OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 167  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 22:16 

hi! iam Jed from the Philippines. 28 years old and have been playing competitively during highschool and college (varsity team). haven't held a racket since 2 months ago where I had to train for our company sportsfest (still won gold). I train at Hua Ching table tennis club (probably the best club in the Philippines with top of the line equipment; hardwood floors, Donic world champion tables, good coaches and one of the members is the distributor of Donic products.

I am a production engineer for an electronics company based in the Philippines.

more of an all around player / looper. now getting back to the sport that I love. will be back training competitively next month when my schedule will allow for inter company tournaments. currently using avalox bt777 with donic jp02 and desto f1. previously used a samsonov alpha with yasaka xtend and tibhar makss (head got broken during a tournament).

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 00:45 
Super User

Blade: Hallmark Aurora
FH: Haifu Dolphin
BH: Pogo
Just discovered this forum and love it.

I'm from the USA, grew up in Florida and Georgia. Used to play table tennis on and off in church groups growing up but never seriously. I live in California now, the Bay Area and started to play again more seriously this year. Table tennis is pretty big here.

I just started playing a league and I'm about 400 but going down, haha.

I'm 40 years old, play penhold with shortpips. I try to play 5-6 hours a week.

So just wanted to say hi to everyone.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 06:25 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Big welcome, Gus-goose. :up:

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 12:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum gus_goose & jedvidlim! :up:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 00:56 

Hey all!

I hail from Bermuda and I'm back in the sport after playing in high school. I caught the bug again a few weeks ago while playing with my 20-year old paddle (with Butterfly Tackiness-D's) ... and it felt great!

The sport has changed a bit since I've been away (scoring, balls, rubber technology, etc). This forum has helped me to get a handle on things so, thanks! I'm joining the league here soon and just bought a new paddle, so it's onwards and upwards from here! :up:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 01:56 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
sugarbear wrote:
Hey all!

I hail from Bermuda and I'm back in the sport after playing in high school. I caught the bug again a few weeks ago while playing with my 20-year old paddle (with Butterfly Tackiness-D's) ... and it felt great!

The sport has changed a bit since I've been away (scoring, balls, rubber technology, etc). This forum has helped me to get a handle on things so, thanks! I'm joining the league here soon and just bought a new paddle, so it's onwards and upwards from here! :up:

Welcome! Do you mean Tackiness Chop? or Tackifire Drive? Or maybe it's a rubber I don't know. What style do you play?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 21:05 

Japsican wrote:
Welcome! Do you mean Tackiness Chop? or Tackifire Drive? Or maybe it's a rubber I don't know. What style do you play?

Hey Japsican,

I mean Tackiness Drive. It was a popular rubber about 20 years ago :-)

My style now is pretty allround but I'm developing a more offensive style.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 08:23 

Greetings,
I'm Fritz from the U.S. Doing the majority of my playing at the Phoenix Table Tennis Club. I just picked up the paddle again after a few years hiatus from steady playing. I am definitely a beginner; still dialing in the all the basic strokes, working on footwork, learning from my mistakes and finding/developing my own playing style. Other interests of mine include but are not limited to: Music, film, comics/graphic novels, woodworking, and spending time outdoors.
I found this forum through the obligatory internet searches for more info on the great sport of table tennis.

Cheers!

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 08:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Welcome ot the forum Fritz! :rock:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 15:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Greetings RangkorGrip!

That Avatar image you have...what is it? (It's nice to understand people's interests)

There is a lot of varied info available here, sometimes it takes patience, sometimes helpful answers come quickly.

I think the majority of us have been EJ's at some point. (Equipment Junkies) I have tried over 40 different rubbers in the last 5 years.

Let us know what you are trying and learning!

:up:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 07:33 

glennholder wrote:
Greetings RangkorGrip!

That Avatar image you have...what is it? (It's nice to understand people's interests)

There is a lot of varied info available here, sometimes it takes patience, sometimes helpful answers come quickly.

I think the majority of us have been EJ's at some point. (Equipment Junkies) I have tried over 40 different rubbers in the last 5 years.

Let us know what you are trying and learning!

:up:

Thanks Glenn, and Haggis.

The avatar is Krang, a villain from the '87 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. I'm a fan of sci-fi, and there's lot of nostalgia in classic TMNT for me.

As far as trying things out goes: I received a Donic Appelgren Dotec Control as a gift (a very nice gift). I have decided to go the "modern defender" route with this one, with the intention of then putting together a more offensive bat next. The idea being; to have a sort of gradient of paddles to experiment with.
Would this be wise, or not so much?

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2015, 16:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Hi RangkorGrip!

That's cool that your avatar is from TMNT! I really appreciate cartoons, I'm a cartoonist. In fact, the smilies on the panel to our left, I created the 3 on the bottom , the images of the table tennis paddles.

I think your gradient of paddles is a great idea! Try t out! It's similar to what I have done.

Next question: what does RangkorGrip mean?

For me, glennholder refers to the way I hold my paddle. My paddles have a cut in the blade, allowing me to hold them like a hammer, no finder up like a shakehand grip.

Keep us informed on you experimenting! :Chop: :topspin:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 15:23 

Blade: Yinhe N11S
FH: KTL Pro XP 1.8mm
BH: 729 802 Mystery III 1.7mm
Hi All,

My name is Ian and currently reside in Sydney, in the land of Aus.

I played competitively at club and tournament levels a kid back in the late 70's. Never managed to get out of the Men'c C Grade level even back then :$ Came back to the game back in the early 2000's for a short period at club level and found that I was slow and well out of touch.

My rig in the 70's was Black Power (1.5) FH and Mark V (1.5) BH on a Stiga Allround. My last rig was Prasidha 830 (FH & BH) on my trusty Stiga Allround (control/spinny rubbers are for me). I'm a pusher/blocker who looks for the opening for a FH loop. Used to counter hit a bit back in the day but I am way too slow for that sort of thing now. Never had and never will have a BH loop.

The guys "play" socially at work and I found I had the itch for table tennis again. I started looking a new rig to use (I finally lost my trusty Stiga Allround blade from the 70's) and a club to play at when I came across these great forums.

So if you guys/gals happen to come across a wizened old man at a club, take it easy on him and spot him a few points head start. Let him think he can still play before you whip him to a 11 - 0 scoreline !!

See you guys at the table (hope they haven't changed the dimensions of that too).

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 15:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Welcome to the forum Quasi :up:

Table dimensions is (luckily) one of the few things that has not changed. :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 05:52 

Hi Forum

my name is Max Reich, I live currently in Karlsruhe, Germany and I'm a 29 year old student of maths.
In the fall of last year I decided, after a "break" of 11 years, to unburry my old bat and play again at my university (KIT Karlsruhe).
After switching my playstyle from classical defence to modern defence I joined a club this January.
I won two 1450-1600 TTR-Torunaments this summer and my ttr points went through the roof. (Currently 1636)
One day I dream to play like the lost little German-half-brother of Gionis Panagiotis :D (therefore the username, although I have to admite that I stole the wordplay from the world championship commentator ...)
Since I am unfortunately the only defender at my university-training or my club, this forum has been (and of course still is) a tremendous help :up:
My current setup is
Joola Greenline Medium
Joola Octupus 1.1
and Joola Maxxx 2.0
Yes, I am a Joola fanboy since I come from the same city in Germany (Landau in der Pfalz, the "la" in Joola stands for "Landau") :angel:

best regards

defentist_apostel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 167  Next