OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 18:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 61  Next
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 09:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Adham

There's a rumour floating around about the ITTF's connections with a 'gambling business' BWIN and that all the rights to broadcast major table tennis tournaments through the internet have now been "sold" to BWIN.

Can you advice if there's any truth to this, and what (if any) implication there would be on getting the events streamed through the internet?

Thank you!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 09:47 
King of Ping!

Skull wrote:
adham. theres one thing that has been bothering me for a while, at majour tournaments the players wear a bib with thier ranking (or is it seeding?) on the back of their shirts, now when you see other sports they dont wear anything like this. It got me wondering, what is the purpose of the bib? It cant be to help identify the players on TV because you can tell who is who

It has been a long time tradition to have this back-number as an identification of the player for the spectators in the hall. Usually the number on the back would correspond to the name in the event programme. Because of the existing space many organizers sold this space to sponsors, this is still the case. At the Olympic Games where there are no event sponsors, then back numbers are not used, instead the player's name is printed on the back. When all the sponsorship contracts on this space run out, then we will impelment the same as at the Olympic Games.

Last edited by adham on 15 Jun 2009, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 09:48 
King of Ping!

speedplay wrote:
Skull wrote:
adham. theres one thing that has been bothering me for a while, at majour tournaments the players wear a bib with thier ranking (or is it seeding?) on the back of their shirts, now when you see other sports they dont wear anything like this. It got me wondering, what is the purpose of the bib? It cant be to help identify the players on TV because you can tell who is who

I haven't noticed this, but if it is true, I think it is great as this will help the public to understand who is the favourite in the game. Everything that gives info to the public is a good thing according to me.

The current number is the world ranking of the player.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 09:58 
King of Ping!

Martin wrote:
I've bought a SBIF at a time when it was fully authorised by the ITTF. The rubber has a normal friction like all other actual authorised long pimple rubbers...it is not frictionless at all ... I know the difference.
I've paid 35€ for it and I see no point why it should be banned. In my opinion the ITTF has not acted legally in this case. If the rubber was frictionless then the ITTF should not have authorised it at all!

But now again 35€ are lost because the ITTF restricts the rights of the players!

WHO WILL PAY ME BACK THIS MONEY?

I ask you Adham, what are you going to do next?
I'm sick of spending money for rubbers which are forbidden after a year or even after a few months!
Or does the ITTF earn also some money, when players have to buy new rubbers again?

I'm just a little step before quitting my beloved sport...it's no fun anymore!
The ITTF is on a good way to destroy my sport! THANKS A LOT!

The SB rubber is still valid till 30 June 2009. Please get your facts correct. It has been on list 29 (valid as of 1 April 2008) and 29B. List 29B expires on 30 June. SB is no longer authorized as of list 30, which is valid from 1 April 2009 to 31 December 2009. Note that we have a 3 month overlap on lists.

If you think the ITTF acted illegally, then you are wrong. The ITTF has acted legally and totally within its rights. It is the ITTF's right to authorize the use of its logo to manufacturers based on the ITTF's own criteria and its own rules.

The ITTF would actually "lose" money for not providing authorization. The ITTF is paid a yearly flat fee for each authorization, so in the case of SB the ITTF lost that income, but that is not the point. The ITTF does not act based on the income it will make for authorizations. The ITTF must implement its own rules. It does happen that some racket coverings are vaild and meet ITTF rules, and then they are not when tested at a later date. It also happens that a manufacturer may not submit its equipment for authorization.

I am sorry you lost 35 Euros.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 10:00 
King of Ping!

mynamenotbob wrote:
Hi Martin, I understand your frustration (as I have two unopened Insiders and one unopened SBIF myself :x ), but please keep the conversation civil in this thread.

I think the blame for this situation falls on the shoulders of ITTF Equipment Committee Chairman Odd Gustavsen. His email is [email protected]

There is no blame on anyone. Unfortunately this racket covering no longer meets the ITTF's specifications. This happens and I am very sorry for your frustration.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 10:03 
King of Ping!

haggisv wrote:
Adham

There's a rumour floating around about the ITTF's connections with a 'gambling business' BWIN and that all the rights to broadcast major table tennis tournaments through the internet have now been "sold" to BWIN.

Can you advice if there's any truth to this, and what (if any) implication there would be on getting the events streamed through the internet?

Thank you!

The rumour is not correct, the ITTF owns its own rights for all its events and will continue to show them on itTV free of charge for as long as we can afford it. The more people watch itTV the more we can gather statistics and sell the advertising at a higher price. Our commitment is to show on itTV all of our events free of charge in 2009. I hope we can do the same in 2010 and beyond.

I hope you enjoyed the Japan Open that just concluded today. All finals (as well as many other matches) are available on itTV (http://www.ittf.com)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 11:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

adham wrote:
The rumour is not correct, the ITTF owns its own rights for all its events and will continue to show them on itTV free of charge for as long as we can afford it. The more people watch itTV the more we can gather statistics and sell the advertising at a higher price. Our commitment is to show on itTV all of our events free of charge in 2009. I hope we can do the same in 2010 and beyond.

I hope you enjoyed the Japan Open that just concluded today. All finals (as well as many other matches) are available on itTV (http://www.ittf.com)

Thank you for setting the record straight, and I'm very pleased to hear this! I think this has been a major step forwards for the ITTF, and they deserve full credit for this!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 11:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

adham wrote:
There is no blame on anyone. Unfortunately this racket covering no longer meets the ITTF's specifications. This happens and I am very sorry for your frustration.

Unfortunately the public don't have access to all the fact about this, so our assumptions are based only the information we do have.

According to the TTmaster, who posted some of the communication between themselves and the equipment committee, they were notified of the problem that was found with their rubbers, but the equipment comittee could not provide any details of the measurements, nor could they provide information about the equipment or procedure, to enable TTMaster to check the claims themselves and ensure this issue would not arise in future.

Now that the court case is concluded, can you provide any further information on this case?

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 11:22 
King of Ping!

haggisv wrote:
adham wrote:

Unfortunately the public don't have access to all the fact about this, so our assumptions are based only the information we do have.

According to the TTmaster, who posted some of the communication between themselves and the equipment committee, they were notified of the problem that was found with their rubbers, but the equipment comittee could not provide any details of the measurements, nor could they provide information about the equipment or procedure, to enable TTMaster to check the claims themselves and ensure this issue would not arise in future.

Now that the court case is concluded, can you provide any further information on this case?

In fairness to TT-Master, I cannot comment on the court case. All I can say is that TT-Master withdrew the complaint and the ITTF appreciates this gesture. TT-Master will not re-introduce for authorization the 2 racket coverings that will expire on 30 June 2009. The only point that I can add is that TT-Master does not agree with the methods used by the ITTF to test the rubbers. This is their prerogative and I respect their opinion. However, the ITTF methods are not arbitrary and will continue to be used. TT-Master and the ITTF hope to cooperate to avoid any such issues in the future.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 15:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks you for the extra information Adham!

I think it would be great if the testing methods and equipment were totally transparent and made publicly (or at least fully disclosed to the manufacturer). This would prevent future disputes and would allow manufacturers to do their own testing to ensures all their batches comply with the ITTF requirements for approval.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 21:49 
King of Ping!

haggisv wrote:

I think it would be great if the testing methods and equipment were totally transparent and made publicly (or at least fully disclosed to the manufacturer). This would prevent future disputes and would allow manufacturers to do their own testing to ensures all their batches comply with the ITTF requirements for approval.

Yes, this is exactly what we are in the process of doing.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 22:30 
VaMP-ire Killer

adham wrote:
Skull wrote:

It has been a long time tradition to have this back-number as an identification of the player for the spectators in the hall. Usually the number on the back would correspond to the name in the event programme. Because of the existing space many organizers sold this space to sponsors, this is still the case. At the Olympic Games where there are no event sponsors, then back numbers are not used, instead the player's name is printed on the back. When all the sponsorship contracts on this space run out, then we will impelment the same as at the Olympic Games.

wouldn't it be better to get rid of the bibs and just introduce a law where the shirt must have the persons name on the back clear for all to see, including TV coverage? this would get rid of any delays when say a player forgets his bib (it has happened) or when they have to change shirts because of heat/sweat

Set Up: Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 Stiga Calibra LT Sound and Butterfly Tenergy 05FX

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 23:41 
King of Ping!

Skull wrote:
adham wrote:
Skull wrote:

wouldn't it be better to get rid of the bibs and just introduce a law where the shirt must have the persons name on the back clear for all to see, including TV coverage? this would get rid of any delays when say a player forgets his bib (it has happened) or when they have to change shirts because of heat/sweat

As I said: When all the sponsorship contracts on this space run out, then we will implement the same system as at the Olympic Games (as you mentioned).

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 23:52 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

adham wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Yes, this is exactly what we are in the process of doing.

Very pleased to hear this, great news!

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 02:17 

adham wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Adham

Thank you!

itTV is a really good move, I have got into the habit of checking whenever there is an event. There were a lot of choppers in the Japan Open, so it was great to watch. :D

However it needs commentary!
Do you think in general commentary should be technical in nature, or more `popular'?

I believe the beauty in table tennis is in the details - at least this is what makes it attractive to me, subtle changes in technique, pace and spin with disguised serves, topspins, chops etc. I think table tennis needs good educated commentary with good explanation of what is going on to attract new fans. For instance the translations here http://home.covad.net/~chunglau/ttindex.htm of a Chinese TT magazine are a joy to read because they cover more than the trivialities such as mental approach and discussion of styles and tactics. We need more of this in English!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 914 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 61  Next