable speed downgrade from T64.

For the blade YEO is good, but very different from your (I assume Hinoki). Crisper, but slightly hollow feel, no where near as "dense" as a thick hinoki. If your current game is well-rounded enough not to change too much, maybe a hinoki CPen is better.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2018, 21:25 
Super User

Regarding elbow pain, yes during the beginning, but fades with regular practice. Trying to keep the elbow down helps. Watch the weight of the total setup, mine is 180g at the moment which I find slightly heavy (a bit too much wobble post-contact) but still acceptable. Try to find a blade with a thicker and more rounded handle, fills the cavity and more stable for RPB. Thin handles amplify the wobble effect and makes the whole thing feel head heavy.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2018, 09:21 

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

Would Rozena somehow be a replacement for T64? T64 is so expensive and buying two sheets would be a mess.

Any suggestions on the Butterfly Hadraw VR CS?

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2018, 06:37 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
I’ve been using Yasaka Rakza 7 in 1.8mm for RPB on a yasaka sweden Classic and I feel that it is very controlled and fast when I need it to be. I’m upgrading to 2.0 after Christmas (on Nittaku Acoustic). It’s an easy rubber to loop and hit flat with.

I’ve also used Yinhe Mercury II on N3 and N9 blades and felt extremely controlled and spin oriented. A bit harder for blocking, but Bh flips are extremely spiny and easy to execute.

In the end, for my aggressive style, I’ll keep training with the Rakza 7.

Good luck on your transition! Let us know how it is coming along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 01:22 

Thank you all!

I ended up trying the YEO+Rozena on both sides due to budget constraints and had my first practice yesterday.

I definitely felt the weight difference (~180g) compared to my previous jpen and throw & speed difference vs T64.

The swing for RPB felt somehow similar to TPB when driving, but I could include much more speed given that I was less limited in racket angle. I also started to feel my shoulder after two hours of practice, then I found a more comfortable grip that reduced the pain.

It is very difficult to angle to make flat RPB shots, but I will rely on TPB for that.

So far the experience has been good!

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2019, 08:58 

Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao II
FH: DHS Hurricane III NEO Pro
BH: Nittaku FastArc-G1
My grip is a bit higher on the handle and I use flat three fingers on the backhand side which allows me the wrist rotation for flat hitting with ease.

I've now switched over to the Nittaku Acoustic with the Rakza 7 in 2.0 and it's a really fast combination! I'm able to achieve pretty "archy" loops with this set up.
Next time, I'll try Nittaku G1 on the BH. It should be a bit slower and maybe even spinnier.

Let's see...

Keep us updated on your transition!