OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 13:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: My Dream Custom Racquet
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2007, 23:53 
Super User

hmmm....the racquet I ordered hasn't arrived yet and already I'm dreaming up the perfect combination for my racquet no. 2 - gee, I must be an equipment junkie!

Drawing on all the helpful feedback i've been getting on this forum, I've come up with the following setup of blade/rubber that is available on oneofakindtrading and would appreciate any feedback from those more knowledgeable than I - especially if you've used any of these before...

I'll include my reasons for choosing these as well:

BLADE: Juic Air Texa
though I normally stay away from OFF+ blades I am attracted by the fact it's made partially from balsa (which apparently has speed, control, dwell time) and is so damn light (72g).
I don't know if there are other very light balsa-based blades out there which is more ALL with emphasis on spin???

FH: Juic 999 Elite Ultima
Basically I want a tacky high spinning rubber for my forehand so I can work on spin, loopy attacks etc...
Also, I heard this rubber also is soft and has mechanical spin as well...
I want a FH rubber with a bit of bite that can initiate attacks with spin and speed but is also versatile.

BH: Globe 979
Hmmm...as I get older and slower, I'd like to play around with rubbers that are more deceptive, slower and capable of keeping me in matches against younger, stronger, faster opposition. Everything I've read about this long pips rubber is very positive. I especially like the idea of playing around with reverse spin (which I've never used or came across before), and apparently this rubber can attack too.

Now for racquet no.3! d'oh!

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 01:36 
Super User

poor_knight wrote:
BH: Globe 979
Hmmm...as I get older and slower, I'd like to play around with rubbers that are more deceptive, slower and capable of keeping me in matches against younger, stronger, faster opposition. Everything I've read about this long pips rubber is very positive. I especially like the idea of playing around with reverse spin (which I've never used or came across before), and apparently this rubber can attack too.

I note on the online shop there is also a Globe 999 national edition. It doesn't have much description...are these comparable to the 979? better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 03:03 
Super User

979 is a thin, supple, deceptive sheet of long pips. 999 is a very tacky inverted, the national edition having a dense medium sponge. They're not even the same type of rubber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 07:33 

Hey poor_knight if your looking for a light allround blade try the donic cayman, i had one when i used the frictionless pimples, i weighed the blade and it weighed an incredible 55g plus i used pimples with no sponge, you could hardly tell if it was in your hand lol anyway i liked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 09:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Funny you should mention the Cayman, we've just ordered some in, pretty much for the same reasons you mentioned :wink: I'm going to try that one myself I think...I like light blades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 09:24 
Super User

Haggisv

cool...I was just checking for the cayman on your online shop (without success) and was gonna include it in the wishlist forum topic...

It seems the lightest blade I've ever come across, but it doesn't say what material it is from...is it balsa?

Also, it specifically mentions good for pips out...I wonder if it would go okay with my tacky FH rubber - be it Juic 999 Elite Ultima or something similar...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 12:51 
Super User

Hobbes wrote:
979 is a thin, supple, deceptive sheet of long pips. 999 is a very tacky inverted, the national edition having a dense medium sponge. They're not even the same type of rubber.

Thanks for the info Hobbes...
what is better for a spinny tacky offensive forehand rubber do you think?

The Global 999 national edition or the Juic 999 Elite Ultima?
I note the Juic is more expensive but as I always hear, Chinese rubbers are better value for money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:02 
Super User

I found a previous forum thread on Globe 999 national version, and it sounds like it is a bit too firm for European loops. I assume the Juic 999 Elite Ultima would be softer and better suited for this shot.

While I've never had formal instruction in table tennis, my main infuence was this old table tennis book with still photos of European pros doing their ridiculously exaggerated loops and that's how I've modelled my game. So, answering my own question, I probably need something softer than Globe 999 so I might opt for the Juic 999. Except I want something super tacky, and I think I read somewhere Juic 999 was semi-tacky. Hmmmm....what to choose what to choose....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:13 
I am Legend
I am Legend

yep, if it's not glued up to the hilt, the 999 national is harder to loop with than the juic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You'll have to compromise... a super tacky rubber with a soft sponge would be VERY slow, that's why you probabyl won't find many.

The cayman is not in yet, so you won't find it in the shop. I don't think the spect says they are 55g, so benjy just might have got a real light one.
It porbably contains Balsa to make it that light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:21 

I wouldn't go for the National 999 unless you're intending to speed glue it. The rubber is also quite heavy compared to the JUIC. Saying that, the National is a great rubber if you are gluing. The JUIC 999 plays well and is reasonably light and soft, it is quite lively if you use expander as well. It is only semi tacky.

The other rubber you might want to consider is the Higher III

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:32 
Super User

I think I will avoid speed gluing because it will be illegal from 2008 and also because of the increased wear and tear on the rubber.

But can you explain what an 'expander' is? And is this legal?

I couldn't find Higher III in oneofakindtrading online shop...hmm...will do a googl on it.

Cheers
Poor Knight

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:34 
I am Legend
I am Legend

hmmm
Haggisv must be out of Higher III.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 16:44 

Expander is a rubber treatment. From what everyone has been saying it should be legal, it resembles oil.

There is a quite a big thread on it:

http://oneofakindtrading.com.au/forum/v ... .php?t=135

From memory I think LAWOCG did a review on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 18:17 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

poor_knight says:
Quote:
Now for racquet no.3! d'oh!

:evil: you might wanna try anti spin

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!