OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 05:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 10:45 

Blade: Toni Hold White Spot
FH: Rakza 7, 2.0mm
BH: Mark V, 2.0mm
With this season over for me, I have decided to downgrade my equipment for the summer and focus on improving the basic techniques, as well as my overall playing style.

To give some context, I'm like so many others: played as a kid. Quit. Came back after 20 years to 11 point games, no speed glue, and a jumbo sized plastic ball. I'm 37 now and have been playing for 3-4 years. This year I've played 3-4 times a week, but without a trainer. I finished this season on a 1800 rating (starting around 1620 I believe). I am in very good shape, but small in stature (think speed, not power). I am a 2-winged looper, that was advised to buy Innerforce ZLC and put max Tenergy 05 on it when I got back into the game. Bad advice I realize now. Since then I've been EJ'ing like crazy, but always staying in the top range of speed. In the middle of this season, I even changed to short pips in the BH on a 2.0mm sponge (surprisingly it did not cost me any rating). I still consider this my main setup.

My FH is good. It really is what carries me. It's 80-90% of my game, and I loop on most anything that won't bounce twice on my side, and I will happily turn the corner on my backhand side to loop from there as well. I consider my FH loop a better player than I am.

My BH not so. It needs work. "From the ground up" kind of work. It's not that I don't know the basics, but I do not have confidence in it, and that's a problem. This is the first thing I want to change.

Second. I want to slow down my game and be more in control instead of trying to finish on 3rd or 5th ball. I enjoy actually playing, and the whole strategics around the game, so why try to end every point so quickly? This is the second thing I want to change.

I have looked mainly at two players for inspiration: Kong Linghui and Satoshi Aida. I won't ever be as defensive as Satoshi Aida, but I find his style very interesting, and it drove the point home for me, that there is an alternative to the always attacking playing style that is so predominant these days.

For a training session I glued a Fastarc G-1 and a Mark V on a Stiga Allround Classic. The Fastarc did not work for me (too soft and not enough grip), so that will be changed. But the Mark V did wonders for my BH game. I felt confident in my swings and my technique felt as if it was correcting itself. Also, I enjoyed using my BH again!

So, finally, here is the plan for equipment: Remove the Fastarc, and put either Rakza 7 2.0mm for the FH (Mark V remains the BH rubber), or go a bit more extreme and put my sheet of 729 Super FX for the BH and let Mark V go to the FH. I know that Mark V + 729 will be a pain to play with for me, but maybe it is worth it? I feel having Rakza 7 in the FH defeats the purpose a bit since it's what I normally play with on FH (albeit max, not 2.0mm, and on Avalox p700, not Stiga Allround Classic). Maybe I should go back to tacky Chinese with something like Globe G666? ... The EJ'ing is strong with me :-) ... but I am genuinely interested in what you consider "equipment that promotes good technique" but isn't (only) for complete beginners.

I am curious about feedback. Both about my thoughts and the approach. I am also curious if anyone has had a similar experience, and how it played out. Anything to add? Am I stupid, and should I just march on with my Avalox p700 + Rakza 7 + RITC 802 setup?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 13:47 
Super User

Casperin wrote:
To give some context, I'm like so many others: played as a kid. Quit. Came back after 20 years to 11 point games, no speed glue, and a jumbo sized plastic ball.

hey.... same here ... I played juniors, and then almost stopped, for around 22 years ... came back to the game (by which, I mean, regularly) towards the end of 2017 ...No proper trainer (not yet)

Casperin wrote:
My BH not so. It needs work. "From the ground up" kind of work. It's not that I don't know the basics, but I do not have confidence in it, and that's a problem. This is the first thing I want to change.

I have a similar issue, but with my FH...I play with Long pips on my BH, but, I'm more confident of twiddling, and playing an offensive BH shot, with the inverted side, as compared to do so on my FH..

Casperin wrote:
I am genuinely interested in what you consider "equipment that promotes good technique" but isn't (only) for complete beginners.

For this, I believe that a tacky Chinese rubber is the way to go... I've attempted to explain the logic/reasoning for the same, in another thread, a while back, which, coincidently, was brought back to life, just yesterday... Here's the link to it .. http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33342

I quite like The DHS Hurricane Neo 3, and played with for a while, until a tennis elbow forced me to start playing with a lighter setup

Setup 4 : XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon Blade 729 Focus III Snipe 40° Max (Black) Reactor Corbor (Red)
Setup 5 : Butterfly Joyner-H Blade (Black Metal Tag) Palio AK-47 Yellow Max (Black) Yasaka Mark V Max (Red)

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2019, 19:20 

ootbs wrote:
I have a similar issue, but with my FH...I play with Long pips on my BH, but, I'm more confident of twiddling, and playing an offensive BH shot, with the inverted side, as compared to do so on my FH..

You actually play "better" (more "correct") with your BH, but play LP? That's interesting. Maybe you should have a look at Satoshi Aida then :P
ootbs wrote:
For this, I believe that a tacky Chinese rubber is the way to go... I've attempted to explain the logic/reasoning for the same, in another thread, a while back, which, coincidently, was brought back to life, just yesterday... Here's the link to it .. http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33342

I quite like The DHS Hurricane Neo 3, and played with for a while, until a tennis elbow forced me to start playing with a lighter setup

Do you mean for the FH? Because in that case I agree. I played with Neo 3 myself in the FH for a while, and it did wonders for my FH technique.

For the BH, now that I've slept on it, I feel convinced that what I need for improving technique is something toned down in both spin and speed, but with good control and consistency. With too much of either, a lot of fine tuning of each stroke will be needed, when instead I should just get into a habit of performing the correct strokes, and build up confidence that they will work and win me points. I feel more and more confident that good old Mark V is a good option on that front.

That said, there is a big difference between Neo 3 and 729 Super FX, and it's hard to generalize over them. I agree Super FX is good for building technique, but not so for Neo 3 (for the BH).

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2019, 03:07 
Super User

Casperin wrote:
You actually play "better" (more "correct") with your BH, but play LP? That's interesting. Maybe you should have a look at Satoshi Aida then :P

Oh, I didn't switch to LP, due to a weak BH... I played double-inverted up until almost a year back... I've always been more conident of my BH, with pushes, blocks, and attacks... I switched to LP, primarily due to the tennis elbow..

Yep, I've seen a clip or 2 of Satoshi Aida's game .... I'm not even a tenth of how good he is ... He's a double-inverted chopper... I play a mixed-style (At the table blocker and/or chop mid-distance, from the table) LP player... I use the LP, mostly on my BH (I'm learning to use it on my FH, nowadays), but I twiddle, and attack/push/jab with the double-inverted ... I do attack from the FH side too, but am more confident doing so from my BH...

Casperin wrote:
Do you mean for the FH? Because in that case I agree. I played with Neo 3 myself in the FH for a while, and it did wonders for my FH technique.

I did buy it with intention of playing it on my FH, but after a bit, I felt, it was better-suited for my BH...

Casperin wrote:
For the BH, now that I've slept on it, I feel convinced that what I need for improving technique is something toned down in both spin and speed, but with good control and consistency. With too much of either, a lot of fine tuning of each stroke will be needed, when instead I should just get into a habit of performing the correct strokes, and build up confidence that they will work and win me points. I feel more and more confident that good old Mark V is a good option on that front.

That said, there is a big difference between Neo 3 and 729 Super FX, and it's hard to generalize over them. I agree Super FX is good for building technique, but not so for Neo 3 (for the BH).

Sure... the Super-FX is a classic Chinese tacky rubber...

Setup 4 : XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon Blade 729 Focus III Snipe 40° Max (Black) Reactor Corbor (Red)
Setup 5 : Butterfly Joyner-H Blade (Black Metal Tag) Palio AK-47 Yellow Max (Black) Yasaka Mark V Max (Red)

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019, 06:53 

Been playing 3-4 sessions like this, and I think I may just continue to do it forever. I'm in love with it.

My win/loss ratio is about the same, maybe a bit more losses now, but I put that off to being used to pips in the bh and now playing with Mark V.

What I hoped would happen happened. I play a much more rounded game, where the ball stays in play for longer. I used to see very few mistakes from my opponent (because I'd finish the ball quickly), but now, not only are they coming out, I am also being more and more active in forcing them. Like, it actually matters if they are bh or fh dominant players, because I need to approach them differently. Placement is key.

One thing that I didn't foresee, is that I no longer blame my racket for anything. I thought I'd get annoyed with its slow speed; but instead I feel my shots are so consistent and that whenever I do miss a shot, it is because I didn't perform the stroke correctly. I missed the shot, not the racket.

Another thing is speed. I used to not give much thought to how to hit the ball harder. This is now a thing. Something I have to consider and train. Passive blocks get me killed quickly--they *must* be active. They *must* be placed back where they are uncomfortable. A hard loop has to be hard--like, "hit it as hard as I can" hard; and I have to look into if I can learn to start the loop from further back, to get that extra swing (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF5jfr-SLMA). And can I learn to twist the wrist at the moment of impact, to gain that extra spin?

Speaking of spin. Two out of the five people I've played with has said that I play with much more spin. Sure, I use a tacky rubber on the fh, but even my bh serves are getting comments. It's simply because of the slower racket. It allows me to really go for the spinny shots.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!