OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 15:36 
Super User

igorponger wrote:

Some supplemental coloration to make your life a joyment endless. As proposed by EQ ITTF.
The SkyBlue is my choice of preference, it makes me feel like being on Seventh Heaven, indeed....

I would be fun, but would be a complete cluster f**k ... Imagine - a LP or anti player, using black and blue, or orange and red... Then there'll be the added question (perhaps @ low-mid level tournaments, only) - Is this colour legal ? ...to the already existing question - Is this rubber legal ?

Also, would it affect the manufacturing process significantly ?

I'd rather have ITTF bring back frictionless rubbers, than introduce these new colours, which serve no real purpose, apart from aesthetics ... My logic - If a Tenergy 05 rubbers gives X player, the added advantage of speed,rotation, and kick, against a player using, say a Mark V, why should I be denied the advantage of, say a Superblock, against a player using a T05 ...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 18:05 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Everyone knows pink tenergy is better than green tenergy.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 20:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
ziv wrote:
Did they give any justification of why more variety in rubber colors is needed?

THis was the official proposal and reason:

Proposition6 (3/4majority required) Proposed by HKG, ITTF member association, and the ITTF Equipment Committee.

To amend Law 2.4.6 so to permit more bright colours than red for racket coverings.

2.4.6 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, bright red on one side and black on the other black on one side, and of a bright colour clearly distinguishable from black and from the colours of the ball as defined in Law 2.3.3, on the other.

The implementation date shall be after the next Olympic Games. If the AGM accepts the proposition, the Equipment Committee will coordinate efforts in order to develop a list of authorised colours, with their specific technical limits. The specifications will then be submitted to the BoD in 2020, for implementation in 2021 (Regulations for International Competitions and Technical Leaflet).

Rationale:
As long as the colours of the two sides of a racket are clearly different and clearly distinguishable by the players, they should not be limited to black and red. However, the ball should remain visible on a racket covering. It is proposed to retain black as one of the colours as it helps players with deficiency in colour vision.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 20:56 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
ootbs wrote:
I would be fun, but would be a complete cluster f**k ... Imagine - a LP or anti player, using black and blue, or orange and red...

Has to be BLACK and something under new proposal.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 22:48 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
haggisv wrote:
ziv wrote:
Did they give any justification of why more variety in rubber colors is needed?

Rationale:
As long as the colours of the two sides of a racket are clearly different and clearly distinguishable by the players, they should not be limited to black and red. However, the ball should remain visible on a racket covering. It is proposed to retain black as one of the colours as it helps players with deficiency in colour vision.

Thanks, haggisv, but I don't see how this explains why red color isn't enough, and why "they should not be limited to black and red"...

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 23:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

ziv wrote:
Thanks, haggisv, but I don't see how this explains why red color isn't enough, and why "they should not be limited to black and red"...

Yes I agree with you. Just because it's possible, does not mean it's a good idea. Why fix things that aren't broken???

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 23:38 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
ITTF President interviewed by TTD Dan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5LNQrGRABk
A good interview, all in all.

At 13:32, they start talking about the rubber colors rule change. However, I didn't hear any good reasoning from the President apart from "it's fun" and "I'd like it and vote for it".

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 23:40 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
From the internets: "Parkinson's law of triviality is C. Northcote Parkinson's 1957 argument that members of an organization give disproportionate weight to trivial issues."

Also known as bike-shedding.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 01:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

*Shrug* If it's black + a color then I don't think it'd affect me much, though maybe I'd choose one rubber over another just because it was available in some weird color. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 05:46 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
haggisv wrote:
I don't think it would change the game much though, the characteristics will basically stay the same.

This is a quote from Torsten's thread on the plastic ball when Andy Smith in particular was asking about the availability of "orange plastic balls"

Torsten wrote:
As said in the Q&A, ITTF did not make any restriction for the colours, so from our side the manufacturers can bring in orange plastic balls for approval tomorrow.
The reason why they do not do so yet is probably still the same: They need to finalize the research on material composition for the white balls; if they double the colour now, they very likely double their expenses. So, we assume, they focus on the white balls until these are optimized. As ITTF allowed for released tolerances only from May 2014 - December 2015, this process must be finished until then. This means, it is reasonable to expect orange balls in 2015.

Here's something to consider about colour affecting performance, why are car tyres black?

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... ting-tire/

Mmmmmm. Does this mean multi coloured rubbers won't last as long or be as durable as black rubbers? Less durable, more sales?

Personally I don't like it. Don't forget, gloss and the actual colour of the rubber has to stay within certain parameters during the lifetime of a rubber to be legal for competition. How will different colours react in this respect. And then there is the use of ball. If I turn up at a venue with an orange rubber and my opponents are using an orange ball, what happens?

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 11:24 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes fair point about the colours, we already know some rubbers are different between red and black, but for most rubbers I don't think the difference is that great. It's possible some of the other colours produce more differences though.

Regarding rubber colours and balls, the ITTF have yet to approve which colours they allow, so if they have any sense 8) , they won't choose colours close to the legal ball colour.

Allowing different ball colours and textures will be on next year's agenda. 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 12:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yes, it's true that car tires are black because the stuff they add to make them black gives the rubber certain desirable properties that makes tires last longer and perform better. However, does this apply to table tennis rubbers? If it does, then black sheets should last longer than red sheets - and I don't think they do.

Yes, it'd take some tinkering and research to make rubber sheets of different colors, but just because they CAN doesn't mean they HAVE to. Any manufacturer can just continue making red and black sheets only - the only incentive for making different colored sheets would be if they think it'll lead to more sales. Overall, I don't think it will.. but market shares might shift.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 12:47 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
If TSP releases P1R in blue, I'm buying a sheet. It'll match my OOAK shirt nicely!

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2019, 14:17 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
I have put this to a few players and non players in my local club and friends group. The younger players are all for it with an equal split of 50/50 between older players on if they like it or not. The consensus among the players is "I don't really mind, its just a colour/WOOHOO COLOURS!"

From the non-players who i spoke to they said that it would make for more interesting looking and diverse equipment that would make it look more interesting to them. Basically they were saying at the moment the red/black means that everything looks the same to them and seeing different colours would be cool.

I don't think its a big deal personally, I think it may be good to get some younger players more excited about equipment that they otherwise would be less invested in. The old "oooh shiny!" effect is a strong one. :D

It also allows for more "branded" looks to equipment, more then just the colour of sponges we have seen in the latest rounds of offerings. In regards to longevity, I doubt the colour will matter much on the top sheets, I find the sponge is what dies on my rubbers first, far quicker then the top sheet ever does.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2019, 02:09 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
I was a bit worried before I realized that one side was still required to be black. Having a yellow rubber on one side and an orange one on the other would potentially defeat the two-color rule. But since that isn't going to be allowed, I don't think it's going to be a big deal, so long as prices don't jump due to inventory getting more complex.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next