OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: DefPlay and Dtecs
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 04:15 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Japsican wrote:
Chopper88 wrote:
So I try the combo last night with DTecs .5mm , it was nice , chops are low and fast , I can why you guys said it’s has a faster sponge , but in some pushes I pop the ball up , can’t figure why?? FH I can loop all day, need to try again , overall I like the DTecs

It pops up for the same reason OX does. Less grip! More grip means more throw angle, which keeps the ball low. Just like pushing with inverted...

that's why slippery pips and OX pips tend to be harder at the table for me, because it makes the horizontal push (inverted style push) harder to do because you have to meet the ball with a more vertical face and push downward. Less margin for error and your timing has to be more precise. It's this reason alone I go back and forth between P-1R and Dornenglanz.

Stick with one and adjust technique 8) . Mastering something has its own advantages and contributes to overall satisfaction.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 04:51 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
pgpg wrote:
Stick with one and correct technique 8) . Mastering something has its own advantages and contributes to overall satisfaction.

Here.. updated for you. This is IMHO of course but I am now a strong believer that technique doesn't need to change much when you go from rubber to rubber assuming the same rubber type LP to LP, not LP to Anti. Joo himself said in an interview he used to switch between P1r and Dtecs on game day (crazy right?) depending on the table used. This is similar to how you would play with some Tenergy and then switch to Rasanter and believe me the looping technique should be 99% the same. I also recently read about Marcus Freitas (not a chopper but world class) who used to switch constantly between T05 and MXP depending on the rubber batches he would get (he always looked for the hardest sponge)

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 05:09 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
notfound123 wrote:
pgpg wrote:
Stick with one and correct technique 8) . Mastering something has its own advantages and contributes to overall satisfaction.

Here.. updated for you. This is IMHO of course but I am now a strong believer that technique doesn't need to change much when you go from rubber to rubber assuming the same rubber type LP to LP, not LP to Anti. Joo himself said in an interview he used to switch between P1r and Dtecs on game day (crazy right?) depending on the table used. This is similar to how you would play with some Tenergy and then switch to Rasanter and believe me the looping technique should be 99% the same. I also recently read about Marcus Freitas (not a chopper but world class) who used to switch constantly between T05 and MXP depending on the rubber batches he would get (he always looked for the hardest sponge)

That's probably semantics, but I also observe that I can't switch from 1mm P4 on VKMO to OX Dtecs on Defplay (or vice versa) and do as well. I guess Joo can, so props to him :clap: .

Perhaps chopping differences are smaller (?), close to the table feels very different. I don't know...

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 05:19 
Super User

pgpg wrote:
notfound123 wrote:
pgpg wrote:

That's probably semantics, but I also observe that I can't switch from 1mm P4 on VKMO to OX Dtecs on Defplay (or vice versa) and do as well. I guess Joo can, so props to him :clap: .

Perhaps chopping differences are smaller (?), close to the table feels very different. I don't know...

Ox and 1mm are two different beasts... no question about it. Joo didn't go from 1.5 down to OX. I was talking more of say P1R 1mm vs Joola Octopus 1mm vs another LP 1mm. You wouldn't push any different with say Octopus 1.0 than you do with Dtecs 0.9. YMMV but that's been my observation.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2019, 22:19 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
The other constant that I'm guessing is the blade. I would think Joo would have the same blade regardless of rubber, which would also help to transition from one to the other.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 12:55 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
The other constant that I'm guessing is the blade. I would think Joo would have the same blade regardless of rubber, which would also help to transition from one to the other.

agreed , I’m just not sold on the DefPlay , it was great when I 1st started using LP, nowadays it’s the FH that wins my points, the Joo give me that , so back to the Joo with Dtecs

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 01:40 
Super User

Had another night with the DefPlay combo, it’s just to slow and the FH just doesn’t have enough, I have two joo blades one being like 92-93 grams which is slower and lighter then my regular joo, I put the rubbers on that and I’m like wow , the FH is great , and .9mm on that was great , LP is fast and low on all chops , can believe that a bit slower same blade made that much different

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 12:36 
Super User

As someone was saying above... stick with your normal blade .. this is the best way to evaluate a brand new LP rubber since you only have 1 variable not 2.

Just curious, assuming you are familiar with P1r 0.5 on the Joo... can you do some comparison in terms of spin, speed, grip, etc.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 15:02 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Chopper88 wrote:
Had another night with the DefPlay combo, it’s just to slow and the FH just doesn’t have enough.

I have also returned to Defplay now and then, but it's FH way too slow for me. Same fate with other slower def blades that I have...

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2019, 12:39 
Super User

notfound123 wrote:
As someone was saying above... stick with your normal blade .. this is the best way to evaluate a brand new LP rubber since you only have 1 variable not 2.

Just curious, assuming you are familiar with P1r 0.5 on the Joo... can you do some comparison in terms of spin, speed, grip, etc.

Well been using that setup for about 3-4 years, I still think it gets the best underspin for chopping away from the table , speed is faster then most but slower than Dtecs, the grip is nice when it’s new, it hits well in .5 mm , but chops great in 1mm , so depending on how big the playing area , I switch between the two.