OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 03 May 2024, 08:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21 

Hello everybody,

I would love to see your recommendations for a new configuration. I have been saving some money for a long time now Tand table tennis is really the only hobby I have that I really enjoy. That's why I want to put some time and consideration into this new purchase. I appreciate every recommendation, yet I would especially love to hear from people with experince.

I have been using Yasaka Sweden Extra + 2x Xiom Vega Europe (red 1,8mm black 2,3mm; I am not sure about this) and I have been loving it. I love the amount of control and precision it gives me. I am really able to put the ball exactly where I want it to go and manipulate it just how I want. At the same time I love the fact that I can spin, attack but also chop most balls with this racket.

Now that I have developed my technique and feel more comfortable, I have the feeling I could profit from spinnier rubbers.
This is where you come in play!

Could you please recommend me something with the same control and precision as the Xiom Vega Europe, but with more spin and optionally more power. However, control and precision are the most important factors for me and I would not sacrifice them for crazy amounts of spin.
Also, I have no idea of blades, so I am open to any suggestion that will pass to my wishes I stated above.
My budget is around 200-250€.

Thank you in advance!

Best
Ivo

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 19:42 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Change nothing?
Your setup looks to be sensible. If you have coaching available in your area, your budget may be better spent on some lessons one-on-one.

Much depends on your outlook and motivation for playing. The desire to "try something else" is of course a motivation, so also sensible.

Change blade?
For the "oomph" step up you desire, I guess I would keep the same rubbers but change the blade. A Re-Impact T4 with Xiom Vega Europe rubbers looks to be well within your budget. The T4 is mainly balsa, so very light and with an unusual "response characteristic". I sometimes feel that precision suffers when chopping, but this may be just a matter of habit. Note that the maker (Achim Rendler, or just achim in this place) does not recommend max sponge thickness on his blades. The sponge thickness would then counteract the tuned response of the blade.

Nittaku Septear is another option with more traditional materials and similar pricing. Flatter "response curve", so takes a little less getting used to. Also, when you can get rubbers and blade from the same source, they will usually have a reasonably priced glue service so you don't need to mess with that yourself.

Change rubber?
You could also keep your blade and try different rubbers. I do not have any personal experience with those high energy rubbers, so I offer comments I have gathered from other players.

Butterfly Bryce Speed and Tenergy 64 are fast, but I guess you lose a bit of the control characteristic you mention.

Donic Bluefire/Bluestorm rubbers are also fast, but easier to control.

Change everything?
Sure! You decide.

You may be disappointed that my main advice is to keep some of what you have. Changing everything can be more fun, but it adds too many variables if you want to find the optimal setup for yourself. Small steps can look boring, but they get you there faster.

There are of course cheaper choices with nearly the same characteristics. This allows you to try more options and keep within budget, but for most players I'd say it is better to stay with one setup for an extended period. I have been on the EJ train, and that is fine if the experience is more important than consistent improvement. You decide for yourself. Have fun!

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 17:38 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Do not change if you are generally happy with your setup. Try other people's rackets. If you tried and found something brilliant change your blade or one rubber side. Making minimal changes will help you to understand equipment differences. Changing everything you will learn nothing but random feel difference of random equipment.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 22:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
Keme and Omut always have wise advice.

If you do not have coaching and can use the money for it and it is available then I would absolutely go that route. If you already have coaching then your coach may have some ideas about your equipment.

How old are your rubbers? A second set-up is nice. No matter what I recommend changing inverted rubber at least once a year.