OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 06:41 

Hey all. Im in need of a new bat. I want a lightweight blade with good speed and control. (preferable European) I also want the rubbers to have good spin, speed and control.

The Bat I had in mind was:

Blade: Banda Pegasus FL
FH: Friendship Fenghun 3 2mm
BH: Friendship Geospin tacky 1.8mm

Would this be a good bat for controled loop and drive?

Thanks dafydd393

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 10:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum Dafydd393!

Well you won't a bat with all those characteristics.... I think most of us are looking for those :wink:

I can only comment on the Geospin tacky, since I don't know the others. The Geospin tacky is great for spin and control, but not all that fast especially in 1.8mm. It is also quite light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 11:46 
I am Legend
I am Legend

The pegasus is an allround blade. Pop a sheet of Geospin Tacky 1.8 on it and you've got a slow bat.

I suggest a faster blade. The butterfly Chuan chih yuan is light and in the off- category. Haggisv can tell you about the Stiga Energy wood. There are others too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 12:50 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Ah yes. The Stiga Energy Wood is a nice, light all-wood blade at a good price. Just see if you like the WRB system or if you like a solid handle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007, 15:47 
Heavy Looper

Personally I prefer the Higher III rather than the Fenghun (Faster) III, it has more spin and control and only just loses on speed. It depends what throw angle you prefer, the Higher is (as it says on the pack) higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 12:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Juan King Carlos wrote:
Personally I prefer the Higher III rather than the Fenghun (Faster) III, it has more spin and control and only just loses on speed. It depends what throw angle you prefer, the Higher is (as it says on the pack) higher.

Ahh so that's what the Fenghun means... Cheers JKC!

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 21:47 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I may have some gift money (reimbursement!) coming in sometime soon. If I were to treat myself, which blade/blade and rubber combination would you guys suggest?

I play a close-to-the-table looping style similar to Chuan Chih-Yuan, but a much lower level. :oops: I like to use off-the-bounce blocks and some counterlooping for my defense; loop-drives and smashes as my offense. I'm also comfortable looping about up to 1.5 meters or about up to 6 feet away from the table. I don't speedglue, but I superprime all my rubber sheets.

I currently use a Clipper CR(wrb) with Almana(BH) and Almana Soft(FH). I tried out the Globe 999 Nat on both wings, and found out that the pair was making the bat too head-heavy, albeit the Globe 999 Nat felt great with a good amount of speed, control and spin on the BH.

I was planning on getting one of the faster blades to speed up the Globe 999 Nat pair, but I noticed that most of the faster blades were also heavier than the Clipper CR by 10 grams or so. Also, they were mostly composite blades, and I haven't any experience playing those yet.

I play with straight handles, flared handles feel loose, especially Butterfly flared handles :? I'm trying to lean away from hollow handles so that I'll be able to use heavier rubbers without straining my wrist and forearm too much.

Sorry for the long post, I tried to place as much information as I could. :oops:

Given a US$80 (fair) and a US$120 (expensive) budget, what would you suggest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007, 23:44 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Stiga blades all tend to feel slightly head heavy due to the longer head and the hollow handle (if applicable).

I found butterfly blades to have a better balance - the head is more egg shaped but only something like 2mm shorter. Unfortunately they're more expensive too.

Joola blades are slightly more compact again, and if you buy a blade with a RAG grip, the handles are fat enough.

If you're going to take a dive into the composite side, I suggest staying off carbon laminates for the time being, unless you really want a stiff feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 08:18 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Haven't heard about those differences in manufacturer's blade construction! Thanks Silver.

Hmm, I get my gear from pingpongonline.com, which has predominantly Butterfly, Stiga, Donic, Tibhar products, and then some Yasaka and DHS offerings.

How stiff is stiff? I'm currently using a Clipper CR, which was mentioned to be stiff. Are the carbon blades a lot harder? :?

About the handles, I've tried both Stiga and Butterfly straight handles -- Stiga's has a slightly larger feel for me, yet both seem OK.

I haven't tried Joola blades yet, but from greenpaddle.com (another local distro), they seem to be quite the bargain, with a lot of the offerings running at around less than US$80 each. I haven't tried getting stuff from them, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 09:42 
Super User

My wood is great :wink: . Has a longer handle , doesn't have a hollow handle , I am an atacker and a pusher from both wings . I replaced 999 Nat from my backhand with an euro rubber to have a speedier backhand (I love Persson's kill :wink: ) and I have speed and spin on the forehand. The blade is a little stiff but you get used to it . I have an anatomic handle very confortable and the surface of the blade is magnificent - no splinters at all !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 10:06 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Tibhar Samsonov Carbon -- err, sounds great, but it seems like pingpongonline only stocks it in a flared handle. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 10:15 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Yuzuki wrote:
How stiff is stiff? I'm currently using a Clipper CR, which was mentioned to be stiff. Are the carbon blades a lot harder? :?

To be honest, I didn't think that the clipper was that stiff. Stiff compared to a 5-ply, but nothing compared to a composite.

Yuzuki wrote:
I haven't tried Joola blades yet, but from greenpaddle.com (another local distro), they seem to be quite the bargain, with a lot of the offerings running at around less than US$80 each. I haven't tried getting stuff from them, though...

You can pick up Joola blades from overseas cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 10:19 
Super User

Yuzuki wrote:
Tibhar Samsonov Carbon -- err, sounds great, but it seems like pingpongonline only stocks it in a flared handle. :cry:

The handle is a little longer than other brands , the head is more compact so the balance is ok. Here in Romania was a little cheaper than the rest so I got it even in anatomic handle. For me is good because I have a loose grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2007, 12:55 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Silver wrote:
To be honest, I didn't think that the clipper was that stiff. Stiff compared to a 5-ply, but nothing compared to a composite.

Sounds awfully scary, yet strangely exciting to try. :twisted:

I play with a sorta snug grip -- I had an incident with my racket slipping my hand, hitting a fluorescent, and BOOM.