OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 03:29 

Blade: JOOLA Carbon Pro
FH: Stock
BH: Stock
My wife surprised the kids with a STIGA Advantage Indoor Table Tennis Table from Amazon. It was $400 USD delivered. I was against it, and didn't think they would play, but they have been using it a lot.

It claims to be 5/8" thickness. My calipers say it is 15.2mm. I know that 18mm is considered the least one should get, but my wife and I didn't know that then.

It says 190 lbs shipping weight, and the two delivery guys had a hard time carrying it. I weighed it at 154 lbs without packaging. Joola 15mm tables are listed as 137 lbs on Megaspin, and not sure if they really are lighter or if they just didn't really weigh them.

Quality seems satisfying to me.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 00:34 

The cost of this table was around US$950 including shipping. I've got it from TTPioneers on sale. I do not think this table is a great value for the money. You should be able to get 3/4" tables for much cheaper and they will still be sufficient for the home use, no need to go all out the way I did. i wathed them on: 9Apps VidMate Mobdro
Another thing - it took me and my friend about 4 hours to put the table together. Also, the table comes with the really good quality net.

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 03:11 

BH: straight
Hi guys.I'm lookig for some advice regarding table size.I am converting my garage but dont have a lot of space. If I put in a full size table I will have 1 metre at either side and 1.5 metres behind which is rather tight.Any thoughts on a 3/4 size table. I am not concerned about it messing up my game as I dont play competitively any more. Was more wondering if it is still a similar game and as much fun on the smaller table. Dont think Ive ever played on a small table ?
ANY suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 21:54 

Blade: DHS301
FH: Battle II
BH: AK47 Yellow
gradge wrote:
Hi guys.I'm lookig for some advice regarding table size.I am converting my garage but dont have a lot of space. If I put in a full size table I will have 1 metre at either side and 1.5 metres behind which is rather tight.Any thoughts on a 3/4 size table. I am not concerned about it messing up my game as I dont play competitively any more. Was more wondering if it is still a similar game and as much fun on the smaller table. Dont think Ive ever played on a small table ?
ANY suggestions welcome.

I have my table tennis table installed in a similar space. However, I practice with only table tennis robots. So I just push one end of the table against the wall which leaves me around 3 meters of space behind which is sufficient for drills. That being said space is quite tight you can not practice with a partner.

As per me, 3/4 table would not be impacting your game much. It may actually help your game, alteast it would be easy for you to keep the ball on the table. Just make sure you look for a 15mm+ board.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2019, 18:13 

Blade: DHS H301
FH: Globe 979 Long Pips
BH: DHS Skyline 3-60
kavinjamaes wrote:
gradge wrote:
ANY suggestions welcome.

I have my tennis table installed in a similar space. However, I practice with only table tennis robots. So I just push one end of the table against the wall which leaves me around 3 meters of space behind which is sufficient for drills. That being said space is quite tight you can not practice with a partner.

As per me, 3/4 table would not be impacting your game much. It may actually help your game, alteast it would be easy for you to keep the ball on the table. Just make sure you look for a 15mm+ board.

Personally, I don't think that purchasing a smaller table would be a good idea. Here's my point.
Playing in cramped spaces or on a smaller table will change your playing style and force you to adopt techniques that will severely limit your game. We have a smaller table at home where we often join up for family fun and I always play with my left hand so as to not mess up my technique.
So I think that if you are buying the smaller table to work on your actual game, then don't. If you're certain and you're going to purchase this table just for fun - then it'd be OK.
But as kavinjamaes said, it might be problematic to play with a partner in such space. Tried to do so, as we have pretty small rec room with tennis table in our office. You'll never know would it be comfortable for you without trying first. Guess, if you're not as big as me, then you might be ok, but as for me - it'd be bruises and bad words :D

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 17:45 

Blade: V931-005
FH: Stiga Calibra LT+
BH: TSP Spectol Red
Thank you for useful information and for detailing reviews. This thread was the thing I needed.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 19:12 

Blade: STIGA Carbon Pro
Greetings!

Hope that's OK to start contributing with a question like this one, but I wanted to ask. Unfortunately I don't have enough room for a proper table at home, so I'm looking for an option that can withstand occasional rain and other elements under the cover. Our budget can be flexible, still I am considering a table anywhere around $1000 or less. Which tables, gents, do you use for playing outside? Is there anything else apart from general rules (I'm talking about thickness of the coat) I should consider? As for my level, I'm playing mostly for fun but I enjoy stable tables with good bounce. Maybe you have some recommendations?

Updated: since I've been searching in multiple communities, I also had a look at some pre-used tables and got a nice option from these guys - PPA. Thanks to their consultant, Robert. A very nice outdoor Stiga (XTR) in on it's way to me now. Delivery scheduled on Tuesday, and I can't wait to test a new table with my brother in law.

Glenn

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2022, 17:04 

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango 1.8mm
BH: Tibhar Grass Detecs OX
Hello guys,

I have noticed that even professional tables get wierd bounce and no spin when they are too old. Surface is so slipery ( no grisp) that you dont get spin after bounce. So be aware about used tables and check the surface how is it.

Soba

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2022, 13:04 

Blade: Gewo Flexxon
FH: MXP
BH: Tribhar Evolution EL-S
I dont have enough space to have table tennis inside. some people have it outdoor which is less convenient.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2022, 19:45 

Soba wrote:
Hello guys,

I have noticed that even professional tables get wierd bounce and no spin when they are too old. Surface is so slipery ( no grisp) that you dont get spin after bounce. So be aware about used tables and check the surface how is it.

Soba

Yes, that's for sure. That's how someone wanted to sell me an old table, but it wouldn't spin. I had to turn it down, even though the price was low.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2022, 10:35 

I visited k-sports and tried all the tables a few years back. The xushaofa non-ittf approved tables seemed to be the same as the ittf approved ones, give or take. I ordered the non-approved one, but they didn't have any stock, so they gave me a free upgrade to the ittf approved one. ;)

I paid $399. It's 25mm. Now when I look at the website, the prices have doubled. Wow.

So, a question: When was the last time you visited a club and they had expensive ittf approved tables in perfect condition, perfectly setup and in a good environment? Because really it's a very rare thing. You need to be able to adjust to the ball, room size (psychologically and tactically) and the individual table that you are playing on every time you go to a club.

At my local club we have a dozen or so tables. Some of them are aqua-coloured and make it difficult to track the ball. Some tables get a lot of glare on one side compared to the other, depending on their position in the room and the lighting. Some of them are years old and have way less grip than normal, so the ball skids more when there is a lot of spin on the ball. Some of them have significant chips. When they are set up, I can guarantee that none of them are the regulation height, they would be off a cm or two. The nets are usually either too high or too low, half the nets semi-broken and can't be adjusted properly. The floor isn't perfectly flat and level (I doubt any venue has perfect floors). Half of them slump in the middle, even after maximum adjustment, so the ball slows down and bounces higher than a perfectly flat table. Good for hitters, and good for people who struggle with serve return, as the serves are less vicious on those tables. And this isn't because the club is especially run-down or anything, this is fairly normal for most clubs (I've been to at least half a dozen large and medium sized ones in NSW).

And at other venues they have that cheap red PVA flooring that was never meant for TT, which when you put a table on it, it absorbs energy and the ball bounces 1cm or 2cm lower than it should. :rofl:

So why have an expensive ITTF approved table at home? Whenever you go to a venue, you will be playing on a table with at least one of the issues listed above, even if you do comp (although comp is usually played on the least-rubbish tables - but if there are a lot of comps at a time, they will still need to use older ones.) For club use, a better frame is important because it gets setup and put away several times per week, but for home use you don't need ultra-durable frames.

My suggestion is to get the thickest table that you can afford. Doesn't need to be ittf approved, just needs to behave mostly like you would expect from a club table. Visit the warehouse to test the bounce if you can, like I did.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 14:59 

I hope it's okay to post this question here. I am Sydney.

I have been looking for a table tennis for the fast few months and came across this forum. Budget is $500 and I am having a vary hard time finding a decent one.

I am looking to get an indoor table and use it under my alfresco outdoors. Alfresco size is 7M x 6M. Alfresco has roof on top but open on 2 sides. Some rain does get inside ( but not all the way, just the edges of the alfresco ) when there is heavy winds. If I use a table tennis cover, fold the table upright and cover it up that should be okay right for an indoor table? As long as rain does not touch the table. Would the Sydney heat and cold have too much of an effect on the table?

I have considered the following tables:

https://www.wttc.com.au/home/224-wttc-t ... heels.html

This is an in house brand sold by WTTC Fairfield Tennis club for $388 and 16MM thickness.

https://decathlon.com.au/products/ft-73 ... 6053223535

This one costs brand new $800. But I can get it second hand for around $400 in good condition. This is a 18mm table.

Any other tables I should consider and you guys would recommend on my budget?

There is not lot of places in Sydney that sell tables where you can physically go and take a look.

WorkoutMontage wrote:
I paid $399. It's 25mm. Now when I look at the website, the prices have doubled. Wow.

When did you buy this table?

Getting a 25mm table at that price would be a dream. The Xu Shao Fa 19mm table is currently $650 and 25mm Table non ITTF is $890 and ITTF 25MM is $1000.

I don't know what has happened to table tennis prices recently.

I would greatly appreciate some advice.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2022, 15:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
jim.h wrote:

Covid related issues have increased prices of raw materials (thus table prices) and more dramatically increased pricing of freight (to bring them into Australia), so prices have increased by quite a lot.

I'm not familiar with either of the tables you mentioned above, so i cant' offer any help there. :sweat:
With the 16mm table I'd be a little worried that it might warp over time, while 18mm is probably enough to ensure that it does not warp.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2022, 07:47 

haggisv wrote:
jim.h wrote:

Covid related issues have increased prices of raw materials (thus table prices) and more dramatically increased pricing of freight (to bring them into Australia), so prices have increased by quite a lot.

I'm not familiar with either of the tables you mentioned above, so i cant' offer any help there. :sweat:
With the 16mm table I'd be a little worried that it might warp over time, while 18mm is probably enough to ensure that it does not warp.

Thank you. I will look for 18mm tables or higher.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2022, 17:00 

Blade: Mazuzee
FH: NY
BH: Paro
I'm looking for comments on best value foldup home basement table, decent top and bounce, not tippy when folded, leg levelers a plus, 3/4" top minimum, $500 US +/- say $200. Also, if it met all fishing requirements I'd fix that. Brand and model? Also, what about the Sportcraft Marquis $300+ at Walmart -other forum comments said maybe very decent, but maybe tippy when folded, maybe the bounce isn't really that great, and the name painted across table surface ends might be distracting? This is not for club/pro-level use: just something that gives very decent play, good value ... I hate garbage and it's easy to end up with garbage. I'm a pure novice, but need this for my growing, bouncing boys. If I were rich, I know enough of what I'd buy e.g., Cornilleau 740?? but I'm not, so ... I ask for help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!