OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2024, 20:06 

Hello,
I've been playing table tennis for around ten years in a small club that only had a coach for 3 years because it's expensive.
Despite the training, I still cannot return the serves because I am too slow in reading the server's gesture and I am overwhelmed when I have to return the serve. When I get there it's a stroke of luck... So I no longer have any pleasure in playing and want to stop.
Last week, a player made me try a "Best anti" anti-top on the backhand of a Stiga allround classic wood, and there I can deliver serves without worrying and I have found pleasure in playing again.
BUT, the big problem is that it is very frowned upon by other members of the club to have an anti-top and they told me clearly that even if these coverings are approved by the ITTF, they will no longer play against me in training because the anti-top causes dead balls and trajectories which destroy the effectiveness of the exercises when you have a backside.
I've asked other clubs in the area what they think and they don't want it, and the ones with pips aren't welcome either, so I'm at a dead end.
So my dilemma is that with backsides I take the effect and I no longer have the pleasure of playing, and if I persist with a backhand anti-top no one wants to train with me.
Ultimately, either I have a conventional racket in training and a racket with an anti-top in competition (and during matches at the end of training) and there it poses no problem to anyone, or I am condemned to stop .
Unless there is a rubber which does not take the effects like an anti-top and which behaves like a blackside in classic exchanges, I don't have much of a solution.
What do you think ?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2024, 21:57 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
robert2024 wrote:
Hello,
I've been playing table tennis for around ten years in a small club that only had a coach for 3 years because it's expensive.
Despite the training, I still cannot return the serves because I am too slow in reading the server's gesture and I am overwhelmed when I have to return the serve. When I get there it's a stroke of luck... So I no longer have any pleasure in playing and want to stop.
Last week, a player made me try a "Best anti" anti-top on the backhand of a Stiga allround classic wood, and there I can deliver serves without worrying and I have found pleasure in playing again.
BUT, the big problem is that it is very frowned upon by other members of the club to have an anti-top and they told me clearly that even if these coverings are approved by the ITTF, they will no longer play against me in training because the anti-top causes dead balls and trajectories which destroy the effectiveness of the exercises when you have a backside.
I've asked other clubs in the area what they think and they don't want it, and the ones with pips aren't welcome either, so I'm at a dead end.
So my dilemma is that with backsides I take the effect and I no longer have the pleasure of playing, and if I persist with a backhand anti-top no one wants to train with me.
Ultimately, either I have a conventional racket in training and a racket with an anti-top in competition (and during matches at the end of training) and there it poses no problem to anyone, or I am condemned to stop .
Unless there is a rubber which does not take the effects like an anti-top and which behaves like a blackside in classic exchanges, I don't have much of a solution.
What do you think ?

You say that the problem arises only during training but not during matches. Your teammates don't care about competing with you but they do care about training. In training, serves are not usually performed, only forehand or backhand rallies. So you can always use the non-antitop rubber for training, either always using FH or turning the blade to do BH. I'm sorry to tell you that your "colleagues" are quite stupid for not taking advantage of the fact that they have a partner who uses different material, because later, in competitions, they will find it.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2024, 22:08 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
Most of the clubs and players are not open to play with players using "non-traditional" equipment, such as the pimples or antis. An antispin player myself, I also encounted this problem and even when I get to play with somebody, they just outplay me easily and you can read their thoughts that "this is too ez... i need somebody actually able to play". These "teammates" are so good no pimplers or antiiers have ever beat them, so I will not. This is one and the main reason, while to the other less significant reasons is that I am not a "player", just a lazy *sshole not willing to learn to play with an inverted. Okay, I can somewhat understand, I am not the best antiier around. But on the other hand, this is style-based discrimination.

Thne we have to other end, I have played a few times in a club where everyone was using pimples, maybe no expection was there. I was not welcomed there particularly, but they did not complain. So they do not in my current club, as I have mentioned, they just beat the crap out of me every single time. So in the end, maybe pimples and antispins are not the best way to play, as you will be very easily beat by good players and will not be considered as a proper player. I mean, this is at least the case around here. I do not know about you.

As for the problem, if they are not willing to accept your new style, then that is that. They have never really loved you, because if they did, they would let you do this. Also, it is possible to twiddle the racket, so during trainings it should not be a problem, maybe during matches. As I have mentioned, in my club it is not a great problem, they are completey neutral about me, even if I were playing with a pure sheet of wood.

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2024, 22:23 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Hi,

I play glanti and I like to see it as a tool. I can play all normal strokes with inverted rubber and I can twiddle. I can train and perform most excercices other people can do. (Sometimes a bit slower because off twiddling)

I matches I use the anti to use the spin of my opponent against them and I can finish a point with inverted both BH or FH.

Everybody finds my annoying to play against. But they seldom complain. I can be a good trainingspartner but I'm a difficult opponent who makes you play out of your comfortzone and into mine.

Tabletennis is about playing the game you like to play and make friendships and fun as you want. Don't worry about it. Try to be nice and learn to play inverted both sides so you can practice with your club members

Also them not wanting to play you is very petty and shows how 'bad' there abbility to play is. You can practice with everyone no matter the equipment. I frenquently train with a player playing both long and short pips. It's all about willing to try

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g22 met Tapatalk

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2024, 23:39 

Blade: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
FH: VICTAS 102 (ZLC side)2 mm
BH: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5m
I am sorry that in your area, people are less willing to accept other types of rubbers except inverted. I guess your inverted rubber skill hasn't earned their "respect" and then when you use Anti, they think that you just want a shortcut. Their opinions are stupid in my opinion. I suggest that you can try Spinlord Sandwind (half anti) 1.5mm. You can use it like inverted rubber but it's less sensitive to spin. It may help you receive serves.

Because in my country, it's very easy to meet pips players, some club members even enjoy to play/train with me no matter what I use (short, middle, long or anti). They can have chance to practice and be good at when they meet pips players.

Blade#1: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
Blade#2: Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Blade#3: Joo Saehyuk
FH: VICTAS 102 2.0mm
BH#1: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5mm (ALC side)
BH#2: Nittaku DO Knuckle 1.4mm
BH#3: Yasaka Anti Power

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2024, 14:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To heck with those who don't want to practice against the anti and long pips. They're only hurting themselves. Just keep using what you want to use. The suggestion that you use one bat for training and the other for competition is not tenable - you'll REALLY hurt your consistency doing this.

Remember - it's NOT EASY to play with long pips or with anti - sure, it might make returning serves easier, but you will find yourself popping up balls, putting balls in the net, etc. Most people I've seen make the switch suffer a big temporary decline in level after the switch, and the only way to get good at using long pips or anti is PRACTICE. Conversely, it's also not easy to play AGAINST long pips or anti, unless you have a 1800+ rating (which, from the sounds of it, your clubmates who complain, don't). To learn to play against these rubbers you NEED PRACTIC PLAYING AGAINST THEM. Which is why they're only hurting themselves.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2024, 14:30 

"In training, serves are not usually performed, only forehand or backhand rallies."

Really? That's very poor training indeed.

"I guess your inverted rubber skill hasn't earned their "respect" and then when you use Anti, they think that you just want a shortcut. Their opinions are stupid in my opinion."

He does just want a shortcut. The whole stereotype about pimples / anti players only using the rubber because of lack of skill is true in this case. I understand why though, it is boring if he can't return serves and fun when he can. Unfortunately the other players are too low level to handle anti so it is no longer fun for them now.

So the options are:

1) learn to play with normal rubber. Find a coach, at another club if necessary.
2) use anti and find another club / move house. :lol:
3) do as you say and use anti only for matches.
4) use sandwind maybe? a half anti.

"The suggestion that you use one bat for training and the other for competition is not tenable - you'll REALLY hurt your consistency doing this." - I don't think OP is at the level where that is necessarily correct. Maybe, maybe not. Ultimately it's about exercise and social interaction, not serious competition, so OP should do whatever it takes to achieve those goals.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 07:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
WorkoutMontage wrote:
"
4) use sandwind maybe? a half anti.

++++1 . Spinlord Sandwind one of a kind.Very good for serve returns

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2024, 11:28 
Super User

Blade: Donic Waldner WC 89 FL
FH: Donic BlueStar A2 Red Max
BH: DMS Firestorm Black 1.8
Yes, I can also recommend the Sandwind. I tried a sheet, and Half Anti seems to be a good description of the rubbers properties.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!