OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Def+ / All- Blade help
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 04:21 

I'm pretty confused about what blade properties I need for my game so I was hoping some experts here could help me out.

I'm mainly push/block with backhand, and attack underspin and weak balls with BH med or long pips and FH loop/smash. I rarely play more than 2-3 feet from the table unless I'm receiving a smash. I play Mark V 1.5mm on the FH.

First I was using a Donic Walder Senso V2 (speed 78). This was very close to what I'm looking for but too springy/fast to control my BH push/blocks. Was great for my FH though. Then I switched to a Tibhar Defense Plus (speed 59) which was great for my BH pushes, but I can no longer generate any pace on my FH against slow balls.

I think I need a faster Def+ or an All- blade, something a little less springy than the V2 and probably just a little slower? Something that plays BH long pips well and also fast enough to finish off a point with. I can't afford to buy 5 more blades and try them all out, so I wanted to get some opinions first.

I was looking at:
TSP Reflex Defense
Andro Fibercomp Def
BTY Grubba Pro
Galaxy DE-1
Dawei GTS Carbon
Juic Bamboo Chop
any others???

Any opinions on these for me or any recommendations? Does anyone play similar strokes well with these blades and with med/long pips on their BH? Thanks.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 05:18 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Hi,
yes i have a similar style to you, i finally settled on the Andro fibrecomp for 2 set-ups and the Hallmark Aurora for 2 set-ups, this has a faster f/h and slower b/h and is lighter!. Depending on who i play dictates which set-up i use or change to accordingly.

I use the TibDef+ too, i found that the LKT Pro XT, was a great rubber for the f/h, it has a quite springy sponge, also 729 Lightening!

I use mostly 8512 Meteor in ox or 0.5mm def, a nice slow rubber.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 05:24 
Super User

Hello Bogart45,

I'm playing the same style.

I think that you have to choose a ALL blade with speed as the Stiga Allround Classic or a bit faster.

The Galaxy DE-1 and the Andro Fibercomp are too slow, in my opinion.

You could try the Stiga Allround Classic ou Allround Evolution.

I'm using a great blade, the Ulmo Duality. This blade have amazing control and is really perfect for my push/block/hitting game.

Blade: Dotec Ovtcharov All +

FH: Friendship 802-40 2mm
BH: DMS Transformer 1mm

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 05:26 
Super User

Robot Blocker wrote:
Hi,
yes i have a similar style to you, i finally settled on the Andro fibrecomp for 2 set-ups and the Hallmark Aurora for 2 set-ups, this has a faster f/h and slower b/h and is lighter!. Depending on who i play dictates which set-up i use or change to accordingly.

I use the TibDef+ too, i found that the LKT Pro XT, was a great rubber for the f/h, it has a quite springy sponge, also 729 Lightening!

Aurora and Fibercomp are very different blades. The Aurora is a lot faster and springy.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 05:31 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

Capoblanco wrote:
Robot Blocker wrote:
Hi,

Aurora and Fibercomp are very different blades. The Aurora is a lot faster and springy.

After using extensively, i would say the Aurora f/h side is the b/h side is about same speed as the Andro FC

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 06:59 

Thanks.

RB, what type of opponent do you use the Fibercomp with? I'm more of a beginner 1100-1200 level so maybe that makes a difference. I don't need blazing speed and I don't get into counterlooping. Just need to put away those easy slow balls on the FH side.

Do you think the speed rating is accurate at 75? If so, this might work well for me since it is a little slower and is stiffer than the V2.

Capo, I'll take a look at the Stiga blades you mentioned.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 08:24 
Super User

Robot Blocker wrote:
After using extensively, i would say the Aurora f/h side is the b/h side is about same speed as the Andro FC

My opinion is completely different. The Aurora is ALL/ALL+ when the Fibercomp is really DEF. And the Fibercomp is also a lot softer.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 08:46 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I would probably see to change the forehand rubber instead of the blade: you mentioned that it was great for backhand, and the only complaint on the forehand is speed, but not feeling or control.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 10:32 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
Why not try MarkV in thicker sponge on the forehand for more speed or just go for a faster rubber like Sriver also in thicker sponge. I could have suggested something much faster but you might not want a huge jump in speed. Sriver will give you slightly more speed and a bit less spin.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 15:37 

Yuzuki wrote:
I would probably see to change the forehand rubber instead of the blade: you mentioned that it was great for backhand, and the only complaint on the forehand is speed, but not feeling or control.

That is true and is a good point. I'll have to think about this because on the BH I can generate enough power with the Tibhar Def+, just not on the FH.

Ranger-man wrote:
Why not try MarkV in thicker sponge on the forehand for more speed or just go for a faster rubber like Sriver also in thicker sponge. I could have suggested something much faster but you might not want a huge jump in speed. Sriver will give you slightly more speed and a bit less spin.

I also chop alot with my FH and I thought that if you do that you should stick to rubbers 1.5mm or less. Is this right? Also I like the feel of 1.5mm and I think I need that since I'm more of a beginner. Maybe a thicker sponge is worth a try though. I think I might need something a little faster than Sriver though, because the speed is not even close to what I'm looking for with the Mark V. If you can recommend something that's cheap I'd be willing to try it. Maybe something from Cole's site.

I'll have to check out the rubbers RB suggested also.

Thanks.

Last edited by Bogart45 on 28 Apr 2010, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 15:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
stiga allround classic will let you do everything you have asked,with better offence possibility,please note this blade needs to be sealed.very similar with tighter woodgrains is cito fitter allround,which i am about to try myself,i am looking for more stability on blocks as the def blade i am using has a little too much elasticity

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 17:10 

dazzler wrote:
stiga allround classic will let you do everything you have asked,with better offence possibility,please note this blade needs to be sealed.very similar with tighter woodgrains is cito fitter allround,which i am about to try myself,i am looking for more stability on blocks as the def blade i am using has a little too much elasticity

Thanks. You are the 2nd person to recommend this blade. I checked it out and I agree it seems to fit what I'm looking for and it is pretty cheap too. Have you tried a LP on this blade?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 23:14 

my personal opinion is that for LP it's better to get an over sized blade, try the andro fibercomp, matsushita pro special, or best of the best Nittaku Shake Defence. With allround blades you might find the speed of the blade to be to big for LPs.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 01:19 
Super User

k_adrian wrote:
my personal opinion is that for LP it's better to get an over sized blade, try the andro fibercomp, matsushita pro special, or best of the best Nittaku Shake Defence. With allround blades you might find the speed of the blade to be to big for LPs.

Oversized blades are nice for a away from the table blade, but a normal size blade is better for playing at the table.
The speed of a DEF blade is not necessary lower than a ALL blade. The Nittaku Shake DEF is a very fast DEF blade, as the Joo See Hyuck. This blades are faster than a lot of ALL blades as the Stiga Allround Classic.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2010, 07:56 
Dances with Spammers
Dances with Spammers

Blade: Darker Speed 90 Jpen
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL
If you want something noticeably faster than Mark V then go for the Inspirit Quattro, Ultralight in 2.0 mm sponge in 40 degree hardness. It will be tacky and will have a lot of spin and also react a lot to incoming spin, but it is a good control rubber and the tackiness will wear off in about 2-3 weeks. And you can get this from Cole, as you asked. And in fact, if you want a faster blade but one with good control, get the M6 and pair it up with the IQUL. But I still say, first get a faster rubber, and then see if you still want more speed.

Local Press Club (Journalists) Champion

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!!!!
http://xtrariter.blogspot.com