OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 19:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
As some you know, I have a durometer to measure the hardness of rubbers and use it whenever I glue a rubber to a bat (if I remember). I keep the value in a table here:

Sponge hardness measurement table

Unfortunately most rubbers come sealed, so I can't just open packets of rubber in our store just to measure the hardness (would not be able to sell it after that)... I can only do it when I have to glue the rubber to a blade for someone.

I don't know how useful people find this table, but I personally think is very valuable, or I would not bother... Do you find it useful?

I would be great if some of you, who do try quite a range of rubber, could keep the cut-offs... and when you've a bunch of these, from rubbers that are not already in the table, send them down to me to measure... Obviously with just 1 or 2 pieces, it's hardly worth it, but if you've got a bunch of them, the postage (within AU) would only be about a dollar or so (in an envelope sent as a letter), and I'd be happy to pay for that as well. For people outside AU, I think the postage cost would be too high to make it worthwhile...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 19:07 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Thanks Haggisv this is great :thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 19:17 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

...Will do HaggisV

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 19:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks guys!

That reminds me MM, I should measure the Mirage sponge... more for fun than anything, as the hardness is not exactly meaningful :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 19:38 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

That sponge is completely out of this world for HaggisV,

hehe, well it's very hard, but it kills of all the spin and the speed :?:

Anyway it will interesting to find out just how hard that sponge is.

metal monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2008, 20:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes you're right... the sponge fascinates me :oops: :lol:

I measured it... measures 41deg... softer than I expected....

Funny thing is the durometer leaves indentations on the sponge... and the reading changes after a a small period as the sponge dents... very weird stuff 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 13:18 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
how about... for the people you know already who are purchasing rubbers from you, you could ask them whether you could open the packaging to measure the rubbers (hardness, weight, etc...)...

no harm in asking... if i were buying rubbers from you i wouldn't mind you opening the packaging and measure the rubbers first....

just a thought...

p.s. one time i help a guy in procuring provincial h3 in 41 degrees. i asked him whether i could try it before sending it to him because i want to try the 41 degree hardness. well, he let me... no harm in asking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2008, 14:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

rokphish2 wrote:
how about... for the people you know already who are purchasing rubbers from you, you could ask them whether you could open the packaging to measure the rubbers (hardness, weight, etc...)...

no harm in asking... if i were buying rubbers from you i wouldn't mind you opening the packaging and measure the rubbers first....

just a thought...

p.s. one time i help a guy in procuring provincial h3 in 41 degrees. i asked him whether i could try it before sending it to him because i want to try the 41 degree hardness. well, he let me... no harm in asking...

Yes I guess that's ok for people that I know already... good idea, I'll ask next time :wink:

Last edited by haggisv on 05 Nov 2008, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008, 15:07 
Liquid Evil Chopper

How is sponge hardness measured?

I've kept all the excess rubbers (all neatly labelled as well) which should come handy for your endeavour haggis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 07:37 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

haggisv wrote:
rokphish2 wrote:

just a thought...

Yes I guess that's ok for people that I know already... good idea :wink:

Yes, good idea. Personally, I won't mind you opening up my package to measure the sponge before posting to me. I will try to remember to put that offer for you to measure my sponge in that message area with my future orders.

@BB: not only are you an EJ, you are also a JC (junk collector) :lol:

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 10:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Beer Belly wrote:
How is sponge hardness measured?

I've kept all the excess rubbers (all neatly labelled as well) which should come handy for your endeavour haggis.

I've got a durometer which I bought specifically for this purpose. It's basically a metal ball which pushes into the sponge, and the resistance is a measure of the sponge hardness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 18:51 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Wish you thought of this a while ago Haggisv. I would have done like BB and labelled what cuts were what. IIRC you don't mind measuring the same rubber type time after time to see variation, correct?

What size does a cut need to be to measureable?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 21:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I can get a fairly accurate reading if the piece is at least 15mm in both directions.. most cutoff are that size... Yes I do somtimes measure multiple samples, but I'm more keen to get ones I don't have already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2008, 22:46 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Cool I shall dust off my collection and send them to you next week Haggis!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2008, 00:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Great stuff! I'll send it back when I've done the measurements... thanks very much!