OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 21:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 156  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 20:31 

I'm a embedded software engineer to be precise :lol: . I'm guessing there's tonnes of engineers here heh. I just graduated 2 1/2 years ago from uni :D

Butterfly ??? PH Blade with 729 Hero 2.0 Black on FH, 755 OX Red on RPB. [Broken]

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 06:24 

Hello,

Not sure how active this post is. I just found it. Anyway, table tennis was a big thing for me when I was growing up in Asia. Although I don't get to play much now that I'm older, I do whenever I get a chance. I am also the owner of a ecommerce store that specialize in table tennis conversion tops.

Good luck everyone with your playing.

Alex

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 06:29 

Good read wooble wooble! That whole being honest with oneself thing is very refreshing!
We are all on our way!
I've tried & can play with med pips.
Long pips... don't much care for them but do not mind playing against them!
:lol:

btw I just got done with a long stretch playing a Stiga Allround NCT
I may try the Offensive yet!

Good Day & Good hitting to all
:)

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 08:29 

Hey, my name is Brian. ^_^
I live in New York City and started Table Tennis when I was twelve, I just turned thirteen 3 days ago ^^. I've been playing for two months and lately, I've been taking the sport very seriously and want to continue participating in the sport throughout my adolescence and adulthood. I am playing with a premade racket and plan to have a custom one around November of 2010. I'm an offensive player and can barely perform defensive strokes. I have no coach, unfortunately. Although an old Chinese man does give me a few pieces of advice whenever I play at a recreational club downtown with him.

Nittaku Violin/ BH: Tenergy 64 / FH: Hurricane 3 National 38deg
Experimenting with weird combinations... And I may find a permanent setup.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 09:15 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

rubixmaster85 wrote:
I live in New York City and started Table Tennis when I was twelve, I just turned thirteen 3 days ago ^^. I've been playing for two months and lately, I've been taking the sport very seriously and want to continue participating in the sport throughout my adolescence and adulthood. I am playing with a premade racket and plan to have a custom one around November of 2010. I'm an offensive player and can barely perform defensive strokes. I have no coach, unfortunately. Although an old Chinese man does give me a few pieces of advice whenever I play at a recreational club downtown with him.

welcome Brian,

two things get as much advice from your friend as possible, and 2nd thing don't worry about the defensive strokes untill you have developed more. (its easier to learn less strokes and practice those shots than rather than trying to learn too many different ones)
cheers

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 11:45 

Thanks heimdall. Can't say I enjoy the reaching the destination as I'm not there yet but thoroughly enjoying the journey trying to get there. :party:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 16:45 

rubixmaster85 wrote:

Defensive strokes will come naturally with experience and more play time. Just get a training partner who's willing to train basic strokes with you consistently (even 10 mins on each type stroke would be good enough :) ).

Learn a stroke at a time. By a 1-2 months later, you'll be surprised over your own progress if you don't take things too rushed.

And of course, remember to practise your serves as well! :up:

Butterfly ??? PH Blade with 729 Hero 2.0 Black on FH, 755 OX Red on RPB. [Broken]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 07:29 

hongaun wrote:
rubixmaster85 wrote:

Defensive strokes will come naturally with experience and more play time. Just get a training partner who's willing to train basic strokes with you consistently (even 10 mins on each type stroke would be good enough :) ).

Learn a stroke at a time. By a 1-2 months later, you'll be surprised over your own progress if you don't take things too rushed.

I haven't been getting around to practicing defensive strokes, actually xP However, I spent about 15 hours of practicing on a short backspin serve. Thanks speedplay for the website and tips; I'm planning to buy 729 blade and rubbers in the fall after my premade bat doesnt have any grip in the rubber left. AND, my premade bat wasn't THAT bad, it's at least good enough to play competitively, BTY Flextra 2.0mm both sides. Also, thanks, rodderz.

Nittaku Violin/ BH: Tenergy 64 / FH: Hurricane 3 National 38deg
Experimenting with weird combinations... And I may find a permanent setup.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 11:05 

rubixmaster85 wrote:
hongaun wrote:
rubixmaster85 wrote:

I haven't been getting around to practicing defensive strokes, actually xP However, I spent about 15 hours of practicing on a short backspin serve. Thanks speedplay for the website and tips; I'm planning to buy 729 blade and rubbers in the fall after my premade bat doesnt have any grip in the rubber left. AND, my premade bat wasn't THAT bad, it's at least good enough to play competitively, BTY Flextra 2.0mm both sides. Also, thanks, rodderz.

That's actually a pretty decent pre-made bat, with Flextra on both sides. 729 stuff will be a good, cheap equipment to learn the strokes. If you're unsure of which 729 rubber to go, just go for 729 FX. There are just too many types of 729 rubbers out there.

To me, you should learn the following in order (assuming u are shake hand),

1. Forehand Counter-hit
2. Backhand Counter-hit
3. Forehand Push/Block
4. Back Push/Block
5. Forehand Drive (for mid-range purposes)
6. Backhand Drive
7. Footwork. Practise Backhand Push/Block and Forehand Counter-hit stroke alternately in the same rally.
8. Forehand Loop
9. Forehand Lob (put lobs in lower priority if you're going to an attacking game)
10. Backhand Lob
11. Backhand Loop

And of course, you should always train your serves in every training drill. Better if in the beginning.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 11:02 
The Wood Magician

Hi Folks,
My name is Ross, I live in Ohio, and at 46 I'm getting a late start into this sport/pastime/obsession. I enjoyed playing recreationally way back in high school, but haven't played much since then until just the last couple of months. A friend at work who competes got me re-interested after I offered to take a stab at making a custom paddle for him. In exchange, he's been coaching me on the table at work to get me moving in the right direction. So, I have no style :oops: yet, I'm just happy to return the ball on occasion. But, I'm making progress.

During my day job, I do software development, and in my spare time, like a true engineer, I sometimes do more software development. I also enjoy woodworking, which during the last decade has been manifested as wood-strip kayak projects. Recently, I've been making a handful of TT paddles, knowing full well that I don't have the background or experience in the sport to truly understand all of the engineering that goes into paddle making. I've been enjoying myself nonetheless. Ian Worz has been kind enough to answer a few questions for me on paddle making, which I think is incredibly generous. He pointed me towards this forum, as well. (Thanks, Ian.)

Perhaps I could tap the cumulative knowledge of the group to answer a question for me? (moderator - if this should be posted elsewhere, I'd be happy to re-post in another forum.) While I'm far from being in a competition myself, my friend for whom I've made some paddles does compete in ITTF sanctioned events. It would really stink if I made him a paddle that would be disallowed. I understand about the 85% wood rule, but I could find nowhere in the handbook that discussed verifiability. On my recent balsa/mahogany 5 ply, I applied an ash veneer along the entire perimeter to protect the fragile balsa, which totally obscures the layers (shown below). Would a paddle like this be allowed?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Ross

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 12:35 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Ross,
I have made blades just like you with the strip around the edge. I have not had any complaints but it might be different at the nats or other big tourney. I have never heard of anybody haveing to remove the edge tape so it could be checked either.
Did you use the iron on wood strips? (Hot melt glue)

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 14:32 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Welcome to the forum Ross!

Yes if you posted the same thing in the blades section, you might get more answers.

A few manufacturers (eg Cornilleau) actually use this technique as well, so I'm quite confident it's legal.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 22:13 
The Wood Magician

hookshot wrote:
Hi Ross,
I have made blades just like you with the strip around the edge. I have not had any complaints but it might be different at the nats or other big tourney. I have never heard of anybody haveing to remove the edge tape so it could be checked either.
Did you use the iron on wood strips? (Hot melt glue)

Great, thanks for the info. The edge banding is 1/16" ash veneer that I cut to width and glued on with veneer glue.

haggisv wrote:
Welcome to the forum Ross!

Yes if you posted the same thing in the blades section, you might get more answers.

A few manufacturers (eg Cornilleau) actually use this technique as well, so I'm quite confident it's legal.

Thank you - that's good to hear.

Ross

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 20:31 

hi..I don't why my first account is deleted...just want to know why this happen to me... :envy:

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 21:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dornenglanz OX
ontario23 wrote:
hi..I don't why my first account is deleted...just want to know why this happen to me... :envy:

I'm sorry to hear that ontario23. If you can tell me the username of your first account I might be able to find out. We've had a lot of spam problems lately, so we've had to be strict to keep this forum clean and organised, and it's possible your account may have been disabled by mistake. I can assure you this is a rare occurance. Otherwise it may have been related to your post content or inappropriate links in your post or signature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 156  Next