OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 23:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 17:51 

Hi guyz,
i'm new to this forum and i need advice/suggestion from professionals for building my custom racket. First i'll explain my style of play.
Playing style:
I have been playing tt for 1.5yrs ( with pips in pre-made rackets ) and i'm aggressive on my forehand + backhand. I can block well on my bh + fh and playing against top spin shots is my favorite on both hands but i'm weak against choops and don't really do chops. I have a good eye contact and working on my footwork. I have been playing with pre-made bats ( Butterfly timo ball 1000 and 2000 series) uptill now but now i can't get much out of them as they can't help me with spin and i fail miserably playing against chop shots.
What i need:
For BH, I want a rubber which can give more control , counter the spin and chop shots.
For FH, i want good speed ( not too much speed ), good control + average spin.
I want to be an aggressive player more than defensive. I have been searching online for rubbers and bats and what features each provide but i need players opinion who can help me with my style of play. If you can suggest a top notch rubber + blade which is more than my skill level, i can upgrade my game and skill to match it ( that's my approach ).

Note. Please give some explanation + the model as i might not get exact model mentioned so i can look for alternatives based on the explanation.

Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 18:10 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Nittaku Barwell Fleet
FH: RITC 802-40 1.8mm
BH: DtecS 0.5mm
Hi Rao, and welcome to the forum!

Where do you live and play?

From your description it sounds like you're a novice player, keen to improve. You mention that you struggle against chops. That's common! In order to overcome backspin you need a fast brushing action to change the spin back into topspin. That requires technique and practice. Realistically you can learn that with any rubber at all, but it makes sense to get something of good quality from a reputable manufacturer, with mid-range specifications.

At this point you could literally pick any manufacturer you like the sound of, or have some affinity for, and get one of their mid-range all-round rubbers.

If you're on a budget, the Chinese rubbers from RITC/729 are excellent value for money. If you want to go for a European or Japanese brand, you're spoiled for choice. Personally I think Spinlord make excellent rubbers at a very good price. These are very popular in central europe / Russia.

For a blade, again, I would go for an allround 5-ply wooden blade. There are lots of choices available, and again, buying from a decent manufacturer, you're not really going to go wrong.

If you want a specific recommendation, I would look at one of the options here:

http://www.japsko.se/en/11-rackets

Japsko are a Swedish outfit, with very deep experience working with some of the top players in the world. They have a good range of stuff, and make it up to order. For starters, you could pick any of the combinations on this page, such as:

http://www.japsko.se/en/rackets/210-jap ... 22mmm.html (€45)

Good luck!

Read my blog: "LordCope's Latest Learnings Log": http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24452

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 18:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If money is an issue (and even if it's not!), and especially if you don't live in Europe, I'd point you towards this store:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/202364

Looking through what they have, it'll be very, very confusing. Here's what I found that works very well. This blade:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 30858.html

and one of these rubbers (get two sheets, of course..).

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 20558.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 79950.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 54641.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 08382.html

It doesn't really matter which one you get, but DO ask them to assemble the bat for you! It'll save a lot of hassle and they'll do it right. There are probably hundreds of other combinations that are as good but this combo WILL work, and be a step up from any of the Butterfly or Tibhar pre-mades. It's not going to help you handle backspin (nothing will, but practice and a coach) but it'll do any offensive shot you want, at any speed and feels very nice doing it, while giving plenty of touch for the over-the-table game.

The good part. All the prices above INCLUDE SHIPPING. It should not cost more than $25 total (for one blade and two sheets of rubber). They'll probably even throw in a couple of rubber protector sheets for free.

Here's the bad part. After you order the bat it'll take a good three weeks to get to you. But the equivalent from European sources will cost 2-3X as much.

(Now he'll probably tell us he plays Japanese penhold... :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 18:40 

i'm novice with the terms used in tt but i'll say i'm an average or below average player. For backspin, my success rate is around 70% with brushing but since the racket i used wasn't that good, so i guess it is still low.
What about hurricane (FH) and tenergy (BH). I know it is better for pro, but if i can adapt to them, my game could quickly jump to a higher level. What do you say ?

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 19:01 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Nittaku Barwell Fleet
FH: RITC 802-40 1.8mm
BH: DtecS 0.5mm
rao wrote:
i'm novice with the terms used in tt but i'll say i'm an average or below average player. For backspin, my success rate is around 70% with brushing but since the racket i used wasn't that good, so i guess it is still low.
What about hurricane (FH) and tenergy (BH). I know it is better for pro, but if i can adapt to them, my game could quickly jump to a higher level. What do you say ?

Most people would advise you to cut your teeth on less advanced rubbers, but it's an open debate.

Read my blog: "LordCope's Latest Learnings Log": http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24452

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 00:58 

Blade: Stiga OC
FH: Sanwei T88-I
BH: Xiom Sigma I Pro
rao wrote:

I think there's nothing wrong with spending a bit for equipment but jumping from using a butterfly hobby bat to a tenergy might not be as beneficial as you think.
If you are really an average or below average player as you say, then you'd appreciate the difference between a Timo boll 1000 hobby bat and a customized bat from eacheng (maybe an allaround Yinhe blade with 729 rubbers).
Also, spinnier rubbers like the Tenergy tend to react more to incoming spin so that'll make your problem with backspin a lot worse.

Bottomline, take Iskandar's and LordCope's suggestions. :rofl:

BH XIOM Sigma I Europe 2mm

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 01:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

rao wrote:

That's what the current Chinese National Team players are fond of... :lol: The Hurricane would be OK, it's slow-ish and easy to control (but it's more expensive than it needs to be). The Tenergy, I think, is the opposite. It "eats" spin (as people here call it) and the spinny balls you were trouble with before will be even harder to deal with! It's also WAY expensive!

I think I forgot to mention - that web site I mentioned is running an app-only sale right now. If you order through your Android you'll save 2-3 bucks out of that $25!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 10:11 
Super User

A good webpage for a player like you. It has a lot of pertinent info, tips, links, etc.

North Little Rock Table Tennis Group at Senior Center on Facebook

Hunter Fire / 4H Xiom Omega IV Elite Max / BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 .. Play Right-handed
Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon LP OX .. Play Left-handed Shakehand
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 14:22 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Appelgren AllplayV1
FH: Donic Baracuda
BH: Xiom Vega Europe DF
Since budget does not appear an issue, if get a good ALL or ALL+ blade and put some Mark V on it it will be a great set up. Something like Yasaka Sweden Classic or Sweden Extra, Stiga Allround Classic, allround evolution or offensive classic, Donic Appelgren Allplay or Waldner Allplay. Butterfly Timo Boll All or All + also ok. Could maybe go a slow tensor rubber or Hurricane.
A cheaper option would be a Yinhe N11, with pro xp and i suspect just as good. At first if money an issue, buy a better blade as rubbers need to be changed after a while, blade can be kept for years.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 18:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LOOPOVER wrote:
A good webpage for a player like you. It has a lot of pertinent info, tips, links, etc.

Got a URL? (I'm curious but I don't Facebook.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 20:36 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:

Got a URL? (I'm curious but I don't Facebook.)

Iskandar

A simple search should work,

For some unknown reason can't get the proper URL for this Webpage using my cell phone. Facebook sign up is free and only takes 5 minutes.

Hunter Fire / 4H Xiom Omega IV Elite Max / BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 .. Play Right-handed
Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon LP OX .. Play Left-handed Shakehand

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 21:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, problem is I created a facebook account years ago but I've forgotten all the login details... :lol: Don't feel inclined to participate.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2016, 23:49 
Super User

On my desktop the URL requested:

https://www.facebook.com/NorthLittleRockTableTennisGroup/

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 01:37 

thanks all of you for your advice. I'm thinking to go with yasaka mark 5 on FH and for sriver for BH. for the blade can you guyz suggest something else than stiga all round or clipper with equal quality and stats coz its real expensive in my country ( around 60$).

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 01:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LOOPOVER wrote:

OK, thanks! Looks like an interesting group.

rao wrote:
thanks all of you for your advice. I'm thinking to go with yasaka mark 5 on FH and for sriver for BH. for the blade can you guyz suggest something else than stiga all round or clipper with equal quality and stats coz its real expensive in my country ( around 60$).

Stiga Clippers are expensive:

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/ ... per-cr-wrb

There's a Copy of Clipper, for less than a third the price:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 14809.html

It's even got the red plies!

and there are those who post on this forum who say they actually prefer the HRT version of the Clipper over the Stiga. I had one at one time, gave it away (about 5 grams too heavy for me - I prefer my N11s).

The Stiga Allround Classic is cheaper than the Stiga Clipper:

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/ ... nd-classic

I have one, it plays OK, a little less crisp on the topspin drives than the N11, a little slower on the loops, just a tiny bit more control on pushes.

Mark V and Sriver are pretty much the same thing, with very minor differences. Remember to get whoever you buy the stuff from to glue the rubbers on for you.

Iskandar