OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 08:47 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac OFF-
FH: butterfly tackiness Drive
BH: butterfly sriver Fx
Hello guys. I would like to ask you for help in choosing the right wood and rubbers for my dad. He did not play 25 years. (He is 50 y.old) Before he played tournaments for university. His game - he is left handed player. Backhand is very strong, good topspin. Forhand is weaker -the ball flies behind the table. He don´t move too much. he played at the time,when everyone had sriver or markV. he said he would want it now sriver too. I watched some OFF or OFF- blades, etc. yasaka ma lin extra offensive, yasaka ma lin soft carbon, Bty primorac off-, Bty korbell off. All of them with sriver? What do you think about this combo? maybe some other options? thank you :)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 11:08 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Any of those are fine. In the end, it's all about him, not the equipment. Everything you suggested is good; Sriver and Mark V are both good rubbers. Honestly, I think that the only thing you need to worry about is pricing, because it seems like your dad is a competent player, from what you are saying.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 14:46 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'd agree with Dan. We could get caught up with the difference between the old and new ball and guess what might be right or wrong for him in the way of more grippy tensors but I think familiarity will give confidence and therefore suggest stick with the same stuff he was using before. At least for a year or so then change after that if he wants a bit more zip or control.

Depending on what he used before I'd beware in getting a blade that is too fast or different to what he had before as it could completely change the feel therefore would defeat the purpose of going with familiar equipment. If you don't know the blade speed before, then of those I've used the Ma Lin Carbon (not soft) and Primorac and despite the Off and Off- ratings they are quite controllable.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 18:27 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
A fast blade may increase his control problems on F/hand. May be better to go for an all+ blade with good control and he can always fit faster rubbers if more speed needed later.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 19:14 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Actually all four blades mentioned ( YEO, MLSC, Primorac, and Korbel) are not that fast and all quite good feel and control wise. They will be good for beginners and advance players. Just adjust the rubbers for lees/more speed when needed.

If he can try them at a store it would be best, choose whichever most comfortable for him to hold. If can't (need to buy online), probably just get whichever more convenient to get and/or less expensive.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 21:32 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
I would suggest not going for a composite / carbon blade unless he has played with one previously.

185g

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 11:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Get one of these. Excellent control blade, and you can't beat the price. Don't get a OFF or OFF- blade.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 56861.html

25 years?? That was before the change to 40mm balls...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 14:04 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
40mm ball and 25yrs break. I personally would never go back to Sriver, Varispin etc. nowadays because I can get similar setups for a lot less. The 729 general is a good recommendatiom for those that have been using Sriver back in the days, and I would combine it to a Yinhe T7/T7S - it's fast enough to compensate the difference in catapult and it has excellent control and dwell-time.

I also like the Huaruite Crystal blades, red or blue, with medium hard eurasian-type of rubber like medium-hard CJ8000 etc. - for those who've liked Tackiness D on a fast blade or MarkV on an allround blade.

To me, the Reactor Corbor is a nice resemblence for the ol' Varispin, it may even be able to replace Tackiness C if the chosen blade compensates the difference in behaviour.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 06:18 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac OFF-
FH: butterfly tackiness Drive
BH: butterfly sriver Fx
Thank you for your advice. I wanted to know, or do not make a mistake, for example, with a combination Yasaka Ma lin extra offensive + Sriver El. He played with sriver and it was good for him. But is sriver in "new era balls" and "new era glue" good? I've heard a lot of praise on Donic Acuda S2 or S3. Would be a better choise? ....
The question is how much rubber to choose (Backhand is very strong, good topspin. Forhand is weaker -the ball flies behind the table). Thank you

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 07:34 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I hope he enjoys his return to the game. I'll go with most responses and suggest that you choose something that is similar to his old setup, at least initially. Sriver (or cheaper equivalent) on ALL or ALL+ blade. If you doubt that he can improve his FH with practice you could select a thinner sheet for that side (e.g. max BH and 1.8 FH) that will give a little more control. I don't think the new ball is much of a factor at this point.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2017, 10:44 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Tommy90 wrote:
Thank you for your advice. I wanted to know, or do not make a mistake, for example, with a combination Yasaka Ma lin extra offensive + Sriver El. He played with sriver and it was good for him. But is sriver in "new era balls" and "new era glue" good? I've heard a lot of praise on Donic Acuda S2 or S3. Would be a better choise? ....
The question is how much rubber to choose (Backhand is very strong, good topspin. Forhand is weaker -the ball flies behind the table). Thank you

Don’t worry about it; like Dusty said, the new balls aren’t a huge factor. The combo you mentioned is just fine.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 18:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I disagree that the new ball isn't a "huge factor". He'll find it slower, and a LOT easier to control. By the same token it'll be harder to spin and hit past someone than the old ball. The old "slow loop" styles are gone, people don't regularly use anti to control loops any more. People used to say, never get sponge thicker than 2.0, even the best players never went with max sponge. These days, beginners BEGIN with max sponge.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 20:20 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Disagree with your disagreement Iskandar. It all depends on standard. Last year we got some robot balls mixed up with comp balls and in there were all sorts including 38mm, rubbish 40mm and decent stuff. No one knew any different. Results haven't changed at our club since the 40+, the good players are winning and lower players are making the same mistakes, as we all are.

Fit me if the OP is or was say 1,200 to 1,500 then just go with what he had, at least for 12 months. Let him get back into, the ball won't matter. If he was of a higher standard then perhaps he might be better off with the latest equipment.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 03:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I agree that the 40+ ball hasn't really made much difference, and that relative player levels shouldn't change as the result of it's introduction. However the 38mm ball really is quite different. While there wasn't an intention to change ball characteristics with the 40+ ball (unless you subscribe to conspiracy theories like a number of people here!) the change from 38mm to 40mm WAS intended to slow the game down.

I do have a few of the last 38mm balls from the Minkow factory - I should take them out and slip them in surreptitiously during Social Doubles and see what happens.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 03:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

There is no reason your Dad has to have the same rubber on both sides. If his BH is much stronger than you could try a newer rubber on that side, maybe one from the Acuda series you mentioned, and put Sriver on the FH side. That way he gets to try them both and if one feels much better he can buy another sheet and have that on both sides.

On the blade choice the only thing I would check is if he likes all-wood or a carbon blade. Assuming you have a club to play at (otherwise why start playing again) it should be easy to borrow two paddles from other players and try one all-wood and one composite. If one feels nicer to him than the other then choose one of that type.

Yoko Ono