OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 12:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Matsushita Pro Special
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2009, 02:20 

Hello,
i was thinking of swiching to Pro Special from Cayman but am not quite sure if its a good idea. I would still play with lp ox on bh and something like Skyline tg2 on fh. Considering its not a cheap blade i dont wont to make a mistake. I'm looking for more control and ability to spin on the fh. So, anyone who has some info or who played with it,please post some thoughts about weight, speed, and control.....
Thanks a lot!!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 00:39 

So,really nobody played with it? Well i guess it's not that good than...

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 02:43 
The Artist
The Artist

I am sure quite a few has played with it, but I guess your post drowned among the other threads. Wait until after the weekend and see if answers it. Some weeks people post more midweek from work when it is slow and there is nothing better to do :P

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 03:08 

Thanks for the reply! :D

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 06:18 

brabhamista wrote:
I am sure quite a few has played with it, but I guess your post drowned among the other threads. Wait until after the weekend and see if answers it. Some weeks people post more midweek from work when it is slow and there is nothing better to do :P

That is so true. Right now it is 4PM and the day is dragging at work.

The Matsushita Pro Special is a really good blade for a chopper who are also looking for some offense on their FH. I have never used a Cayman so I cannot compare. But, speed wise it is definitely fast(for a defensive blade), very controlled with good response and a soft feeling. Tried it with Milky Way 955 OX, Meteor 8512 OX and Bty FLIII 1.3. Plays good on both OX and sponged LPs. However, IMHO I would pick a softer sponge LP to take some of that speed off if you're not used to it. Not sure if it is good for blocking as I don't but it's perfect for chopping. I friend of mine who plays with Bty TBS with T64 compared it to mine with T64 and said it was almost the same speed-wise, maybe slightly slower but very good for controlled looping. It has a semi-large head and weighs in around 95, but if you are playing LP OX it shouldn't be that bad. Straight handle feels nice in your palm and promotes easy twiddling. If you think it is too expensive then you can try the Pro Model which is similar but lacks the Carbon-Arylate layer and is also lighter by 7-8 gms.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 07:29 

That sounds very good, kind of what i was thinking. The Pro model was out of the picture as i thought it would be to slow and the handle to small....Do you think T64 is the best option for FH. If the feel of the blade is soft shouldn't it be better to pair it with something harder, or am i wrong? I would probably get it in FL cause i don't twiddle that much. How do you find block on the FH? I think i'll stay on the Cayman until my half season is over and then definitely try Pro Special. If you decide to sell it or know someone who does, please let me know :D .
Thank you.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2009, 23:07 

I don't know what kind of a game you have to make a suggestion for a FH rubber. It is definitely a softer blade but not by a lot. The Joo Se Hyuk is only slightly harder than it IMHO. The T64 is not very soft but good enough for the blade to loop close and away from the table and what I really like is the flat hitting and smashing ability, which is about 60% of my FH game. What is really nice is that inspite of it being pretty fast it has great response and touch which is incredibly useful if you chop and push a lot too. Blocking close to the table was good but as I kept moving away it was getting tougher. Sticking my paddle out will just not cut it out. I just got done playing with the T64 for 2 months and now I am planning to try a couple of new rubbers like Palio Macro Era 47.5 Deg, Andro Roxon 470, Stiga Boost TP and DHS Hurricane 3 Neo. You may be right, I might just be looking for a harder sponge. BTW, what do you not like about your Cayman? It will be a big change in weight (~30gms) when you go from the Cayman to the MPS.

Yes, this blade is a little bit overpriced but looking at other defensive blades out there, it is definitely the cream of the crop provided you are looking for some OOMPH on your FH and play a modern defensive game. The best think about it is that it has a very solid feel and construction. FYI I don't think it comes in a flared handle at least here in the US. I liked it so much that I now have 2 of these. I too am gonna hold on to this for a month or so till the season end and then my search for a perfect paddle will begin again. If you want to buy it, PM me.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2009, 00:18 

I can't say that i don't like the Cayman blade, its just that i want to try something else. Gain in weight might be just what i was looking for, cause with my current setup it seams just toooo light. Only thing i'm not still sure if the speed would be increased or lost. I'm very interested to try it and see how it goes. I mostly block with LP close to the table, hope that would work ok...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 17:13 

I wonder about this blade.. I've always had the best feel and placement/control with my 3-ply willow Willtria blade. The MPS is intriguing because it also is 3-ply willow, but with arylate and carbon added. The extra speed could be useful for the forehand, but I don't know to what degree the difference would be and how much or what I would lose in the trade-off.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The MatsushitaPro Special has great attacking capabilities. I am not a defender, but had a hit with one for awhile just for fun and it really has a nice feel for a forehand loop. It is a great blade I suspect for a modern defender.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 06:55 

Sounds like we have the same game Metallikviper. You're right about the T64. By far my favorite FH rubber.

Right now Im using the CWX and I like it, although the nagging voice in the back of my head keeps telling me I should try the Matsushita Pro Special and the Vioncello. Oh the angst! If I could just have a quick 10 to 15 minutes go with these all side by side!!

dino if you go with the MPS give a report on what you think.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 16:29 

Reviewer: 1597, athletic, style closest to Modern Defense with a little all around play mixed in
Previous Equipment: Willtria 3-ply Willow (compared to MPS which is 3-ply Willow plus A/C). Same rubbers (Outlaw 2.2, D.Tecs on 0.7)

Thoughts after two lengthy sessions:

I bought a 95g FL MPS, which is certainly heavy but fairly reasonable for the blade (iruiru had a 103g ST in stock as well - yuck). Before my new Outlaw 2.2 sheet arrived I slapped on some Macro Era 47 2.1 I had laying around to go with my 0.7 LP and the combination felt a little too unwieldy for me. The handle is on the thin side and not very weighty, making it at least a little head heavy if not far too much depending on what you use (coming from someone who is used to this kind of setup, at a slightly lower overall weight). I think you should get the lightest blade you can find and stick the lightest rubbers you are comfortable using on it. Hitting it against a board+wall gave me the impression I would not like it - certainly a faster (all-around? not really - more on that later) blade so the FH felt nice but I wasn't sure the control would be there for the BH. I didn't bother using the PMA and waited for Outlaw, which when put together felt lighter and like something I could use.

In actual play, I found the FH to be nice as expected and then some. The blade has a nice large sweet spot due to the A/C and is very low on unnecessary vibrations (and without actual play I might have said feel or overall feedback of any kind too). I am liking this a lot though as it feels great in play and doesn't give you any harsh feedback when swinging away - I would summarize it by saying it feels very "smooth" to use, and it has nice touch and control so somehow the feel is there. The blade doesn't really deaden pace that I can tell (but I am coming from a slower setup so this is hard to gauge - maybe it might but as much?) making offense, particularly from distance, much easier and more natural. Despite the speed bump the control is right there (if not better due to ease of speed from any distance); I don't feel like I am losing anything.

Surprise #1: If it is faster and doesn't kill pace, why haven't I lost anything on my BH? After a little time to adjust my BH chopping (and blocking and returning underspin) is exactly what it was (I dare say like with the FH, a little more speed might even make it easier getting the ball back from far distance, even with a chop). Control again feels nice here.

(Extreme) Surprise #2: If the FH is faster and so nice for offense, why can I all of a sudden FH chop so (relatively) consistently? I'm basically picking my spots on FH, chopping or looping at will (..or what the ball requires). Very nice surprise here.

The blade just feels very dynamic. I don't know if that means that the core is bouncy but the outer piles are soft (this part is certainly true anyway..) and slow or what, but faster shots are easy and effective as expected, and slower defensive and/or reactive shots like chopping and passive blocking are surprisingly nice too. The blade just seems to play along with whatever I want to do. Very pleased so far.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 17:00 

I did not like this blade ... But that was me ... :cheese:

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 09:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am guessing the extra weight is what is helping your forehand chopping, forcing you to slow down your stroke a little.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2009, 11:06 

Melarimsa wrote:
I did not like this blade ... But that was me ... :cheese:

Care to explain why? Because a lot of true defenders don't seem to like this blade. I think this blade feels great for chopping and has more than enough firepower on the forehand. Also compared to Balsa blades it does not generate as much as the funky LP effect and there is like a 30 gram difference in weight. But then again the control when chopping down heavy loopers is amazing.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!