OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:18 
Chinese Forum Spy

*sigh* I never thought I'd be back here.

Ever since I realised that all-wood blades were superior in control I've been EJ'ing the "classic" blades like there's no tomorrow. I suppose today hit me pretty hard when I failed to beat a State team junior...I must've lost 15-16 unforced errors due to just not knowing how my racket would react.

Normally I would ask for a fund to help poor geko so that he may EJ more blades...but rather I'm more interested in knowing how to stop EJing and at what point do you realise the equipment you're using is adequate?

Seriously I thought I hit the jackpot with the OC and 729FX, but I lost to a (different) state team junior, so I changed and now I can't use anything. Every single racket I play with I can find its flaw...gah! I think I've really lost it this time (I spent $250 on equipment just in the last month)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:45 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Sounds like you've tried so many things out, you don't know what to use anymore. And like you've said, you've been able to pick flaws in everything. The problem with that much experimenting is that you never quite get comfortable with a setup.

What I'd suggest is thinking about your natural style. What it is you like to do during a match, what you're most successful at, and what you have the most fun doing.

Then, think about your previous experiences with the different equipment. Give a good, honest evaluation of each one, only looking at each item from the perspective of what suits your natural style the best. If you have regular guys you play with/against, ask them for their opinions. I find I get some of the best insight from guys like mdjenders, who know my game a lot. They often have the best perspective on things that we aren't so neutral about.

Then, pick a setup and stick with it for a couple of months. You've got quite a catalog of equipment built up, so you can always switch to one of the other things in your arsenal if you don't see development. But to me, the key is, do I feel myself getting better? Do I feel like I have a high ceiling of improvement? If you do, then you've got a good setup. If you feel you don't, switch to something else.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:46 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hi mate -- not much advice from me, just that you'll have to accept that there's probably going to be a flaw in your setup somewhere...

And that you should, try to get the gear to compliment your style of play more.

And I take it that you're a generate-your-own-power type (my assessment from your previous posts, feel free to correct me), so I think you can easily get away with OC or something more controllable even -- just don't go for single blazing winner, it's going to be hard without a carbon blade and a tensioned sheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

One way to stop EJing is to realize that it is making your game worse. If you keep changing equipment you will never get better because you will never find something comfortable you can stick with while you improve your game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:54 
HE-LP on land or sea

I can second that!

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:57 
Chinese Forum Spy

dwruck wrote:
What I'd suggest is thinking about your natural style. What it is you like to do during a match, what you're most successful at, and what you have the most fun doing.

Thanks, I really do need to sit down and do that. I just have way too many ideas going through my head at anyone time. It's like "should I try a faster blade? No, no, I need more control. Oh look this setup is so slow I can't even get the slow loop to cross the net. I think I just need faster rubbers. Now I don't have the control. Oh I need a new blade" GAH! I need someone to tell my inner voice to shut the hell up. I swear EJing has brought me to the brink of insanity.

Yuzuki wrote:
And I take it that you're a generate-your-own-power type (my assessment from your previous posts, feel free to correct me), so I think you can easily get away with OC or something more controllable even -- just don't go for single blazing winner, it's going to be hard without a carbon blade and a tensioned sheet.

Yep, I'm the guy who's able to hit winners with a chopper's setup. The thing is, the OC's whipping effect makes the short game much much more difficult than other blades.

But apart from that I used a rock hard sheet of 729 on the HK and cracked it in the middle during a smash-kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 23:59 
HE-LP on land or sea

Sounds like you'd do well with samsonov alpha. It plays like a stiffer OC.

Yasaka YEO
Go Chicago White Sox!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 01:10 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
gekogark1212 wrote:
*sigh* I never thought I'd be back here.

Ever since I realised that all-wood blades were superior in control I've been EJ'ing the "classic" blades like there's no tomorrow. I suppose today hit me pretty hard when I failed to beat a State team junior...I must've lost 15-16 unforced errors due to just not knowing how my racket would react.

Geko, face it mate, at 21 you're an old has-been! :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now as we know that isn't actually true all you need to do is stop concerning yourself with results while you are in this "difficult" period. As you titled the thread, go back and start afresh. Clear your mind of all the tangents that distract you and focus on what is going to work for you at an 80/20 level. That is while expending just 20% of your TT equipment knowedge, what would give you an 80% success rate at returning shots? Is HK too fast for this? Put it down and use something a tad slower. What rubbers will work in with this goal? As Yuz said, recognise everything you use will have some sort of flaw or shortcoming.

Pick the set up that will suit the 80/20 rule. Then start playing with that and take note of what you do right and what you do wrong. Practice fixing what you do wrong with it, but stick with it. When you achieve what you feel is an 80% success rate and can hold that as a constant, then you might want to consider whether you can fiddle with equipment to get it better. But as long as a setup is giving you a reasonable feel on the basics of your game, then you need to work on bringing the rest up with technique.

If you have a coach, obviously work with them on it. If not, then get one of the guys you see a bit, like MM, to work with you a bit.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 01:23 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Let's be honest here for a moment. Is it the equipment that is flawed, or is it you? When you find equipment that is close to your style its good. Then you need to adjust your style to fit your equipment. You will never be able to find the perfect equipment. Your style and experience changes all the time. I hope I didn't piss you off but sometimes the truth hurts. Find something that is close and stick with it. Because speed glue is no more, you will be hard pressed to find something that will blow by someone. Seemiller uses a slow bat for control and not that fast a rubber and look at him. I say speed kills while control last longer.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 01:27 
HE-LP on land or sea

I think you just need to go at one setup *any setup and play with it for a while, then take an objective anylasis. Even better, ask your hitting parners and teammates. The samsonov alpha thing was a joke. Just make sure you make TT FUN for you, and not put so much pressure on yourself.

Yasaka YEO
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 02:49 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Let's be honest here for a moment. Is it the equipment that is flawed, or is it you? When you find equipment that is close to your style its good. Then you need to adjust your style to fit your equipment. You will never be able to find the perfect equipment. Your style and experience changes all the time. I hope I didn't piss you off but sometimes the truth hurts. Find something that is close and stick with it. Because speed glue is no more, you will be hard pressed to find something that will blow by someone. Seemiller uses a slow bat for control and not that fast a rubber and look at him. I say speed kills while control last longer.

I agree, personally i would say 70% is your technique and how you play where as 30% is your equipment, dont get me wrong. Yes your equipment does effect your game, Hence it can go both ways, it can go well with you or agaisnt you ( and ruin your game). Im sure you can say its gone agaisnt you. Just stick to one set up play with it for months and get use to it. I myself a young player always blame my equipment when something goes wrong but to be honest its me. Please dont get offended because im not trying to do so. Table tennis isn't just a physical game there is mental sides, I and most properly others on this game need to control our mind and improve on it. If you think negative you feel negative thus this creates players to perfrom *s**** on the other hand if you take your time and run things in your mind your most likely to play much better and have the confidence in yourself and your equipment. Hence that 30% will work your way.

Just my thoughts guys, hope it helps you GEK.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 07:50 
Chinese Forum Spy

Thanks guys! I think you guys nailed it. It's my mental game that's in trouble at the moment. I PROMISE I'll stick with something for a while...and I'll post up results that'll make you guys proud! ie, I'll film the next time I play those little punks and you'll see me whip them up and down the table!

I think it's time to go training again :D :D :D

Wow, I think I just made it through my table tennis mid0life crisis! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 08:10 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Well there juniors must be doing something right if they play for state.
Dont be too hard on yourself, also I doubt the young guys would ej as much as us, as they dont work for a living yet, also I dont think there parents would appreciate there money being spent on table tennis.

Just work on your game and build up more battle experience points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 08:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Some great advice here already!

Every setup has it's drawback...some can be overcome, some not so easy.. depends a lot on yourself.

I also think it takes quite a lot of session to work all this out... usually takes me about a month... so take your time... this will help you adjust and evaluate it properly, and saves you a lot of money too...

Evaluate your game.... find out what strokes you play most... Find equipment (you most likely have something already) that is suitable for that stroke and gives you enough speed/spin.... then practice and try to make it work... take note of what does not work, and try to find a way around it... Evaluating your game like this will teach you a lot about your game and TT styles/strategies as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 10:40 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Oh yeah, almost forgot to tell you -- perhaps the other player is also trying his best to keep you at bay and bring his best shots on the table.

I'd second MM -- the other guys are also trying to improve as well and fast as you do, don't be too hard on yourself.