OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dawei Reviews / comments
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 14:31 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Dawei reviews list:

1. Dawei Inspirit, by LawOCG
2. Dawei Wavestone blade, by Speedplay
3. Dawei Saviga 40deg - by Dwie

Last edited by haggisv on 20 Jun 2007, 16:06, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 15:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Dawei Inspirit, by LawOCG

Thread: http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=20

Its the real deal!!! This lastest rubber from Dawei smashes the so called speed barrier of chinese rubbers. Its probably the fastest chinese rubber without a doubt. Its speed is comparable to top notch japanese rubbers, keep reading to find out more!

Everything about this rubber is interesting. straight from the packet you'll know that dawei has done a fine job in marketing the rubber. The topsheet is of top quality, for once it actually looks like a japanese topsheet unlike most rubbers which claim that they are. The new logo done by dawei looks pretty nice as well, its obviously a copy of the butterly high tension series but its nice nevertheless. the sponge on the inspirit is pretty nice as well. Its got a banana yellow tinge to it and appears to be very "grainy". I would say my sheet would have a sponge of around 42 degrees, its firm but very elastic at the same time.

One thing that I liked was that the rubber didnt roll up into a kebab when I took it out of the packet. I had a few sprunfeders before and it was a nightmare to glue them since it took so many layers of glue to flatten them out.

Overall the quality of this rubber is top notch. It looks remarkably alot like bryce when it comes to the topsheet.

ok now onto the playing performance. Please note that I started playing tt with japanese rubbers unlike some people so whenever I say that the rubber is fast ..I really mean its fast. Some people who started off with chinese rubbers think they are fast so yeah. Its just a conficting point of view that Id like to point out. Previously I found that only the higher3/faster3 could come close to euro rubbers in terms of speed, but boy was I wrong ...read on to find out why :)

For hitting and blocking the inspirit is supreme, its so fast that calling it a chinese rubber does not do it justice. When hitting and blocking, you can hit the ball pretty much flat on and you wouldnt have to worry about it topping out or giving you a "Thack" noise. The harder you hit the more it gives. For blocking the inspirit is excellent, blocks are solid, fast and powerful. You can direct the ball to where ever you want with great control.

Pushing and chopping with the inspirit is a tad bit tricky. Its much more easier to control then pure japanese rubber speed demons, but at the same time its harder to control then traditional chinese rubbers. It lies inbetween both worlds, Since the topsheet is grippy( NOT TACKY) pushing short balls and performing drop shots can be done with ease. The only reason why I say that its harder to control then chinese rubbers, is the fact that the topsheet isnt ticky enough to impart heavy spin when playing the short game. Sure you can do all the shots well, but its lacking the spin which is found in stickier sheets.

For looping the inspirit is marvelous. The throw on this rubber is slightly lower then normal. I found that the inspirit is very picky on your technique and your choice of blade. If you loop with a euro sort of salute action, you will find that the inspirit is very fast but lacks abit of spin on the loops. On the other hand if you have a chinese loop where you drive through the ball, the inspirit is blindingly fast and has huge penetration. For both styles its quite effective but the speed difference is clearly noticeable depending on how you loop. Either way the speed and spin on loops would be in the japanese rubber category without a doubt. Counter looping and mid distance play is effortless, whatever you want to do the rubber will follow.

Now onto a few issues. Firstly blade choice, depending on what type of blade you play with the inspirit will give you different impressions. On a hard and stiff blade the rubber is just too fast to be able to do much with the ball. In my opinion the inspirit pairs up the best with 5ply medium hardness blades. For example a stiga offensive or butterfly primorac off-. It also plays completely different with and without speedglue. When not glued up it plays pretty much as close to brycefx as it can get. very nice and solid controlled feeling.

When glued up......its a different story, the rubber explodes and clicks very loud even with a firm sponge. looping is a harmonic bliss to the ears when its glued up. You can expect around a 25% allround boost in speed and spin after glueing up.

Conclusion: A chinese rubber that can challenge japanese rubbers and give them a run for their money. definitely the fastest chinese made rubber out there, the fact that it comes in a wide range of thicknesses up to 2.5mm! I would say that its definitely up there with the best. In my opinion I see this rubber as the japanese equivalent to the highpoint from friendship. Give it a go you wont be dissapointed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Dawei wavestone, by Speedplay

Thread: http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=284

Finally got around to try the Wavestone which JC held in such high regards. Rated at off+ I had my suspisions it wouldn't suit me.

First impression was that it was a cool looking blade, looked like it was high quality. The handle feelt extremly comfortable, probably the handle that suits my hand the best of all the blades I have tried. It also feelt very well balanced.

So, I glued Couga max on Fh and found some old sheet of 802-1 sp 1.8 to use on the bh. Needed plenty of glue to get it to cover the blade, not because of a big blade head but rather because of some failure when cutting the rubber the first time.

For those of you who think this combo would be redicilious fast, yepp, you are right. It was like shooting bolt lightning even from way behind the table. Despite the speed, this blade still feelt very controlled. I would saut hat it's speed is not less then the one of Stiga Optimum+ but the control was superior. Even in the short game it was easy to use and I could chop short, flip and loop close to the table with good control.

Unfortunately, I'm not a short pips player, so my Bh didn't work very well but I'm really looking forward to glue my spinspiel SV 1.5 on this blade. If this works out I might be temted to stick my super block on it as well, cause this blade was nothing short of exellent. I can recommend it to every offensive player out there as it had both speed, control and exellent touch. Given it's low price I would consider this blade a real bargin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 16:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Dawei Saviga 40deg - by Dwie

Thread: http://forum.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=39

Setup:
Blade - Nittaku Acoustic
FH rubber - Dawei Saviga 40 degrees 2.2
BH rubber - Joola Green Energy 2.0
Glue - NONE
Ratings out of 10.

First I have to say I haven't played for a while, so the session started quite bad. Luckily later I got the feeling back and played good again.

Topspin: 9
Also stealing the ratings . Haha no but topspin with this rubber was quite a pleasure. It didn't feel very spinny but my opponent had trouble bringing them back. It had a very nice lowisch arc, kind of like the bryces but I like this better.

Hitting: 6.5
Well I don't do this often but you had to hit with an open bat and with a forward motion because of the low arc. Not used to that though :p.

Smashing: 11
What's with this I can smash with every rubber so I can't feel a difference with other rubbers =/.

Pushing: 7.5
Pushing was ok. It didn't pop up like my Energy GP Max did, so that's a plus. Keeping short was simple. Only thing was pushes weren't very spinny. BTW I give it a 7.5 because I don't like pushing .

Blocking: 7
Never been a good blocker. Blocking was a lot easier with my EGP. Again I had to keep my bat open to get them over the net, and then they still fall down just behind the net. You needed to make a stroke if you wanted to block long.

Serving: 7
I think I am used to serving with EGP max (with was VERY bouncy). Because of this I landed many service in the net. I just have to get used to it though.

Counter driving: 9
Lol this was a piece of cake. Took them right of the bounce and they ALL went on the table!

Feel: 7.5
Well first I found it quite hard, despite it being 40 degrees. After playing with it for a while it felt a bit softer and thus better for me . Also it isn't bouncy, but still very fast on faster strokes, exactly what I was looking for my FH. Doesn't have the tensor feel, also doesn't feel like a glued rubber.

Also my BH was superb today! Except that was EGP not Saviga .