OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: new penholder frames
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007, 05:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I just looked at the homepage of Friendship 729 and saw that they offer at least two offensive penholder frames I didn't know of: higher and faster (see http://www.729sports.com/shop/index.php ... goodsid=57, and http://www.729sports.com/shop/index.php ... goodsid=54). Does anyone know these frames?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007, 09:08 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That's interesting, I had not see that site...

I'm not so sure that's actually the homepage of 729 though... it could be a 729 retailer within China.

Yes these blades have been around for a few years. We have asked 729 about them a few times, but they tell us they have some problems with weight and consistancy, and until they are sorted out, they will not sell them to the export market.

I believe one of them is actually the same as the '729 Will Power', I think it's the 'faster' blade.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007, 17:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

One of my sons (he is 12 y) pointed out to me that the "2008" on these blades has interlinked zero's, which must refer to the Olympics in 2008, Beijjing (he spotted that the moment he laid eyes on the thing, putting to shame his ignorant, ignorant dad, yes...). One would expect 729 to have them sorted out and put right before that, maybe somewhere this year. There is an allround frame in this series , too. I hope there will be more variation in penholder blades coming up. They should produce a penholder version of the Black Whirlwind, for instance, which they rate as defensive. I would love to try that one out.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007, 19:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The 2008 series does seem to be exported; at any rate, some of the frames are for sale at an American shop (http://www.gotabletennis.com/SearchResults.asp). Not available in penhold grip, by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007, 21:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Actually a lot of blades ARE available in pengrip, but because there is so little demand for it, many places don't stock it. The blackwhirlwind is probably available in pengrip...

Oh, just because some shops, like the one you mentioned, sells those items, does not mean that they are export models. Many places have contact in China, or have a deal with a chinese retailer, and get their products that way...

The '2008 range' is simply a marketing thing, since these blades have been around for quite a while... Same with the rubbers...

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2007, 23:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

OK, thanks. Trade must be a complicated thing. And too bad that so few of us prefer a penholder grip. I certainly can recommend it to anyone who loves to play with a lot of touch on the ball. All of you, try writing holding your pen in your fist sometime (for that is what you do when you play with a shakehand grip), and you will instantlyknow what I mean. :wink: