OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 15:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Please list the water based glues you've used, and what you DO and DON'T like about them. I will summarise the comments in this first post, which will hopefully make a handy reference. Give the glue a score based on how good you think it is AND how it's value for money.

Butterfly Free Chack Glue, 90mL
It looks like liquid latex. Longer drying time in exchange for a silky-smooth application.
  • Bond seems relatively weak, not enough for domed rubber. Hitting the table tends to lift some rubber -- then again, with almost any glue, that would happen as well.
  • Very easy to spread.
  • Easy to know if the area has glue or not: white is fresh glue, translucent is dry-tacky glue. In thick amounts, dry glue would be white also.
  • Easy to clean off the blade, but not the sponge.
  • Relatively slower drying time, fresh air speeds things up!
  • Relatively expensive compared to the Donic offering.
  • Some weird stinky smell.

Dandoy glue
It was 10 euros for 100 ml, and I'm not to happy with it.
Pros:
* bond is quite good, but only for flat rubbers. Domed ones are doomed to fail.
* easy to spread, bit to easy maybe :rofl:
Cons:
*When you remove the rubber, the glue remains on the blade, and is very difficult to remove
*Drying time is a bit weird. On the package it doesn't have the right drying time. It's about half. Rubber and blade dry on a very different rate.
* Because it's easy to spread it just falls of domed rubbers :headbang:
Because of the glue remaining on the blade I don't use it anymore. :)

DHS No 15 50ml
Pros: Cheap, spreads easily, easily removable
Cons: Some bad batches around, rub too hard and the glue solidifies, not strong enough to hold a dome.
Score: 8/10

DHS No.15 Glue, 98mL
Pasty consistency. Almost dry. I may have gotten a bad batch.
  • Bond seems relatively better than most, enough for domed rubber, I would tend to think.
  • Not easy to spread.
  • Easy to know if the area has glue or not: white is fresh glue, translucent yellow is dry-tacky glue. In thick amounts, dry glue would be translucent yellow.
  • Easy to clean.
  • Relatively fast drying time; maybe too fast.
  • Relatively cheap compared to the Donic/Butterfly/Stiga offering.
  • No free sponges?

Donic Vario Clean Glue, 90mL
A thinner glue than the Butterfly Free Chack. Still very adequate for most jobs -- it's the glue I used to attach pip topsheet and sponge together, it's fantastic for that purpose.
  • Bond seems relatively weak, not enough for domed rubber. Hitting the table tends to lift some rubber -- then again, with almost any glue, that would happen as well.
  • Very easy to spread.
  • Easy to know if the area has glue or not: white is fresh glue, translucent is dry-tacky glue. In thick amounts, dry glue would be white also.
  • Relatively cheaper compared to the Butterfly/Stiga offerings.
  • No strong weird stinky smell.
Haven't tried the other glues, but I definitely prefer an easy-spread, thinner glue, because I don't play with domed rubbers nowadays.

Fullers Ultraclear Water-based silicon. 300g tube (available hardware stores)
Pros:very cheap, don't need much and spread easily, the more used the stronger the bond for domes (also can be a con), bond is immediate for play, can also tile the bathroom with it LOL
Cons:Leaves a gummy residue on blade that takes a bit to remove, if sponge is flimsy and too much is used it will rip when removing (only had this happen badly once on Bty Flextra sponge). Can lift splinters on some blades as most water-base glues can.

Haifu water solubility bond 300ml (as printed on the blue bottle)
Pros:Comparatively economical;
Cylindrical applier made of sponge(like a paint roller that doesn't roll) is relatively easy and fun to work with;
Looks like a thin-down version of Elmer's glue, easy to differentiate blade from glue
Cons:
3-month shelf life after opening(still good after that but the glue part tends to settle to the bottom, give a good stir and it is all fine);
Residues build up on the applier after some usage(cleaning after each use is strongly recommended);
Early batches come with a brush instead and was not-as-easy to put on thin and even spreads;
Have a hair-dryer handy, 1 min or so to dry with it, 5 mins or more otherwise;
Bottle instruction says 4-10 layers on sponge, I say 2-3 layers rather. 1 layer on blade as instructed is good enough. This stuff gets really thick after a few layers;
Strong smell comparable to VOC glue;
As with many water-based glues, splinters warning!
Edit: So far no problem with bond
Score: 6/10

KOKUTAKU (Tulpe) VOC FREE GLUE:
Pros: Stays on blade for long pimple ox, Strong bond rubber doesn`t detach.
Cons: Can lift up plies on some blades when removing rubber where the plies are not tight,blade must be sealed.thinner lp ox rubber might tear when removing.no good for sponged rubbers,pieces of sponge left on blade when removing rubber.difficult to remove from blade.
in a nutshell if you use a thicker base lp ox it`s ideal which is great for me just now.
Score:

Stiga Attach Power Glue, 50mL
It's like a thinner version of the DHS No.15 glue, or a thicker version of Butterfly Free Chack, or Donic Vario Clean. It seems to set in far too quickly for my taste, very unlike Donic's or Butterfly's offering. I'm not very happy (again!), so I will skip this glue in the future.
  • Bond seems relatively good, not enough for domed rubber I suppose.
  • Not easy to spread.
  • Easy to clean. Peels off the sponge nicely.
  • Relatively expensive compared to the Donic/Butterfly/DHS offering.
  • No free sponges?

Yasaka Mizunori, 25ml
Pros: It's ok, as long as you never wish to remove the rubber
Cons: When you peel the rubber off, it is impossible to remove all the residue
Score: 3/10

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 15:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

DHS No 15 50ml
Pros: Cheap, spreads easily, easily removable
Cons: Some bad batches around, rub too hard and the glue solidifies, not strong enough to hold a dome.
Score: 8/10

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 16:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
KOKUTAKU VOC FREE GLUE:likes:stays on blade for long pimple ox,srong bond rubber dosn`t detach.
dislikes:can lift up plies on some blades when removing rubber where the plies are not tight,blade must be sealed.thinner lp ox rubber might tear when removing.no good for sponged rubbers,pieces of sponge left on blade when removing rubber.difficult to remove from blade.
in a nutshell if you use a thicker base lp ox it`s ideal which is great for me just now.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 16:35 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks dazzler, added! Can you give it score based on how good you think it is AND how it's value for money?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 17:08 
Super User

Blade: Re-impact Tachi
FH: Palio Thor's
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Yasaka Mizunori, 25ml
Pros: It's ok, as long as you never wish to remove the rubber
Cons: When you peel the rubber off, it is impossible to remove all the residue
Score: 3/10

Blade: Re-Impact Tachi. BH: Grass DTecS (ox, new version) FH: Palio Thor's max

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 17:17 

Haifu water solubility bond 300ml (as printed on the blue bottle)

Pros:
Comparatively economical;
Cylindrical applier made of sponge(like a paint roller that doesn't roll) is relatively easy and fun to work with;
Looks like a thin-down version of Elmer's glue, easy to differentiate blade from glue

Cons:
3-month shelf life after opening(still good after that but the glue part tends to settle to the bottom, give a good stir and it is all fine);
Residues build up on the applier after some usage(cleaning after each use is strongly recommended);
Early batches come with a brush instead and was not-as-easy to put on thin and even spreads;
Have a hair-dryer handy, 1 min or so to dry with it, 5 mins or more otherwise;
Bottle instruction says 4-10 layers on sponge, I say 2-3 layers rather. 1 layer on blade as instructed is good enough. This stuff gets really thick after a few layers;
Strong smell comparable to VOC glue;
As with many water-based glues, splinters warning!

Edit:
So far no problem with bond
Score: 6/10

= 184.8g

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 21:22 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Stiga Attach Power Glue, 50mL

It's like a thinner version of the DHS No.15 glue, or a thicker version of Butterfly Free Chack, or Donic Vario Clean. It seems to set in far too quickly for my taste, very unlike Donic's or Butterfly's offering. I'm not very happy (again!), so I will skip this glue in the future.

• Bond seems relatively good, not enough for domed rubber I suppose.
  • Not easy to spread.
  • Easy to clean. Peels off the sponge nicely.
  • Relatively expensive compared to the Donic/Butterfly/DHS offering.
  • No free sponges?

DHS No.15 Glue, 98mL

Pasty consistency. Almost dry. I may have gotten a bad batch.

• Bond seems relatively better than most, enough for domed rubber, I would tend to think.
  • Not easy to spread.
  • Easy to know if the area has glue or not: white is fresh glue, translucent yellow is dry-tacky glue. In thick amounts, dry glue would be translucent yellow.
  • Easy to clean.
  • Relatively cheap compared to the Donic/Butterfly/Stiga offering.
  • No free sponges?

Butterfly Free Chack Glue, 90mL

It looks like liquid latex. Longer drying time in exchange for a silky-smooth application.

• Very easy to spread.
  • Relatively expensive compared to the Donic offering.

Donic Vario Clean Glue, 90mL

A thinner glue than the Butterfly Free Chack. Still very adequate for most jobs -- it's the glue I used to attach pip topsheet and sponge together, it's fantastic for that purpose.

• Very easy to spread.
  • Relatively cheaper compared to the Butterfly/Stiga offerings.

Haven't tried the other glues, but I definitely prefer an easy-spread, thinner glue, because I don't play with domed rubbers nowadays.

Last edited by Yuzuki on 01 May 2010, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2010, 22:20 
♫ Living On The Edge (Tape) ♫

Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Def
FH: Rakza Z MAX
BH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
So, what is your favourite from them Yuzuki?

I still need to try more glues before being able to compare them.

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 01:10 
Two Winged Warrior

In the beginning of the water glue era I used Dandoy glue. It was 10 euros for 100 ml, and I'm not to happy with it.

Pros
* bond is quite good, but only for flat rubbers. Domed ones are doomed to fail.
* easy to spread, bit to easy maybe :rofl:

Cons

*When you remove the rubber, the glue remains on the blade, and is very difficult to remove
*Drying time is a bit weird. On the package it doesn't have the right drying time. It's about half. Rubber and blade dry on a very different rate.
* Because it's easy to spread it just falls of domed rubbers :headbang:

Because of the glue remaining on the blade I don't use it anymore. :)

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 05:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Not a TT specific glue but have been using for almost 2 years now and done 50-60 rubbers with it without too much hassle, so:

Fullers Ultraclear Water-based silicon. 300g tube (available hardware stores)

Pros:
very cheap, don't need much and spread easily, the more used the stronger the bond for domes (also can be a con), bond is immediate for play, can also tile the bathroom with it LOL

Cons:
Leaves a gummy residue on blade that takes a bit to remove, if sponge is flimsy and too much is used it will rip when removing (only had this happen badly once on Bty Flextra sponge). Can lift splinters on some blades as most water-base glues can.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 07:57 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

All glues up to this point added, thanks guys, it's starting to look good!

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 08:14 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

haggisv, what about the Stiga Synchro BTG that you have used? I have tried it only once from Beer Belly.

Pro: bond is immediate after allowing the glue to dry on both the rubber and blade. Just a very thin layer is required. The glue stays on the rubber when removed from the blade and very easily rubbed off from the rubber after that.
Cons: The rubber can come off the blade rather easily if you accidentally hit the rubber against the table.

Conclusion: Of all the other water-based glue I have used, I like this one the best.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 08:32 
Two Winged Warrior

In that case I should add tear mender and Copydex. :)

Tear Mender

Pros:

- Quite cheap and easily available (Ebay / Amazon etcetera)
- Spreads easily
- Bond is good
- Relatively fast drying time
- Glue stays on the rubber is is very easy to pull off

Cons:
- Only available in cheap bottles without ridicules shipping costs.
- Wont hold domed rubbers
- You need quite a lot of glue for each time you use it, otherwise your chance of getting a bond which isn't strong is quite big.
-No brush or sponge delivered

7/10 for me

Copydex

Pros:

- Quite cheap (10 euros for 500 ml)
- Brush is included
- Bond is good
- Fast drying time (maybe a bit to fast)
- Glue stays on the rubber is is very easy to pull off
- Holds domed rubbers quite well. 10+ layers of Lampoil are no problem.
- Only need to glue the blade so it lasts quite a while

Cons:
- Glue must be put on the blade only, and that must be done precisely. If you don't, you have to start all over again. |-)
- Drying time is quite fast so applying the glue and putting the rubber on must be done quickly.
- Rubber can slide while you put it on the blade. Must be careful doing this otherwise you can start again.
- Brush can be a bit small at the 125 ml bottle. 250 ml + is absolutely fine.

8,5/10 for 250 ml + bottles/ 8/10 for 125ml bottle because of the small brush.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 12:14 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

cstt, I remember I read somewhere that with copydex, one can apply glue on both the rubber and blade. Wait for them to dry and then stick them together. Sounded very much like the way Stiga Synchro is used. And when peeling off the rubber from blade, the glue will stick to the rubber and can then be removed easily. Don't know if anyone has used Copydex this way can confirm? Thanks.

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 19:00 
Two Winged Warrior

I tried that the first couple of times and I just didn't stick. Lots of air underneath, I almost threw it away. I decided to read the instructions on the bottle: On paper, card and wood apply to one surface only. Well, that certainly helped :rofl:

Tear Mender is more like the method you suggest.