OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 12:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 11:45 

Let's share information about which table tennis events (all the events around the world) have used or will use new plastic balls (both seamless and seamed). As ITTF has announced that as of July 1st, 2014, all ITTF sanctioned events shall use plastic balls instead of celluloid balls. Now nearly 4 months has passed, I was wondering if the world are carrying out the order? What about those not ITTF sanctioned events? Are they still using celluloid balls?
As far as I know, the recent women's World Cup used seamed plastic balls, the brand is unknown.
2014 China super League used two-toned plastic ball made by DHS.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 12:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It seems that all of the German superleague matches will use plastic balls this year. I would be surprised if there will be any ITTF events that don't follow this mandate. I think top players are still having trouble with these balls, a lot of matches seem pretty messy.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 13:12 

In the US, our Nationals in December will use Nittaku Premium 40+. The North American Teams in late November is using the Joola Super P 40+. There was also a minor tournament in Texas that played with a poly ball in September, but I forget which one. and I just saw today two tournaments at the North Carolina Training facility in Jan and Feb of 2015 will use Butterfly poly (even though they're not currently available). Other than the above, all other tournaments to the best of my knowledge are using celluloid. I expect more and more tournaments will begin switching to poly in 2015 as the supply stabilizes and hopefully the quality improves.

We have a couple of players at our club that will be going to the Nationals and they're using Nittaku SHA balls to start getting used to them. Nittaku Premium 40+ won't even be available here in the States until November according to the US distributor for Nittaku. And the ones they do get in will be reserved for players entered in the Nationals.

Larry

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 19:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think the brand of ball will pretty much depend on sponsorship, not which is the best balls unfortunately. :(

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 20:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I think the brand of ball will pretty much depend on sponsorship, not which is the best balls unfortunately. :(

And availability!!! The Nittaku Premium Japan is better than the others in pretty much every way --- except you can't get it at the moment. (I bought a few boxes from Iruiru which arrived about a week ago, but now they are back ordered again). As Larry mentioned, when Paddle Palace gets some the priority for sale will go to people entered in US Open.

The various Chinese-made seamed balls are pretty much the same so it doesn't matter too much what brand you use, they come from one of two factories and the manufacturing process is the same. Some people say they prefer DF to DHS. I can't really see that much difference, they tend to have the same problems with bounce. Since most tournaments are using those then sponsorship might as well determine the thing.

For people training for US Nationals, I would suggest that training with ITTF-approved XSF balls will give you an experience a bit closer to the Nittaku Premium than using Nittaku SHA because the height of the bounce is much closer to the same (and closer to celluloid also). XSF feels a bit softer than Nittaku Premium but it is an easy transition. This is from now extensive and intensive personal experience.

Butterfly 40+ balls are made in China and are seamed. Even though they are not yet available, there is no reason to suspect in advance that they would be very much different from DHS except for one thing I will be very interested to see --- most of the Chinese-made seamed balls that have been sent to the US (at least all of the ones I have seen), regardless of the band stamped on the ball (Joola, DHS, etc.), were manufactured in June according to the four letter code stamped on the box. I am not sure why. Did they not make any balls in July or August? Anyway, Butterfly balls when we get them will almost certainly have much more recent manufacturing dates. That is important because those balls may allow us to assess if the Chinese factories are improving their process and making a better ball. For me, the first thing I will want to see is the simple bounce test. If you drop them from the same height as celluloid, will it bounce as high and keep bouncing for as long? The balls that do are easier to play with (XSF and Nittaku Premium) and both of those have also been a bit more durable (XSF most of all). It is really that simple! Until they get the bounce right people will find it more difficult to play.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 23:32 
Super User

Baal wrote:
The Nittaku Premium Japan is better than the others in pretty much every way --- except you can't get it at the moment.

The plastic Nittaku Premium Japan have been reported to have significant durability issues.

According to Sabine Winter's article (World Rank 101) she and her partner managed to break 4 plastic Nittaku Premium balls within 15 minutes at the recent European Championship. (the article is in German)

Last edited by Smartguy on 23 Oct 2014, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 23:40 
Super User

Baal wrote:
For people training for US Nationals, I would suggest that training with ITTF-approved XSF balls will give you an experience a bit closer to the Nittaku Premium than using Nittaku SHA because the height of the bounce is much closer to the same (and closer to celluloid also). XSF feels a bit softer than Nittaku Premium but it is an easy transition.

Since you give such a practical piece of advice and that not for the first time, I dare to express my opinion on that: this is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. I mean from the player's perspective.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 23:56 
Super User

Baal wrote:
It seems that all of the German superleague matches will use plastic balls this year.

This is correct, but one should know 2 important things: apart from 2 highest devisions in Germany (where players also play internationally), like 99,9% do not use any plastic ball.

And second, not a single team in those 2 devision uses the XSF or any other seamless ball.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 02:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Smartguy wrote:
Baal wrote:
For people training for US Nationals, I would suggest that training with ITTF-approved XSF balls will give you an experience a bit closer to the Nittaku Premium than using Nittaku SHA because the height of the bounce is much closer to the same (and closer to celluloid also). XSF feels a bit softer than Nittaku Premium but it is an easy transition.

Since you give such a practical piece of advice and that not for the first time, I dare to express my opinion on that: this is the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. I mean from the player's perspective.

Your perspective from a player who has never played with the Nittaku Premium 40+ ball? Totally worthless. How can you comment if you have not played with both balls? And since you have not ever, as far as I know, commented on anything about table tennis except your disdain for 40+ balls I would dare say we have no basis to judge anything you might say about table tennis. And I mention again, we have not mentioned to break a Nittaku Premium ball yet after several hours, and one of the people doing is a former top 100 in the world men's player.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 04:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

THANKFULLY, WE HAVE NOW GOT THIS LOVELY 'Double Fish' PLASTIC ...

Actually, the elder would try to escape of spinny/looping painful play. As suffering from a variety of infirmities, the older folks do disfavour the current celluloid balls, for those will give you a lot of troubles in play, being far too lively and difficult to control.

The best part of our domestic seniors had willingly welcomed the plastic DF40+, in place of celluloid. This is how the matter stands with my own folk.. Yes.

Long live to Mr. Sharara, our darling man, our blessed benefactor on the aging players worldwide.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 04:33 
Super User

> Long live to Mr. Sharara, our darling man, our blessed benefactor on the aging players worldwide.

LOLWUT. Elderly players (esp if they're good) are going to have the most prolonged period of adjustment.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 08:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

IN this case it is actually possible for AgentHEX and Igor to both be right.

AH in that older players may take longer to adjust (that being a normal aspect of aging) and Igor may well be right that some older players may find many things to like about plastic balls once they do adjust. Depending on how they play of course, and bounce height of the balls will play some role in this. The one thing I like is that slight bit of extra time. I am a fairly standard offensive player, though. Don't use LP etc. etc. I know Igor likes his DF and DHS balls but I think he will like the higher bouncing ones better.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 08:55 
Super User

Frankly the absolute difference is so small that it's not going to matter at less than high level where most seniors plays. However if the ball feels slower, by however much, it might give folks who prefer that an edge in confidence (and vice versa for others who believe the change is biased against their game).

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 09:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

larrythoman wrote:
In the US, our Nationals in December will use Nittaku Premium 40+. The North American Teams in late November is using the Joola Super P 40+. There was also a minor tournament in Texas that played with a poly ball in September, but I forget which one. and I just saw today two tournaments at the North Carolina Training facility in Jan and Feb of 2015 will use Butterfly poly (even though they're not currently available). Other than the above, all other tournaments to the best of my knowledge are using celluloid. I expect more and more tournaments will begin switching to poly in 2015 as the supply stabilizes and hopefully the quality improves.

We have a couple of players at our club that will be going to the Nationals and they're using Nittaku SHA balls to start getting used to them. Nittaku Premium 40+ won't even be available here in the States until November according to the US distributor for Nittaku. And the ones they do get in will be reserved for players entered in the Nationals.

Larry

Westchester TTC used Joola polyball for their 4-star tournament, Open event last month, and will do so for this month's 4-star tournament as well.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 09:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The small tournament mentioned in Texas was actually a 4-star event, the Southern Open. Joola provided the 40+ balls. There have been a few tournaments in Texas in addition to that one that actually were small that used the new balls.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!